36.2% of Goal | 26 Days Left

Support:

Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm calling the SdJ market analysis experts here:
Now that Codenames has won the Spiel des Jahres award, how will the price of German copies at the German market likely develop? (Based on the experience with former winners and other factors)

I guess there will be a huge print run for the Christmas business (as this is definitely suitable for the mass market)?! But what about the price? When to buy if you don't need it asap??meeple

Feel free to share your insider information!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont think the price will change.
Not as far as I know anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Mc
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Codenames is already available for under €20, how many cents you hope to save by waiting?
I wouldn't expect to find it drop below €14.99 for another year or so.

Note: Last week, I picked up an extra copy of the 2015 winner, Colt Express, for under €9.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier REIX
France
Grenoble
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:

You are probably wrong (for german version).
Unless the editor strongly fight against it (see Days of Wonder for Ticket to Ride as the only case I know), the SdJ are sold at an extremly low price at Essen, Christmas and after in their German version (which seems kind of stupid to me as this is easy money).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gmc14 wrote:
Codenames is already available for under €20, how many cents you hope to save by waiting?

well, this is less about me being extra greedy than about "an applied study on the SdJ influence on board game pricing". (If I badly wanted it, I would have already bought it.)

I would also have assumed that the price will drop but not by too much because it is already rather low. (Obviously, there's a wider span to drop for a 40 € game.)

(Also, I guess the impact of the SdJ will be far lower for non-German versions.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ReiXou wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:

You are probably wrong (for german version).
Unless the editor strongly fight against it (see Days of Wonder for Ticket to Ride as the only case I know), the SdJ are sold at an extremly low price at Essen, Christmas and after in their German version (which seems kind of stupid to me as this is easy money).

It's not as simple as higher price giving increased profit - lower prices mean more sales, which can mean more overall profit even though the unit profit is reduced. And it's not as simple as a single optimum either - there are threshold effects, non-linear effects, hysteresis effects, and other complicating factors - you can be in a situation where you raise the price, see profits drop, return the price to what it was, and see profits drop still further - or do exactly the same thing and see profits rise both times.

Winning SdJ means that there's going to be an interest from people who wouldn't otherwise notice the game on the shelf, so lowering the price could pick up a lot of impulse buys (equally, you could probably price it higher than an equivalent non-winner and match the number of copies sold). Then there are secondary effects - brand recognition, indirect marketing of your other games, and so on - which generally reward getting your game into as many hands as possible, and may make it worth selling more cheaply even if your direct profit on the game is reduced in the process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.