$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 81.58

5,453 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
34.4% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Dominion: Empires» Forums » Rules

Subject: Castles with Keep and Wolf Den rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Yrle
United States
Conway
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played our first game last night - 2 player. We played with the Castles and 2 landmarks - Keep and Wolf Den.

Keep says to score 5 points if you have the most of a differently-named treasure card. Since Humble Castle is a treasure card and is on top of the pile for 3 dollars, as long as the first player has 3 coppers in his first hand, he can get basically a province (6 points) immediately. My son and I thought this was kind of unfair. Are we playing this correctly?

Wolf Den subtracts 3 points for each differently-named card that you have only one of. It seems this makes Castles much less attractive...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kolb
United States
Highland Park
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those Landmarks are scored at the end of the game. If the game were to end right there and then, you'd be absolutely right with the effective victory point value being the equivalent of a province.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Scothern
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, its a guaranteed 6 points - but then they have bought a humble castle as their first card (which wont lead to a particularly fast start for that player), while you have presumably bought something more useful - which might eventually net you more than 6 points over the entire game.

Who actually won? What were the final scores?

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wordoftheoracle wrote:
Landmarks are scored at the end of the game.
Those particular Landmarks do score at the end of the game. Not all of them do.

There's another single-card Treasure: Diadem. Although, that one is quite a bit harder to get.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kolb
United States
Highland Park
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
wordoftheoracle wrote:
Landmarks are scored at the end of the game.
Those particular Landmarks do score at the end of the game. Not all of them do.

There's another single-card Treasure: Diadem. Although, that one is quite a bit harder to get.


Whoops! I thought I wrote 'those' in there. I'll edit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Yrle
United States
Conway
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scotherns wrote:
Yes, its a guaranteed 6 points - but then they have bought a humble castle as their first card (which wont lead to a particularly fast start for that player), while you have presumably bought something more useful - which might eventually net you more than 6 points over the entire game.

Who actually won? What were the final scores?



I was first player and won 64-45. It was actually tied after counting up the victory point cards and tokens. But I was ahead of him in # of treasure cards in 4 of the 6 we played with, for +10 points due to the Keep. And he had a lot more castles than me and was hit hard by the Wolf Den - he lost 21 points to my 12.

We really enjoyed the first play, but it's obvious that this set will appeal more to the experienced Dominion players, especially when you add in the Landmarks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valiant64 wrote:
I was first player and won 64-45. It was actually tied after counting up the victory point cards and tokens. But I was ahead of him in # of treasure cards in 4 of the 6 we played with, for +10 points due to the Keep. And he had a lot more castles than me and was hit hard by the Wolf Den - he lost 21 points to my 12.

We really enjoyed the first play, but it's obvious that this set will appeal more to the experienced Dominion players, especially when you add in the Landmarks.


Crazy to spam Castles with Wolf Den out, IMO! This set is my new favorite, and I want to play with Landmarks in every game of Dominion now, because of how they change how you view certain kingdom cards in certain setups, like in this case.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.