Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just started playing Descent yesterday, and I'm enjoying it enough that I'm researching all the expansion content for the game.

As I am looking at all the content (!!!), it seems like all the heroes are the conventional white fantasy races (e.g. white humans, white elves and white dwarves). Are there any heroes of other ethnicities?

I know Magic: The Gathering is starting to break away from the white-dominant fantasy archetype. Just wondering if Descent is making any similar moves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan A.Y.
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mb
I think the biggest variety is in the new H&M pack shards of everdark, you get an orc, a minotaur, a giant and a backpacker!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Altasia wrote:
I think the biggest variety is in the new H&M pack shards of everdark, you get an orc, a minotaur, a giant and a backpacker!

I think you misundertand me. I mean, are there heroes that correspond to black Africans, Arabs, East Asians, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schreiber
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I too lament the lack of Asian elves in this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B-Rad
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've often pondered this same thing regarding pretty much all fantasy properties. I think some video games have addressed it much more progressively than the board-gaming world, though I don't think it's intentionally exclusive.

Examples where ethnicity was engaged well include Skyrim (Redguard) and Diablo 3 (and maybe the previous titles before part 3, but I can't remember). I've definitely seen more African-American characters popping up in Lovecraftian games, such as the Arkham Horror series, but you're right...most of the "mainstream" (more popular titles) don't seem to have a diverse ethnic roster, unless I'm missing some prime examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Eddy
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
I know what you mean. I wish there was a bit more diversity but it doesn't seem to be the direction they are taking. That said the base set imperial assault minis has some diversity in skin color.

Also, not that you should have to, but you could always paint the minis reflective of whatever race you want. I actually did this with my Middle Earth Quest minis. I had an extra set of every hero, so I painted "pallet swaps" of the characters. My new rider of Rohan is black and my dwarf definitely came out looking fairly middle eastern. it's not a great solution, but if that's what you are looking for in your game, it gives you some options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It is strange to me that there are nearly a hundred characters yet all the humans are white.

It's not as if other ethnicities don't exist in the world -- Kala from the Zanaga expansion of Runebound is black.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Anderson
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought Red Scorpion was Asian, although the new art in Runebound says otherwise.

Sahla previously looked like an Elf, but the new art/mini could easily be Asian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
familygaming wrote:
I think you misundertand me. I mean, are there heroes that correspond to black Africans, Arabs, East Asians, etc.

There are a few that look like they could be American Indian or South American (like Tatianna), East Asian (Serena), Middle Eastern (like Sahla, Tahlia) etc. But not a wide array at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's an issue of Lore vs historic bigotry. In this modern would we are become less accepting of casual discrimination and will notice it and call it out far more readily. However, a lot of the Lore/'history' for the game worlds we frequent were written in a time where it was not so 'open'. So it involves very carefully introducing the elements that should have been there from the start without making it feel too much like it's been shoe-horned in.

I don't have a simple answer to this, but I certainly feel companies should try harder to avoid too many 'white male only' scenarios, especially when creating new IP.

(I think I remember Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit films having some black elves? I've never seen a black Dwarf, of the mythical persuasion, however)

Difficult subject, so I hope nothing I've said has caused any offence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The hands on approach would be to simply paint your minis with the diversity you are looking for. Obviously, some sculpts will work better than others.

I am white, and so I admit I hadn't thought of it before. I can totally understand why gamers would want heroes (and villains) corresponding to the colour of their skin. Maybe a few tactful emails to FFG will bring about a needed change? I have really appreciated the portrayal of women (overall, there are some exceptions) in their games, so I would guess they would be at least sympathetic.

The other problem is that the standard fantasy world is set in what is basically Western Europe. Medieval hamlets and Gothic castles are populated with white people before we even think about it. If other parts of the "world" were explored I would hope to find greater diversity. How about a little pressure on FFG for some more diversity in the game world, and corresponding diversity in the characters. The game can only get better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
People tend to create things from their own state of mind and perception. Whites will tend to create white things, blacks black, and so on. I don't recall ever seeing anyone complain that Tyler Perry movies have a lack of diversity, for instance. Nothing is stopping a "minority" developer from creating things that are entirely non-white. In fact, I can think of plenty of products across various mediums created by Asians that are almost entirely Asian-centric, with again, no diversity. And again, there's no outcry. What's with the double standard?

In the days of Kickstarter (and other crowd-funding facilitators), there's nothing at all stopping people from creating what they'd like to see. Complaining that some white people created something primarily white is... well what's the point? Go create.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows of Brimstone has the same problem. I just paint them with different skin tones when I feel like it. Who cares if they don't match the cards. Here's a pic of my runebound 3rd and some SoB dudes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
familygaming wrote:
Altasia wrote:

I haven't read through all the responses just yet, but there are indeed characters of Arabian descent in the Runebound universe (especially from the 2e Sands of Al-Kalim expansion).

I don't remember seeing anybody of East Asian or sub-Saharan African descent, though.

As to why this is, well.. at best, it's due to the very eurocentric roots of Tolkien-esque fantasy tropes (i.e. why we don't see much diversity in films set in France, circa 12th century). This is no excuse, however. I for one welcome it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Landaker
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I agree, that is something that's missing. However, it is not too hard to make your own character sheets, paint their minis or use your own.

For example, using these resources:
Descent 2E Character Template and the GIMP
Descent Fonts

I made this (sorry for the bad paint job, it's my first mini!):

Blog post about making Descent 2E characters with the kids
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SeanLuc wrote:
People tend to create things from their own state of mind and perception. Whites will tend to create white things, blacks black, and so on. I don't recall ever seeing anyone complain that Tyler Perry movies have a lack of diversity, for instance. Nothing is stopping a "minority" developer from creating things that are entirely non-white. In fact, I can think of plenty of products across various mediums created by Asians that are almost entirely Asian-centric, with again, no diversity. And again, there's no outcry. What's with the double standard?

I'm not sure I understand the comparison of Tyler Perry films with generic fantasy board games?

It's not as though whiteness is a dominant aspect of Descent (whereas yes, Tyler Perry's films are primarily targeted towards a black audience). People don't play Descent because it has white heroes in it, and I don't think anyone is asking that they completely get rid of white heroes and replace them with a different race. It would just be nice if there was more balance so, y'know, there's something for every board gamer to enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SeanLuc wrote:
What's with the double standard?

In the days of Kickstarter (and other crowd-funding facilitators), there's nothing at all stopping people from creating what they'd like to see. Complaining that some white people created something primarily white is... well what's the point? Go create.

What double standard? I would like to play as a non-white character in Descent. That's it. That's a preference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are some great suggestions and resources in this thread! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
familygaming wrote:
SeanLuc wrote:

What double standard? I would like to play as a non-white character in Descent. That's it. That's a preference.

Right, and both of the responses to my post truncated the part where I said you can create your own content and/or game if there are things you would like to see that aren't getting created. I guess I grow weary of the constant calls for "diversity" ham-fistedly being shoved into anything white, but nothing of the sort for any other race/ethnicity's creations. Everything is always "too white," never "too _____."

That's the double standard I speak of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeanLuc wrote:
familygaming wrote:
SeanLuc wrote:

Right, and both of the responses to my post truncated the part where I said you can create your own content and/or game if there are things you would like to see that aren't getting created. I guess I grow weary of the constant calls for "diversity" ham-fistedly being shoved into anything white, but nothing of the sort for any other race/ethnicity's creations. Everything is always "too white," never "too _____."

That's the double standard I speak of.

It's only a double standard if all else be equal, and that isn't the case.

For example, is it a double standard that people always talk about helping those in poverty instead of helping those who are rich? No, because -- by virtue of their unequal positions -- the rich don't need help.

For all the Tyler Perry examples you can cite, a FAR larger list could be cited that are white only -- and what you seem to not understand is that the existence of the Tyler Perry phenomena is precisely in reaction to what I'll call the Friends phenomena.

That said, you're comments are wildly off base because they presume everybody at Fantasy Flight is white. This is an unknown proposition, so your presumption speaks volumes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
western fantasy has a historic bias towards having the humans be white.

Now that I think of it, even the elves and dwarves are white, unless they are the dark elves in Forgotten realms...

I bet if you sent an email to FFG requesting more ethnic diversity in the numerous Descent heroes, it would happen. I know Il'd prefer it. Its not the 50s anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
mateooo wrote:

Now that I think of it, even the elves and dwarves are white, unless they are the dark elves in Forgotten realms...

Yes, this is what I reference in my supposedly "wildly off base" comments. Whites created western fantasy, that's an indisputable fact. I don't see how that's off-base. Thanks for the assumption I'm some sort of jerk who needs to be called out though, Enon Sci/Anarchosyn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeanLuc wrote:
mateooo wrote:

Yes, this is what I reference in my supposedly "wildly off base" comments. Whites created western fantasy, that's an indisputable fact. I don't see how that's off-base. Thanks for the assumption I'm some sort of jerk who needs to be called out though, Enon Sci/Anarchosyn.

Based purely off what you're saying.

1. Your assumption that FFG is white, which is the implication of your comment that "whites make stuff with whites in it" presumption. Even if that was true, and not also lamentably regressive, it's an assumption which lays bare your views.

2. See my original commentary in this thread -- I effectively made the same observation about the eurocentric roots of fantasy you did. However, there is a large distinction between noting a cultural disparity and assuming it's some eternal truism that could never change.

For example, I could say it is a indisputable fact America was founded on principles that oversaw slavery and women not voting, but that "indisputable fact" has no bearing on future developments (as cultures change).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Welp, I just sent them an email. I told them how much I enjoy the game, and how great the app is (since it allows solo play!).

Then I just asked them to develop storylines that would allow characters from other parts of that game universe to join the Descent adventures (e.g. black and Arab characters).

I'll let you know if I hear back from them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, not all this again!

Make your own characters and backstory anyway you like before this thread ends up in RSP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.