Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirkwb
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

There aren't a lot of Strategy Threads yet, and I'm still wrapping my head around this new Crafting Mechanic so I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on what is a better 4 Mana play:

Is it better to pay 4 Mana to buy a Grasslands and put it on a Cursed Land or to buy 2 Fertile Grounds and put them on the Cursed land?

My friend and I are debating if Grasslands are good or not. Our conversation was around him buying 3 Grasslands for his deck essentially blanking 3 cursed lands so that he only had 6 Decay Symbols in his deck, but he also loses 3 Mana Symbols. The advantage is that he sets up bigger fields with more cards and has better odds to press his luck making them even bigger.

The results were good for him, as he won and scored pretty high in comparison to our first few games.

My thought on buying 2 Fertile Grounds instead makes your Cursed Lands produce more Mana, so you don't need bigger fields and you don't need to press as often. I feel like it's a gain of 3 Mana instead of a loss of 1 mana.

What are your guys' thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, there's context to consider. If it's early in the game, buying the 2 Fertile Soils (and putting them on blank cards) makes more sense because then those blank cards become productive the second time around.

As you've noted, the thing about Grasslands is to realize that although you are losing 1 point of Mana, you're gaining the potential chance to draw several more before hitting another Decay. It may not always work out that way, but statistically it works in your favor, especially as the game progresses. However, if it's later in the game, there's far better cards you could probably be picking up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This weekend I tried from the beginning of the game to push for 5 coin to get the advancement that cancels all decay on a card. I spoiled every time for 3 times through my deck before giving up. The takeaway is that during the early game you really have to increase your mana base. Grasslands is a cheap way to remove decay if you are trying for the whole deck in the field strategy, but it will slow you down a bit, and all of the other growth cards are 6 or 7 mana. So maybe you have to pass on the early Grasslands, openly disparage them a bit so others don't take them, and then snatch them up when you know you can make a 5 or 6 mana turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.