tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Monnat Jr
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked at several, and I don't see the plus sign. Do you have a link to an example? From what I've seen, there's no way they're reintroducing down thumbs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeorgeMo wrote:
I looked at several, and I don't see the plus sign. Do you have a link to an example? From what I've seen, there's no way they're reintroducing down thumbs.

I guess this is what the OP was thinking of

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Williamstown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably right. I suspect it's to give an idea of what that number actually means. The 2nd number has the "forum balloon" to indicate that it's the number of replies; the first has the "+" to indicate it's thumbs. Why not an actual thumb? Dunno. Why doesn't "0" warrant an indicator, in particular all the listed threads might have 0 thumbs, so then you'd have no immediate indicator for what the zeroes meant. Again, dunno.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Monnat Jr
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
Kim, that makes sense. Thank you for the graphical reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jaysachs wrote:
Probably right. I suspect it's to give an idea of what that number actually means. The 2nd number has the "forum balloon" to indicate that it's the number of replies; the first has the "+" to indicate it's thumbs. Why not an actual thumb? Dunno.
I'm pretty sure before they added the "+" I submitted feedback that it wasn't obvious what that number was and that they should add the thumb icon. Surprisingly, I do think that the "+" helps you understand, at least a little, that the number is supposed to be a thumb... but I'm perplexed why they didn't just use a thumb icon. It's still not unambiguously clear, and there's no reason they couldn't simply put the thumb icon and remove all confusion.

I don't understand why they decided an icon was a good choice for comments but not for thumbs. That seems like a silly inconsistency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes sense. Thumbs are recommends; often the equivalent of commenting on a thread with "+1". But yeah, a thumb icon would be just as good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A mouse-over tells you exactly what the numbers mean. Does that work on a smart phone?

The thumb icon is a good idea - that would make it <thumb icon><thumb count><reply icon><reply count>

rpggeek still has the old system where the thumb count is on the left and the reply count on the right of the thread title, with headings and no pluses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.