Hide
15 Posts

Pandemic Legacy: Season 1» Forums » Rules

Subject: "Play at any time" cards: during setup? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bpp complete
msg tools
Can I use funded events like Airlift /before/ the first player's turn?

Spoilers for mid-April:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
For example, you might want to do this if there's a faded figure on the city that you would otherwise start in to avoid getting a scar. Or

Spoilers for June:

you might want to use military equipment to destroy the faded figure before you start your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassy Whisperer
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I'd say that's gaming the system.

You can't act "before" yourany turns have started.

Sure, you can play airlift while it is someone else's turn. Any time cards can't interrupt something that's happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bpp complete
msg tools
pilotbob wrote:
Any time cards can't interrupt something that's happening.

That's true, but not an argument against what's going on here. You indeed can't play a "play at any time" card in the middle of resolving, say, an epidemic card.

But you aren't interrupting the resolution of anything -- in fact, you're playing them between steps of the setup process. Note that you are dealt cards in step 5 of setup, and you select your starting location in step 7. You don't begin your first turn until step 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bppcomplete wrote:
pilotbob wrote:

That's true, but not an argument against what's going on here. You indeed can't play a "play at any time" card in the middle of resolving, say, an epidemic card.

But you aren't interrupting the resolution of anything -- in fact, you're playing them between steps of the setup process. Note that you are dealt cards in step 5 of setup, and you select your starting location in step 7. You don't begin your first turn until step 10.

Quoted from previous answer...

1) You have an opportunity between EPIDEMIC! and Infector phase to play cards (specials). Maybe it'll be ONE QUIET NIGHT. Perhaps someone can FORECAST what the cities will be. Maybe you can AIRLIFT the MEDIC to a city with 3 disesase cubes of a CURED disease that might OUTBREAK this turn. Perhaps one of the cities becomes a RESILIENT POPULATION.

Playing of specials, especially right after an EPIDEMIC! and before the Infector stage (or just as the shuffled discards are placed back on top) is a really good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassy Whisperer
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:
bppcomplete wrote:
pilotbob wrote:

Quoted from previous answer...

1) You have an opportunity between EPIDEMIC! and Infector phase to play cards (specials). Maybe it'll be ONE QUIET NIGHT. Perhaps someone can FORECAST what the cities will be. Maybe you can AIRLIFT the MEDIC to a city with 3 disesase cubes of a CURED disease that might OUTBREAK this turn. Perhaps one of the cities becomes a RESILIENT POPULATION.

Playing of specials, especially right after an EPIDEMIC! and before the Infector stage (or just as the shuffled discards are placed back on top) is a really good idea.

Right, once again, not interrupting anything.

He wants to play a card before the game even starts, which means interrupting the "players turn begins" which something important happens in Legacy (see his spoiler) which he wants to avoid.

Of course, it's his game, if he wants to play it that way, cool. But, in my opinion it is not valid to play an any time card between setup and first players turn starts since you're playing a card before the game begins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not? Does he have to wait for first player to perform one action first or something?

I think once setup is completed, any time cards are fair play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jedimusic wrote:
Why not? Does he have to wait for first player to perform one action first or something?

As soon as it's the first players turn, ie all the setup actions are completed, sure he can play a card.

But he can't see a card come up on the game setup to put cubes in say Atlanta, and play a card to stop that card from infecting Atlanta.

I believe that is what he is asking and that is not allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassy Whisperer
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jedimusic wrote:

Did you read the spoiler? Perhaps you are not that far in the game. But, there is something that happens to you if "at the start of your turn" you meet some condition. He wants to play a card before the start of the first players turn to negate that condition being meet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah B
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Penfold: Have you got something clever up your sleeve, DM? Dangermouse: Only my arm, Penfold, and that's no cleverer than the rest of me.
mbmbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:
As soon as it's the first players turn, ie all the setup actions are completed, sure he can play a card.

But he can't see a card come up on the game setup to put cubes in say Atlanta, and play a card to stop that card from infecting Atlanta.

I agree with this. While setup is happening, gameplay actions (including funded events and character abilities) can't be taken or used; once setup is complete, the game begins and an 'at any time' card can be played.

BUT ... the important part is that the game has begun. Once the game begins, it's someone's turn. There's no grey area between setup and gameplay where you can play cards but it's nobody's turn. It's always somebody's turn, and all the rules apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
It's an interesting question and I don't have any more definitive an answer than anybody else, though I'm tempted to say you can't start doing miscellaneous stuff until the first player's first turn has begun.

To demonstrate the kind of absurdity that could result if the ruling went the other way (start of May spoiler):
Suppose you had two players and one of them was dealt four cards of the same colour. And suppose that disease had all the positive mutations.

Could the player cure that disease during step 5 of setup, or immediately after it?

If so, what if they then chose the Colonel as their character in step 7?

At a more practical level, note that you get to see the lie of the land before choosing which research station you want everybody to start at. If you only have one, or you choose one that lands people in trouble, maybe you only have yourselves to blame. :-p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BookieG wrote:
isellsunshine wrote:

I agree with this. While setup is happening, gameplay actions (including funded events and character abilities) can't be taken or used; once setup is complete, the game begins and an 'at any time' card can be played.

BUT ... the important part is that the game has begun. Once the game begins, it's someone's turn. There's no grey area between setup and gameplay where you can play cards but it's nobody's turn. It's always somebody's turn, and all the rules apply.

Wait. Are you saying he CAN play a card, say "One Quiet Night" to stop the cubes being placed during setup in Atlanta?

No way.

The board is setup in it's entirety...then it's the first players turn and they can play any card they want, but those 18 "cubes" are on the board at the start of the first players turn - no getting around that.

I don't think there is any grey area here with regards to that.

So ya, the first player is going to get a scar, unless you have another permanent research station to start in. You can't play your medical equipment card until its someone's turn and by then the scar already happened. But you can play it to prevent any other players from getting one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bpp complete
msg tools
isellsunshine wrote:

Wait. Are you saying he CAN play a card, say "One Quiet Night" to stop the cubes being placed during setup in Atlanta?

You don't have a hand when the cubes are put out, so this can't work right anyway. I'd argue that that's why setup is done in this order -- cubes first, then hands, then roles.

This rules question never ended up mattering in the game we played, as we were playing 2p and there was a 50% chance that my character would start first. Due to random luck, it didn't, and so I was able to use my cards on the starting player's turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah B
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Penfold: Have you got something clever up your sleeve, DM? Dangermouse: Only my arm, Penfold, and that's no cleverer than the rest of me.
mbmbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:

No, I'm definitely not saying that! I'm saying the options are that:

* it's setup time and you can't play cards.
* the game starts, it's someone's turn and you can play cards. The first player's turn starts the moment the game starts.

If the first player starts in a city with a faded figure, there's no way another player can play a card before the first player's turn to remove the faded figure. The only thing before the first player's turn is setup, and you can't play cards during setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
However (End of August spoilers):

I would argue that you can use an existing Med Kit to prevent the scar in that situation, so it's not quite 100% unavoidable
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BookieG wrote:
isellsunshine wrote:

No, I'm definitely not saying that! I'm saying the options are that:

* it's setup time and you can't play cards.
* the game starts, it's someone's turn and you can play cards. The first player's turn starts the moment the game starts.

If the first player starts in a city with a faded figure, there's no way another player can play a card before the first player's turn to remove the faded figure. The only thing before the first player's turn is setup, and you can't play cards during setup.

Yeah, I agree with all of this. Pandemic doesn't seem to have a concept of time between players' turns. It's always someone's turn. So as soon as setup is complete, player 1's turn has begun. I don't think there's any way to play a card before player 1 is considered to have started their turn, at which point it's too late to accomplish what OP wants to accomplish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.