Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Berger
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, someone posted a link here, yesterday, to this: (edit: URL removed due to possible rules violation - it was a link to a redesign contest for the 30th Anniversary of the game.)

Which seems interesting.

I posted a reply to it yesterday, inquiring as to why there is a £9 entry fee. Because as far as I can tell, they are soliciting design ideas, with the only prize being that your ruleset will get printed and you can chat with the designer. So it seems like they're already getting something out of the deal. I don't necessarily think they need to offer a cash prize or offer to pay for amateur design ideas, but seems a little scammy to be requesting 9 quid for the privilege of looking at your submission.

I respect (and mentioned yesterday) that I may be missing something. Maybe that £9 also gets you a copy of the game? I don't know, but I didn't see that in the posted rules. I don't think the designers are trying to scam anyone or make a load of money (and £9 per entry to a contest for a pretty obscure old game isn't going to make anyone rich), but just questioning it.

And now today, the original post and my reponse are gone.

Did looking at the BGG entry for this game cause me to go insane?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see it too, so either we're both nuts or it's real.

What a very strange thing this is. Why would anyone pay £9 to enter the competition? Who even owns a copy of the game to begin with?

I think I see an opportunity though. I hereby announce that I am running the exact same competition, except mine only costs five pounds to enter, and I'll send you a signed photo of someone if you win. Kerching!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw it too. But I don't have £9. The £9 I had has mysteriously disappeared overnight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
arkayn wrote:

No, it was deleted by the moderators. BGG does not allow unofficial competitions to be run or promoted on BGG. And, as you say, the entry fee makes it look worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
arkayn wrote:

No, it was deleted by the moderators. BGG does not allow unofficial competitions to be run or promoted on BGG. And, as you say, the entry fee makes it look worse.

Oh. That seems like an odd rule to me, but I will edit the url out of the first post in that case.

Unfortunately, there's no indication that a post was deleted, so no way to know that it was deleted due to a rules violation without asking. (My first guess was that the OP had deleted it due to my question, though I would have thought my question would stick around in that case.)

As I said, though, the entry fee looks bad and I don't understand it, but it's not like the designers are going to get rich from it, and maybe there's a reasonable explanation. Either way, I personally would have thought about participating, but am highly unlikely to pay for the privilege.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
arkayn wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
arkayn wrote:

Oh. That seems like an odd rule to me, but I will edit the url out of the first post in that case.

Advertisers pay to run competitions here. Forbidding other competitions is BGG protecting their income.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United Kingdom
HITCHIN
HERTS
flag msg tools
mbmb
No need to roll for a sanity check I was the original poster! The post was deleted for violating the rules (advertising a competition) but I did so innocently. The designers were talking about putting together all the parts they had left over for BotH and selling them but wanted to revisit the rules and its the 30th anniversary so this turned into the competition. I assumed that you would get a copy of the game if you were in the top 30 but it does not say so.

I am sure that there is a great game hidden inside the original release.

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
therdfamily wrote:
I am sure that there is a great game hidden inside the original release.

Now that I've actually read through the original rules, I'm pretty sure it's an amazing, if ridiculous and possibly stupid, game as written.

Also, after thinking it through and investigating, I think that a copy of the game is included for the entry fee, even though the official rules don't say so.

Also, also, I'm pretty sure I have the best idea ever for an alternate ruleset. I'm just going to go ahead and assume that including a stock chart on the back of the rulebook and requiring that the players have poker chips doesn't violate the "must not use any additional components" stipulation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
Also, after thinking it through and investigating, I think that a copy of the game is included for the entry fee, even though the official rules don't say so.

Turns out, no. The entry fee is entirely to compensate them for the time spent in reviewing entries. Value judgments aside (hey, it's their contest, they can run it however they wish, the designer was plenty nice when I questioned him about it, and it's not like the fee is astronomical or going to make them rich), I won't be participating in the official contest. But strongly considering sketching out a design and posting it here, in the Variants section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.