Castles of Mad King Ludwig» Forums » Variants

Subject: Scoring everything at the end of the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin Chaddock
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I find scoring during the game bogs down the pace, and results in errors creeping in. I also rather like not knowing who is in the lead.
(7 Wonder's scoring system is genius in these regards)

Beyond the wild bonuses chosen when completing positive even-numbered basement rooms, is there any mechanical reason the room scores can't be determined from the board state alone, and thus be deferred until the end of the game?

A complimentary question to this; would there be any interest in an Android app for automatically scoring your room layout? (using a photo of the board state)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Completing every other downstairs room allows you to take any of the other benefits. You'd have to remember if you took one that scores points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Locke
United States
St. Paul
MN - Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
TehJumpingJawa wrote:
I find scoring during the game bogs down the pace, and results in errors creeping in. I also rather like not knowing who is in the lead.
(7 Wonder's scoring system is genius in these regards)

Beyond the wild bonuses chosen when completing positive even-numbered basement rooms, is there any mechanical reason the room scores can't be determined from the board state alone, and thus be deferred until the end of the game?

A complimentary question to this; would there be any interest in an Android app for automatically scoring your room layout? (using a photo of the board state)

Having a photo app that determined points, square footage, etc, would be nice, especially since it would encourage me to upload more photos of game results to BGG.

As for your first question, I've found that you can re-score castles at the end, with the exception being basement bonuses for 5 points (I find that most players almost never do this bonus, however).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also the re-score a room bonus that gives points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:

And that one changes depending on what else was in the castle at the time it was scored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar daros
msg tools
We play 2-player COMKL with 3 King's favors instead of 2 and keep them hidden until end game. Try it sometime and you'll see a nice improvement. More chance; more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scoring at the end does make things faster/smoother during gameplay. As for the basement/other random scoring that can happen, you could use something for victory point tokens (ex: lord of waterdeep) to give players to represent those points.

Also keep in mind the starting points based on turn order. I somehow always forget those and wonder why my count comes up a few points off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Chaddock
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
downeymb wrote:
downeymb wrote:

And that one changes depending on what else was in the castle at the time it was scored.

From my reading of the rules, I'd interpreted that as the bonus from downstairs rooms applies to future rooms built of the relevant type, scoring such a room twice would behave in the same way (and thus would be fully determinable from the visual state of the endgame board).

Still, the player's choice of bonus from downstairs rooms does need to be calculated separately, or at least recorded via a token of some kind.
This seems like a blemish on the otherwise orderly & implicit record keeping that the game's components & mechanics produce.

I wonder if the designer play tested a 'score at the end' version of the game; seems like it'd require fewer components, would play quicker & more fluidly, and might even be a touch more exciting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Gass
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't really see how keeping score throughout the game slows things down. After your turn you count up the points you got while the next player decides what to buy. And then you just tell whoever is closest to the score board to move red up by 6 points or whatever. It seems like it would take much longer to count up all of your bonuses at the end of the game than to keep track of them throughout. That plus the problem keeping track of downstairs bonuses makes it strange to me to want to do everything at the end.

Also, seeing who is in the lead throughout the game (ignoring hidden goals) is somewhat important so that people can price things accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Chaddock
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Had chance to play a game this evening, and found it to be a much smoother experience; it also made the end game scoring more interesting!

I highly recommend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Brown
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Flame112 wrote:
I don't really see how keeping score throughout the game slows things down.

The problem with in-game scoring to me is not slowing things down, but there are three common errors that I see. One is making sure the right color is credited with the points. A player's color is not prominently displayed, and it is easy to get confused, especially if you just played a different game and the color assignments were different. Second is that players forget to get credit for the basement bonuses when they add a new room, and sometime after their turn is over, they will ask if they got their 2 point bonus when they built their utility room last turn, etc. Third is that darn scoring track with its winding left right/right-left mechanic that makes me always wonder if my piece was moved the right direction.

Scoring at the end of the game is not difficult, but I think is harder for new players. If I were playing with all experienced players, I would be very happy to do the end game scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harrison
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
As mentioned, the main problem here will be the basement rooms, especially if someone chose the rescore completion bonus (and to a lesser extent the 5 point bonus), since this scores the room according to the current board state.

You can get away with keeping track of the 5-point bonus with a marker I suppose, but at a bare minimum you're going to have to score a basement room which chose the rescore living room reward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.