$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 99.18

6,303 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
39.7% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Near and Far» Forums » General

Subject: Yet another "questions after reading the rules" thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't always have the same group of people playing at game night. I understand that there are enough adventurer slips in the game to accommodate several people, but is there a way to accommodate players with different experience levels in the campaign mode? For example, if three people have already played two quests, but this is the first play for the fourth player, how do we adjust for that? Story mode seems to sort of mitigate this as you can't play map 11 until all players have hit a certain level, but it still doesn't compensate for players that have more or fewer talents than everyone else.

What is the actual play time of the game? This is not in the manual or on the KS page. BGG says 60-120 minutes, but its not clear where this number came from. If correct, does this mean 30 min per player or, again, how is this number derived?

I feel as though I am missing something when reading the rules for treasure icons on the map. You get a treasure for passing over the icon so long as both sides are not occupied. If you are the first person to get to a treasure icon, what is to stop you from simply moving back and forth across the two spots and hoarding treasures?

The Treasure section notes that once both sides of the icon are occupied, you ignore the icon for the rest of the game. Can camps ever be destroyed? If so, how do you mark a treasure icon as being inactive?

Similar to the above, there is nothing in the rulebook that prevents you from backtracking during movement. I'm not sure if there are other reasons why you might want to do this, but is this intentional?

Page 23 is blank. Is this intentional or is there something wrong with my PDF? Similarly, page 29 has a header for Map Specific Rules, but the page is blank save the Credits.

I am confused by the numbers on the quest descriptions. The example encounter on page 16 of the manual has two paragraphs. One says Skill 4 - Find a way around; the other says Skill 6 - Climb the Cliff. However, both encounters have an outcome if you get four points and six points. Why is the 4 and the 6 after the word "Skill" when it doesn't appear to have any relevance to the outcome? Similarly, on page 27, the last encounter says Skill 4 - Convince John's Crew, but the rewards trigger at 3 and 5. How is the 4 relevant to the outcome?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenna Asplund
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmb
davypi wrote:
I don't always have the same group of people playing at game night. I understand that there are enough adventurer slips in the game to accommodate several people, but is there a way to accommodate players with different experience levels in the campaign mode? For example, if three people have already played two quests, but this is the first play for the fourth player, how do we adjust for that? Story mode seems to sort of mitigate this as you can't play map 11 until all players have hit a certain level, but it still doesn't compensate for players that have more or fewer talents than everyone else.


To add a new player in the middle of a campaign, grant them a similar number of experience points as the other players and let them spend the points for skills. If you do that then there should be a fairly even playing field.

davypi wrote:
What is the actual play time of the game? This is not in the manual or on the KS page. BGG says 60-120 minutes, but its not clear where this number came from. If correct, does this mean 30 min per player or, again, how is this number derived?


I'm not sure where the BGG number comes from. On the Kickstarter page we have the time listed as 90 minutes.

davypi wrote:
I feel as though I am missing something when reading the rules for treasure icons on the map. You get a treasure for passing over the icon so long as both sides are not occupied. If you are the first person to get to a treasure icon, what is to stop you from simply moving back and forth across the two spots and hoarding treasures?



There's nothing to stop you from doing that. In our play throughs I've done this a couple of times (but with threats rather then treasures).

The main disincentive is that it wastes resources (-1 food for passing over a blank space) and time (if you take a full turn and only move 1 space to get the treasure). You can spend a bunch of turns jumping back and forth over a treasure space, but still lose to someone who spent that time more productively.


davypi wrote:
The Treasure section notes that once both sides of the icon are occupied, you ignore the icon for the rest of the game. Can camps ever be destroyed? If so, how do you mark a treasure icon as being inactive?


Camps cannot be destroyed. Camps are permanent once built.

davypi wrote:
Similar to the above, there is nothing in the rulebook that prevents you from backtracking during movement. I'm not sure if there are other reasons why you might want to do this, but is this intentional?


Backtracking during movement would, in most cases, not be very helpful. At the start of the game, players only have two movement per turn, with maybe moving to 3 or 4 by the end (in one game I ended up as high as 6 but I focused a lot on building my movement). It also costs food to travel over empty spaces, and players have a max of 7 food at a time. But I'll talk to Ryan and we might add a specific rule to address this.

davypi wrote:
Page 23 is blank. Is this intentional or is there something wrong with my PDF? Similarly, page 29 has a header for Map Specific Rules, but the page is blank save the Credits.


Pg 23 might just be an error. As for the map specific rules: The map designs haven't been completely finalized, so neither have the rules that go with them.

davypi wrote:
I am confused by the numbers on the quest descriptions. The example encounter on page 16 of the manual has two paragraphs. One says Skill 4 - Find a way around; the other says Skill 6 - Climb the Cliff. However, both encounters have an outcome if you get four points and six points. Why is the 4 and the 6 after the word "Skill" when it doesn't appear to have any relevance to the outcome? Similarly, on page 27, the last encounter says Skill 4 - Convince John's Crew, but the rewards trigger at 3 and 5. How is the 4 relevant to the outcome?


Those are typos. The first results number should always match the skill pr combat number, with the second number being 2 above.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.