Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Will I like Arboretum?

I like card game in general

I know these games are quite different but its too help you to help me to know if I will like Arboretum or not.

My favorite card game is Tichu

I like to guess what players have in hands or will play.

I played poker as a living for few years.

I played MTG for years (but not anymore i hates it now) when you can kill your opponent in 1-3 turn because of combos, its time to play a better game.

I bought Red7 on the hype but was a bit disappointed, it is not amazing, just ok.

I really like engine game like Glory to Rome, Bruges, both amazing games. Race for the galaxy, but hate the iconic system of it.

I like Nations live and TTA (online only, too long live)

Enjoy Jaipur

Dont really like the randomness of Citadels.

ty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Jenson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's out of print, so you might want to find another game that's similar and less expensive. If you can get it for MSRP, just buy it, you can always resell it here or trade it if you don't like it.

You could try Ashes, Rise of the Pheonix Born, Summoner Wars, Seasons, all those are variable hand card games.

Good luck. You might check out Rahdo's reviews, since he does heavier games, Shut Up and Sit Down, or even Heavy Cardboard, they discuss more complex games, to find something that you would like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Thomas
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Its a great game. Every card matters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on what you've said, and if you can find a copy for a decent price - yes, you would like it.

The only thing that you have to make sure you don't mind, is that the game has a "spatial" aspect. If you're cool with that, I'd jump on the opportunity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
You would probably like both Arboretum and Parade, which were part of the same "pretty box" series.

Specifically, Arboretum isn't as much about guessing what an opponent will play as it is about guessing what they're holding back in their hand, which I find every bit as fun.

Parade is closer to a traditional card game like Tichu, and plays quickly and cleverly. It's not all that complex, but it's also not too expensive if you can find it in-store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwill2 wrote:
It's out of print, so you might want to find another game that's similar and less expensive

Zany Penguins

How you score is done in reverse. It is lighter, but it also plays quicker. 20 minutes is a legit play time, so it might be too light for some. Dan King and Zee both gave it positive reviews. I, obviously, enjoy it as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpotato wrote:
I played poker as a living for few years.

I played MTG for years (but not anymore i hates it now) when you can kill your opponent in 1-3 turn because of combos, its time to play a better game.

You also might want to look into Hocus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.