Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MJ David
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I think the subject pretty much says it all. A good chunk of our gaming is 2-player, and while this clearly plays 2, I don't have a sense of how well it actually plays at that count. Any feedback from those who have played it is definitely welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
chezsnark wrote:

I think the subject pretty much says it all. A good chunk of our gaming is 2-player, and while this clearly plays 2, I don't have a sense of how well it actually plays at that count. Any feedback from those who have played it is definitely welcome.

Well, my two cents is going to be a bit biased, but since I've played Fate countless times as two-player over the course of development I'll chime in. I love playing Fate with two players. It moves along a bit quicker than a three- and four-player game, and takes on more of the feel of a game like Magic: The Gathering where there is an ebb and flow between the two opponents as the game progresses. Co-designer Darrell Louder and I have had some truly epic two-player showdowns over the past few months, and more than a few come-from-behind victories where the other player seemed against the ropes and going down hard.

When we set out to develop Fate we wanted the two-player experience to be just as robust as three and four. We also wanted to minimize the amount of rules changes for the two player game. After a lot of development (mostly in tweaking the Streets of Arkham Location) the only change now is that you need two Fate Pieces in order to play. That's it. And it works like a charm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hayward
msg tools
designer
mb
I've played it a few times at two players: it's fun! It's shorter than the 3-4 player game (as you'd expect), and it has a much more strategic feel. Because there's only the two of you, there's a lot more back and forth, and more of a temptation to pick a tactic and go all-in on that.

When I get my copy, I'm probably going to play it mostly as a one-on-one game.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MJ David
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys - now to see how the budget shakes out.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.