Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to send out kudos to the Customer Support People at Iello.

I lost one of the temples for the game Mexica at a gaming night in Chaucer's Pub in London, Ont. I had lent it to another group and it was they who noticed a temple was missing. After checking everywhere I tried to assure them that it must have been lost last week (that was the week I failed to check under the table for any parts that had fallen off the table). To their credit they felt bad despite my expressed confidence that they had not lost any pieces.

Not only did I feel bad for their unfounded guilt, but I was also down about losing a component for a game that was not only great to play but visually pleasing to the eye.

I only relate the above to illustrate how important it was to me to keep this set complete, and to be able to tell the group not to worry; I had replaced the piece.

I emailed Iello and asked if I could buy a replacement piece. I let them know I had lost it and asked how much it would cost (including shipping). Danni from Iello responded that afternoon and told me the part was in the mail. No cost was ever discussed and this was more than generous; I had definitely lost the part, not them.

Last year I had contacted another game publisher with a similar request only to receive a terse "We don't sell game parts". Next time I am looking at a game and notice "Iello" printed on the box, I will remember their customer support.

Thanks Iello and Danni, good Kharma!

ps to the staff who checked the lost-and-found in Chaucer's Pub, thanks for taking the time to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danni Loe-Sterphone
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
publisher
Customer Service, Translator, Webmaster, Reviewer Contact for IELLO USA
badge
Ask me stuff! I'll help you!
mbmbmbmbmb
You are so welcome! I'm glad I was able to help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Ruppelt
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to hear. Helps me decide where I spend my hard earned dough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TomAquin wrote:
I would like to send out kudos to the Customer Support People at Iello.

I lost one of the temples for the game Mexica at a gaming night in Chaucer's Pub in London, Ont. I had lent it to another group and it was they who noticed a temple was missing. After checking everywhere I tried to assure them that it must have been lost last week (that was the week I failed to check under the table for any parts that had fallen off the table). To their credit they felt bad despite my expressed confidence that they had not lost any pieces.

Not only did I feel bad for their unfounded guilt, but I was also down about losing a component for a game that was not only great to play but visually pleasing to the eye.

I only relate the above to illustrate how important it was to me to keep this set complete, and to be able to tell the group not to worry; I had replaced the piece.

I emailed Iello and asked if I could buy a replacement piece. I let them know I had lost it and asked how much it would cost (including shipping). Danni from Iello responded that afternoon and told me the part was in the mail. No cost was ever discussed and this was more than generous; I had definitely lost the part, not them.

Last year I had contacted another game publisher with a similar request only to receive a terse "We don't sell game parts". Next time I am looking at a game and notice "Iello" printed on the box, I will remember their customer support.

Thanks Iello and Danni, good Kharma!

ps to the staff who checked the lost-and-found in Chaucer's Pub, thanks for taking the time to do so.

Before slamming a company completely as to their policy regarding game parts, understand they don't have a collection of spare parts. Usually they have to open a copy of the game they could have sold in order to fish out that piece. I saw a thread about a year ago where a user was ripping Rio Grande Games for charging him between 4 and 5 bucks for a card he lost (the charge was for shipping, handling, and the card). He thought he was being ripped off but failed to consider the actual cost the company was assuming by opening a new copy of the game to replace that card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Loe-Sterphone
United States
Goleta
CA
flag msg tools
mb
And yet here we have an example of a company doing just that. I don't necessarily think that every company needs to give away parts and pieces (that's just an added bonus of dealing with IELLO), but to not have replacement pieces available is really rough. GMT Games, for example, has replacement pieces available for purchase. Why should I have to buy an entire new copy of a game if all I've done is lost one piece? It makes sense for publishers and distributors to have this service available. They don't take on so much of an extra cost that it is untenable. Again, we have examples of perfectly solvent and profitable companies giving away pieces, and of perfectly solvent and profitable companies that sell replacement pieces.

While, yes, we should be thinking about the cost for the publisher/distributor (because I really don't think that we should expect replacement pieces for free), it seems wholly reasonable to be displeased that you cannot buy replacements. Especially for expensive games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely agree IELLO is great for doing that. They went above and beyond. But we cannot expect that generosity to be the norm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Loe-Sterphone
United States
Goleta
CA
flag msg tools
mb
I've not said anything like that. I don't expect companies to give out replacement parts and pieces. Its great that IELLO does.

What I am saying is that I think it is completely fair for us, as consumers, to expect and request that companies provide replacement parts and pieces for purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
...They went above and beyond...

And I appreciated that they did.

...I will now go back to gaming. Probably play a game of Mexica.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Champion
United States
California
flag msg tools
Never gonna be 40
badge
With stops in Anaheim, Azusa, and Cucamonga!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to chime in and also say how impressed I am with IELLO customer service.

I had a defect in a game I recently purchased, so I contacted them about it. Danni responded back right away and sent me replacement parts. I feel that, above all else, they really wanted to make sure that I was completely satisfied with my purchase, and I really appreciate Danni's help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danni Loe-Sterphone
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
publisher
Customer Service, Translator, Webmaster, Reviewer Contact for IELLO USA
badge
Ask me stuff! I'll help you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aw shoot, we appreciate you too! modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Brissaud
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind message.

We believe that we owe you, our customers, the highest level of service. There are many great games on the market and we appreciate your trust and your support when you choose our games.
Often, we ask the factory to send us a case of spare parts and we use those for replacements. But if we don't we do open a new game.

This has indeed a cost but we think it is well worth it when we read your messages and know your experience with our company is carrying behind the simple act of purchasing our games.

Keep on gaming!

Stephan Brissaud - COO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.