Subject: Darth Vader Stress rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Eric Catalano
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello Fellow X-Wingers!

I have a question regarding Darth Vader as a Pilot. I do like how he is allowed to do 2 actions per turn. I need some clarification on the following. When Darth receives stress from a K-turn, hitting another ship or getting hit by another ship and receives stress does this kill the ability to perform both actions or just one? Usually stress cancels the ability for normal ships to perform an action. Thanks for the clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb

Did I misread the post title?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
No action can be performed while stressed, from any source.

Also, if the action step is skipped, he misses both actions. (Or should I say missus?)

(Getting hit by another ship does not actually matter. It is a problem for the ship that is activating, not Vader. Except Vader can't then attack a ship that is touching his ship.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an aside this is similar to why Vader does not get two actions if he triggers advanced sensors. He performs two actions during the "perform action step." If he is stressed/crashes/runs over an obstacle or has performed an action with advanced sensors he does not participate in the perform action step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Eric Catalano
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think I might have to disagree with any kind of stress voids every action (other ships besides Vader) on the basis that Vader is powerful enough to perform two actions then why isn't Vader powerful enough to take on one stress and perform the second action? I maybe over thinking this a bit for a game but it does have some merit doesn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Reece
United States
Post Falls
ID
flag msg tools
In theory you might try and make a case that Vader is powerful enough that 1 stress might not have an impact on him, but the rules clearly state otherwise.

"A ship is stressed while it has a stress token assigned to it. A stressed ship cannot execute red maneuvers or perform actions, even free actions."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Eric Catalano
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
That's one of the reasons why I do not use advanced sensors on Vader and below is my list I usually use and is quite effective:

Vader + Veteran Instincts + Engine Upgrade + Advanced Targeting Computers

Then assisted by an Interceptor and two regular TIEs.

Also I would not consider Vader's second action to be "free" as that is part of his skill set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
You can disagree, but you would be wrong.

The condition of being stressed prevents the performance of all actions, with two exceptions: Tycho Celchu (an A-Wing pilot whose ability is 'can perform actions whilst stressed' and whose players as a result often make a game of seeing how many tokens they can assign him in a game, at a rate of 4 or more per turn from Push the Limit, Rage, and Experimental Interface) and "Chopper" crew, a Rebel crew slot which costs 0 points and allows the ship he's on to perform actions whilst stressed, at a cost of 1 damage per action.

You are over thinking it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Test Candidate (sans Deadly Neurotoxin)
badge
Warming up the deadly neurotoxin...
mbmbmbmbmb
As Previously quoted:

"A ship is stressed while it has a stress token
assigned to it. A stressed ship cannot execute red
maneuvers or perform actions, even free actions."

A stressed ship can NOT perform any actions, free or otherwise. Done. There are Pilot abilities and Crew abilities that change this, Vader's is not one of them. His ability is quite specific.

"During your "Perform Action" step, you may perform 2 actions."

He gets two actions in one very specific situation. If he overlaps he skips that step, so he gets no actions. Advanced sensors are before movement, and also skip that step, so only one action.

You can try and justify all you want, but Vader does not get to ignore stress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and yes, using advanced sensors is a poor idea with vader. that would negate his pilot ability all together if you use advanced sensors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

Did I misread the post title?

Impressive. Most impressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.