Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glenn Eikenberry
United States
Arlington Heights
Il
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any pattern to Rosenberg's games and the artist? Obviously, Klemens Franz did each of the Harvest Trilogy + Caverna, but more recent ones that aren't as...agricultural have been Lohausen (Glass Road, Arle, now AFFO). Is there any particular reason for that? Anyone know about the inner workings here?

(I'm sure it has to do with the publishers involved, but that probably invites other questions - why do AFFO through Feuerland and not Lookout?) Just curious here, and unreasonably excited about this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wißner
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you say, it's because of the publishers: Feuerland works with Dennis Lohausen and Lookout with Klemens Franz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mb
Uwe appears to working less and less with Lookout. Furthermore, Feuerland Spiele is part-owned by Uwe so there's surely a better business reason for him making games for his own company (although he does seems to still have games published by others).

I personally think something happening between Uwe and Lookout around the time of Lookout's acquisition by Mayfair (but that's probably me being suspicious).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Paterson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JJWonderboy wrote:
Uwe appears to working less and less with Lookout. Furthermore, Feuerland Spiele is part-owned by Uwe so there's surely a better business reason for him making games for his own company (although he does seems to still have games published by others).

I personally think something happening between Uwe and Lookout around the time of Lookout's acquisition by Mayfair (but that's probably me being suspicious).

Wait... isn't Lookout also owned (at least in part) by Uwe Rosenberg?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Eikenberry
United States
Arlington Heights
Il
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I thought, too? Didn't realize he was involved with Feuerland in an ownership sense at all. But then again, I had only ever heard he was part owner of Lookout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lookout was founded by Rosenberg, Hanno Girke and Marcel-André Casasola Merkle in 2000, but I don't know who owns it now.

But I'd guess Lookout is slightly more oriented towards mass market, while Feuerland is more a niche publisher aimed for a smaller market. Thus, Patchwork is a Lookout title, while heavier games like Fields of Arle and AFFO are published with Feuerland?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hunt
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:
Lookout was founded by Rosenberg, Hanno Girke and Marcel-André Casasola Merkle in 2000, but I don't know who owns it now.

But I'd guess Lookout is slightly more oriented towards mass market, while Feuerland is more a niche publisher aimed for a smaller market. Thus, Patchwork is a Lookout title, while heavier games like Fields of Arle and AFFO are published with Feuerland?

Mayfair owns Lookout

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JM L
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I regret Klemens Franz' touch in Uwe´s latest games. Dennis Lohausen is OK but sth is missing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Paris

Monforte de Lemos
LUGO
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree. Fields of Arle was extremely well designed artistically.
What is it precisely that you are missing?
As someone else pointed out it would have added a lot of flavour if the occupations of AFfO were illustrated, that's a missed opportunity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JM L
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Compare a FoA player board (Lohausen)

with a Caverna player board (Franz)

The FoA board looks a bit dull to me. I have the same feeling with AFfO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Eikenberry
United States
Arlington Heights
Il
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree. I really miss the charm and personality of Franz's designs. Especially for the occupation deck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Paris

Monforte de Lemos
LUGO
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an awful picture of both boards to be fair! and a bad picture of both does Franza more justice (no insult intended!) simply because Denis work is far more subtle. The Fields of Arle board, especially with the peat bogs on it in various stages of draining is a wonderful landscape that goes from peat fields through hills towards an ever ambiguous salt plain, the tidal sea. It's subtle and very beautiful and when the barn piece with its map of North Frisia jauntily accompanying and the richness of the all the pieces that go with it, makes for a deep grounded, rich in colour and atmosphere experience.

Look at the box covers for Fields of Arle or GlasStrße and compare it to Ora et Labora. Franz has his strongpoints, no doubt, he brought Agricola to life with all of his characters and semi-cartoonishly fun approach but if you compare the box art of the above games you'll see that Dennis has something extra special there, a real artistic sense of composition, a wonderful pallete of rich subtle colours that play off each other well, a good sense of perspective and composition. All of it together may make for a slightly less 'playful' approach to that of Franz but it lends the games a very rich thematic feeling and its one of the many things that makes Arle in particular such a pleasure to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Paris

Monforte de Lemos
LUGO
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not trying to argue that you're wrong, by the way! Just sharing a different perspective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JM L
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Lohausen's artwork is very fine, but when i look at the player board of AFfO, I just see an array of -1 instead of a landscape. Same for FoA and GR, you first see a matrix of rectangles. That was not the feeling I had with Franz' player boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.