$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 122.02

7,323 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
46.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Joshua Hibbert
msg tools
The only one I've purchased based on design alone is Entropy, and luckily for me it's a game I enjoy (although not as a two player game).

If you've purchased a game based on components/design alone, what was that game, and how did you enjoy it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
None. If I don't have a reasonable expectation that I'd like the gameplay, I don't buy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows over Camelot. I still like the game very much. However some later pretty purchases were not fortuitous and I could not even find players. I don't buy that way anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Day of Days: The Invasion of Normandy 1944 I have not nor pretty much ever been a fan of tactical war games HELLO SQUAD LEADER but I've been intrigued by the Grand Tactical systems which instead of modeling individual man and squads goes a step or two higher at the platoon, company and/or battalion level. So I picked up Day of Days at I think was a reasonable price and am now heavy into the rules. I can tell already I'm going to enjoy it since the mechanics at this level do have an operational FEEL to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought 2 copies of Duel of the Giants: Eastern Front just to get the sweet hexmap boards, which I used for other games.

Pete (got them for an absurdly low price though)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the Fragor Games and a few LudoArt Verlag

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Eichenberg
Germany
Bretten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quantum and Ekö

I was sold on the design alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the Sierra-Madre Small Box games. Packing 4 solid euros into the space of 1? Yes Plz. Historical elements are a sweet bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Lower Hutt, WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Think of me as the Bishop of East Anglia
mbmbmbmbmb
Rocketville

Is only worth buying for the rocket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Silver
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm bad at this. In my case the theme and design tend to go hand in hand:

Miskatonic School for Girls
Winter Tales
Coven

It's not that the games are bad, but it's just I can't get anyone interested. Or maybe they are bad and I just have lousy taste in games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess A
Canada
flag msg tools
I just upgraded my pledge for the Rocky Road KS based solely on the adorable dice you get with the Dice Cream extra...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lesco
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
I bought 2 copies of Duel of the Giants: Eastern Front just to get the sweet hexmap boards, which I used for other games.

Pete (got them for an absurdly low price though)

That is a fascinating idea. I am going to have a look and see if there is a forum out there on this practice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Stanton
United States
Paoli
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was younger, I bought a cheap chess set so i could play D&D on it. Not sure if counts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming that "design" in this case means art and graphic design:

Eight-Minute Empire: Legends: Picked this up spontaneously in a FLGS in Uppsala, because it looked so nice and wasn't very expensive, without knowing anything else about it. Really good choice!

Marrying Mr. Darcy: Well, this is about my favourite Jane Austen novel, so what was I to do?
Somehow not that great a game; feels a little long for what it is. I hope I find people to play this with again some time, though.

City of Iron: Well, ok, this one was also because it was by Ryan Laukat, just like EME:L above. But I didn't actually find out very much about the gameplay before I bought it; it just looked cool and sounded cool based on the info text on the Red Raven website (which doesn't say anything about the mechanisms in the game at all).
Really good game; just hard for me to get to the table because it always takes very long.

Now that I am in the hobby more, I don't buy games based on looks only anymore, but the theme and artwork are a huge part of what gets me interested in a game in the first place.
And if I really dislike the theme or find the game hideous, I'm probably not going to get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett X
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume by design you mean the look of the game?

Well...all of them blush but I think even if it's not up to scratch I'll probably keep Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar. Cuz really...how many board games have wheels?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tzolkin wheel was a definite boon to purchase, that said Scythe, Euphoria, and Viticulture are greatly enhanced by the component quality. My minis purchases were more gameplay than component motivated as good minis don't justify the costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought all of the Oniverse games based purely on the art style. They also happen to be really good games as well. I've also bought Insula and The Grizzled under the same premise and wasn't disappointed with those either. All in all it seems to be a good strategy for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my Kickstarter purchases would fall under this label. Given they are bought on the promise of a game and I usually judge that from the components and suggested design. It's generally also impossible to get enough info to know if it'll certainly appeal to you.

Outside of kickstarter I normally buy games to fit certain criteria and know before I buy them whether they are going to be to my taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S.
United States
Seymour
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Most of my meager collection has been bought this way. I do, however, have a knack for looking at a game and knowing right away whether I'll like it or not. I love about 90% of what I have. There are exceptions, or course. Not that I can name any right now. Just about every game I've backed or am backing on KS is done this way too.

Recent examples (non-KS) are Bora Bora and Sanssouci. Found them in a clearance bin at B&N. I like La Isla by Stefan Feld so I took a chance on the first one. I reasoned that the second game couldn't be that difficult or hard to play, so why not? They are both good games and I'm glad I picked them up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.