Hide
6 Posts

Clash of Cultures» Forums » Rules

Subject: Wording on Objective Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jenn zimm
msg tools
I was playing Clash of Cultures and we got hung up the wording for the cards that said things like "have more temples than any other player". It seems very straight forward, but some of us took it to mean every other player. Can i please have some clarification. As in, if you have 2 temples, I have 2 temples, but someone else has 1, than I can get the objective? Thanks for any clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to have the most—more than anyone else. (More than all other players.)

Discussed here:
"More than any player" Objective Cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
'Any' is so non-specific, and context sensitive, it really should be avoided in game rules - it causes havoc for non-native speakers.

Any native speaker would understand it correctly, but you can't argue that it can't be correctly parsed the other way.

This is not unique to Clash it comes up in lots of rules. Ideally you would use 'any one' or 'every' to clarify the two meanings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Entner
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure "any one" would do it either: in the example given (number of temples is 2, 2, 1), one of the players with two could get it because he has more than "any one" player (the player with only 1). My interpretation of that rule is that the player must have more temples than each of the other players, considered individually. "Every other" may have been clearer, but that could possibly be interpreted as being the sum of all other players' temples. This is where a FAQ and examples are both helpful. I agree with your point that these types of cases are likely difficult for non-native speakers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
something like "Be the one with more temples".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jenn zimm
msg tools
Thanks guys! This was definitely a point of contention!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.