BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Convince me not to buy these games! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

I'm sure many of are just like me. I love board games but it take place on shelves and cost money so before I click proceed on my current shopping cart... I want you to give me a reason to remove games from it. And I don't want to be disappointed by any of them.

Who knows it could avoid me to do the irreparable

Sheriff of Nottingham
PatchWork
The Grizzled
SpyFall
Arboretum
The Voyages of Marco Polo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Shanmugasundaram
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I only have (a positive) experience with Marco polo.

So from my pov, the others aren't worth the time to figure out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know that airplane ticket you wanted to buy for that trip to that really cool place? There's your reason. As for the games, they are mostly solid (especially Patchwork), but they can't fly you to that really cool place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpotato wrote:
Hey,

I'm sure many of are just like me. I love board games but it take place on shelves and cost money so before I click proceed on my current shopping cart... I want you to give me a reason to remove games from it. And I don't want to be disappointed by any of them.

Sheriff of Nottingham
PatchWork
The Grizzled
SpyFall
Arboretum

Patchwork is great if you play a lot of 2-player games with a significant other. It's a great, neat, intimate game that doesn't have too much "take that" to it. Small box, cute design, accessible to all levels of gamers. Rules are easy to learn.

Arboretum is a fun, yet agonizing game, best played with 4 players. It can drag a little if players freeze up with indecision, but everyone I've played with loves it. Small box, beautiful cards.

Sheriff of Nottingham, I'd avoid that one because it is fun the first few times but tends to get stale after repeated plays. Plus, the box is big.

The others I haven't played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike White
United Kingdom
stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sredni Vashtar wrote:

Sheriff of Nottingham, I'd avoid that one because it is fun the first few times but tends to get stale after repeated plays. Plus, the box is big.

I tend to agree, despite having it and having enjoyed a few plays. I just can't see that I'll play it again. To be perfectly honest I think it's a little broken too. This is probably first in my to sell list if I could be bothered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is sheriff can be broken?

I played it 2 time, really loved it. I would guess that after many play it get repetitive and boring but with a new group its a blast.

Yeah maybe the box could be smaller a little bit?

For about 23$ usd, if i get 10 nice game with it, that's cheap no?

This thread seem to start working... My friend own it but i wanted to get it to play with my family and other friend we don't have in common.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheriff of Nottingham - Awful. Get Cockroach Poker if you want a fun bluffing game. It's faster to play, has much less rules, will work with gamers as well as non-gamers, takes up 1/10 of the space on your shelf as SoN, and most of all it provides many more laughs.

Patchwork - boring

The grizzled - great co-op

Spyfall - best social deduction game out there

Arboretum - boring

Marco Polo - meh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giovanni Wassen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpotato wrote:

Just never bring contraband in and you'll probably win. There's hardly any incentive apart from the roleplaying aspect to bring in any contraband.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spyfall, while very good, can fall flat depending on the players. Many introverted players actually find it quite uncomfortable. If any of your regular group members fit this description, I would say pass on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Christiansen
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Slim Chalkey wrote:
Sredni Vashtar wrote:

I tend to agree, despite having it and having enjoyed a few plays. I just can't see that I'll play it again. To be perfectly honest I think it's a little broken too. This is probably first in my to sell list if I could be bothered.

Gotta agree. Fun the first game, ok the second, meh every game thereafter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of you are every bad at this. Watch how it's done:

I've only played SpyFall and Marco Polo. I didn't care for either.

SpyFall just didn't work for me because it's too freeform. That you can ask any question is paralyzing, and that it seemed like everyone was trying to be as vague as possible meant it just felt like there was no deduction to be done, but being much more obvious would give too much away. Definitely more social than deduction. Also there's the problem of the spy having to stare at the list of locations, which might give him or her away, as well as the variance in how many questions are asked before the spy first gets one. And you already have the resistance, which is a much better social deduction game.

Marco Polo is frustrating because I feel like I should have liked it. I've liked all of the designers' other big games a decent amount more, and medium-ish weight euros are pretty much in my wheelhouse (just below in this case, but that's fine). But the game gives you so many incentives that it felt to everyone I played it with like it was playing itself. There were very few decision to make. It's also a pretty generic eurogame, the sole unique thing being the special player powers, which really just serve to funnel you into a particular path and remove most of the player agency. Here I should note that a lot of these criticisms are also leveled against Terra Mystica, but I quite like Terra Mystica and I've always felt there was room for both finding a strategy based on the setup, and then some interesting tactical decisions during the execution, whereas here you're dealt a strategy at the beginning and what few tactical adjustments there are are determined by your dice rolls. But most of all Terra Mystica feels unique and different, and this feels like every other worker placement, resource conversion euro. You could do a lot worse than this, but you could also do a lot better.

Best of luck not buying things. I've been pretty lucky, I only like a narrow range of games so my collection has stayed pretty small.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hibbert
msg tools
I've only played Sheriff of Nottingham, The Grizzled and SpyFall. The latter two I now have in my collection. While Sheriff of Nottingham was fun, I couldn't imagine it being fun after multiple plays, so I didn't add it to my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
extatix wrote:
generalpotato wrote:

Just never bring contraband in and you'll probably win. There's hardly any incentive apart from the roleplaying aspect to bring in any contraband.

Whoaaaaa! is this true? More can confirm? So your saying playing only legal goods is gonna make you win? If this is true, this game make no sense!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard of two separate unrelated games from different friends who report saying they won with the "honesty is the best policy" strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skip Sheriff, Arboretum is out of print, Patchwork kicks you in the nuts during endgame scoring, Spyfall is indeed a little group dependent, and Marco Polo takes too long to set up.

Personally, I think The Grizzled is one of the better co-ops to come out recently. If you get that plus the expansion that just came out, you'll be good. Plays from 1-5 players, with different difficulty levels, and is gratifying if you win. The subject matter is also somewhat timely and poignant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
im skipping sheriff

Arboretum is still available in french and im french

i dont see how marco polo could be long to setup randomize few cards and tile and its ready. You probably consider the characters and objective selection which i guess is very important to choose carefully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpotato wrote:
extatix wrote:
generalpotato wrote:

Whoaaaaa! is this true? More can confirm? So your saying playing only legal goods is gonna make you win? If this is true, this game make no sense!

This was my experience, though it is very limited...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheriff of Nottingham - I enjoyed it, but I don't think I will play it all that often. This is one of those games that should be in a friend's collection.

PatchWork - not played, but looks good

The Grizzled - I was underwhelmed. The bleak theme and artwork are perfectly appropriate and fit the game. A century after the Great War this game is timely. But... the game itself is not that interesting, when divorced from the theme. Group push-your-luck. I want to love it for the theme but I found the play boring.

SpyFall - excellent, provided all the players are confident speaking to the group and like social deduction games. Not so good if someone is shy, or hard of hearing.

Arboretum - presently top of my wishlist. Unobtainium in Australia ATM. I envy you.

The Voyages of Marco Polo - best with four, and ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT. Get it yesterday, play it the day before
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonichi Sanvictores
Philippines
Marikina City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Spyfall, while very good, can fall flat depending on the players. Many introverted players actually find it quite uncomfortable. If any of your regular group members fit this description, I would say pass on it.

+1. My officemates and I played this a couple of times at a boardgame cafe and instantly loved it.

However, when I played with family, it fell flat.

It will really depend on the playgroup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
SomewhatDamaged wrote:
Slim Chalkey wrote:
Sredni Vashtar wrote:

Gotta agree. Fun the first game, ok the second, meh every game thereafter.

So for balance, I hated the first game, and would never play it again. I was read like a book, felt foolish and hated every minute. Happily there wasn't time to complete the whole game, so it only took "too long" rather than "far far too long".

That's balance, right?

Meanwhile. Arboretum is EXCELLENT. best with 2 I think, then 4, and the motivations in the different player count change the experience significantly. don't not buy it.

Grizzled... It's... fine.

Spyfall I do like, but there's way too much time lost every round waiting for people to think of questions, and them saying they can't think of a question. Maybe check A Fake Artist Goes to New York as "Spyfall Drawing"

Patchwork - Near perfect for it's genre. Sorry.

Marco thingy... meh another mid level euro. chuck it on the pile and sell in shrink in a few years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheriff of Nottingham: Broken, as others have mentioned, because contrary to the theme of the game, contraband isn't actually stronger than legal goods.

PatchWork: Takes the prize of most boringest theme in any game ever. And that prize was formerly held by a game with no theme at all.

The Grizzled: Too many no-win combinations make this one a frustrating experience. Good as an illustration of the horrors of war; but not fun to play as a game.

SpyFall: Free PnP available here on BGG. For the three and a half times you can play this game before everybody remembers the go-to questions, the PnP version should suffice.

Arboretum: Comes with an "innovative" scoring mechanism that obfuscates strategic choices during the game.

The Voyages of Marco Polo: Generic cube-pushing point salad exercise in mental arithmetic. Incidentally, when I mentioned earlier that Patchwork took that one prize from another game: this is that game.

Strange request, so I hope I'm doing this correctly... I might add that I actually like two games from that list, two others I haven't even played, and only the remaining two are games that I honestly wouldn't recommend. I won't say which are which though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yeah I agree with everyone on sheriff being broken, however, I find it too easy to sneak in contraband everytime apart from once or twice as if you're playing with enough people, I find the sheriff doesn't have the guts to question everyone in case they lose too much, can't believe this would hold interest after a few games either.

Also agree with spyfall - can fall really flat unless you're in a group very comfortable with each other who enjoy a little role play. It makes some people freeze and really uncomfortable.

Haven't played the rest but heard only good things about arboretum and patchwork

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patchwork is worth it
You can play it with a gamer, with your mom or a nongamer

Nottingham - Meh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
generalpotato wrote:
Hey,

Sheriff of Nottingham
PatchWork
The Grizzled
SpyFall
Arboretum

Don't buy these games, you'll save money, and room on your shelves!
Besides, you'll play your other games more, and get to know them better, and to master them, too.

Did it work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpotato wrote:

Sheriff of Nottingham
PatchWork
The Grizzled
SpyFall
Arboretum

SoH: Has an issue with people simply willing to tell the truth. At least wait until the expansion tries to fix this.
Patchwork: Overrated in all honesty. There are better 2-player only small boxed games out there.
The Grizzled: I was kind of underwhelmed honestly. One of the lesser co-ops I have played. Not bad, but nothing really stands out.
Spyfall: Maybe the most group dependent game I have played. Generic questions responded by generic answers. It can work for some groups, but I have seen a lot of awkwardness with it as well.
Arboretum: Hopefully merely between print runs and is currently too high of a cost to acquire unless you find it proper deal on it.
TVoMP: Yeah, I got nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.