41.4% of Goal | left

Support:

Jared Quintana
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are the component pieces of a less quality compared to the other versions?

The thickness of the board and the chits are noticeably thinner.

The nice thick chits from Awakening the Bear and Price of Honour is one of the best things about the game.

I know that Academy games takes pride in the quality of their games.

I don't have Storms of Steel and now am worried that its components will be of Guadalcanal's lesser quality when it gets a reprint.

So, again, what is up with the thinner (lesser) quality?

(I know it was not to drop the price)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
stenmur wrote:
Why are the component pieces of a less quality compared to the other versions?

The thickness of the board and the chits are noticeably thinner.

The nice thick chits from Awakening the Bear and Price of Honour is one of the best things about the game.

I know that Academy games takes pride in the quality of their games.

I don't have Storms of Steel and now am worried that its components will be of Guadalcanal's lesser quality when it gets a reprint.

So, again, what is up with the thinner (lesser) quality?

(I know it was not to drop the price)

They seemed perfectly fine when I did my unboxing. Did not put them side by side but did not detect an obvious need to. While they may not (have to check) be the same as previous editions they still seemed to be high quality and thick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't notice any drop in quality. All looks good to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Ruppelt
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pisqueeter wrote:
I don't notice any drop in quality. All looks good to me.

Probably because you didn't employ a micrometer and mass spectrometer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Quintana
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you check them side by side you will notice a difference.

My big worry is with SoS as i will be using them with AtB and PoH

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Schmalzried
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
It didn't start here, the chits from the solo expansion are thinner too. I wouldn't have noticed, but I was inventorying the game and had the chits side by side in stacks of 10 and there was a noticeable difference.

Academy just reprinted AtB, I wonder if the latest printing chits are also thinner?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Teoro
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you notice the difference when playing? It is one thing when stacking them for storage, and another when interacting with them during game play. I'm about to grab this, so I rather not have faulty expectations. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Schmalzried
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just compared the Guadalcanal chits with the other AtB & Solo chits, and they are even thinner than those. Not thinner is still thicker than the chits you'll get from other war games. Bedore I had compared them I had no issues with the thickness (or thinness) of the chits if that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Ruppelt
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the bottom line for me is that I have yet to purchase and play an AG game that I didn't thoroughly enjoy and play the hell out of. The quality has definitely been there for me up to and including my recent purchase of Guadalcanal. If some chit thinning in the EF solo effects game play, well that's a problem. But short of that, I'll keep buying AG games because the quality is just fine and a little chit thinning is a minor issue for me. If the overall quality of their games starts to suffer, well I'll be posting about that too, but until that day, AG makes damn good games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xgamerms999 wrote:
It didn't start here, the chits from the solo expansion are thinner too. I wouldn't have noticed, but I was inventorying the game and had the chits side by side in stacks of 10 and there was a noticeable difference.

Academy just reprinted AtB, I wonder if the latest printing chits are also thinner?

I purchased ATB 2nd edition, 2nd run, and while I did not notice a drastic difference between 1st and 2nd editions in terms of thickness(granted I did not know to be looking for that at the time), some of my counters were not cut through all the way causing damage to a handfull of counters.
Let me alleviate anybody's concerns right away in terms of quality, Academy Games customer service is top notch, Ashley was a great help.
Long story short, AG customer service replaced the damaged counters, and mentioned that some counters may be of different thickness. If I remember right, they said it was due to a different printer or different stock.

I do not have other versions as of yet to compare it too, and I traded my 1st edition ATB for some other games.

In my totally honest opinion, it didn't bother me and I did not see a very noticeable difference, but I will compare it to Guadal when I get my copy. This could be the reason it is taking so long for Guadalcanal to be distributed. I'm still waiting for my copy which I foolishly ordered from an online store and not from AG direct.
Coolstuff inc. says it is still not officially released...that might be another thread topic though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The size difference is actually a design decision. The units in the Pacific and Europe were different sizes (fewer fought in the Pacific theater). Add to that that the Marines spent most of their time ducking enemy fire (the firefights tended to be brutal) and you get slightly smaller counters.

Sorry, I am REALLY tired.

The real answer probably has more to do with the difficulty of getting the same materials, colors and quality from the same printer for different print runs than anything else. I think AG changed printers, so that makes it tougher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.