Support:

Juan Valle
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Folks,

Last week I got this game and up to now have had about 5 sessions; a couple of questions came to my mind and although I consider myself an experienced wargamer and this is not a difficult game, your experience and wisdom would be really appreciated:

1-Army Setup: Rules indicate you setup your army in either 1, 2 or 3 rows, indicating if a row is vacated then units should move forward to cover the gap(page 5). My question is: this setup (3 rows) MUST be kept throughout the game? Since I also have Modern Naval Battles: Global Warfare and its expansions maybe is the reason why for my confusion...During one of my sessions yesterday I found that if an unit in the middle row (for example) gets eliminated, then you must either reinforce or prepare (or prepare and then reinforce) as to cover that gap, and if you do it at the wrong timing your units in the Breakthrough area could be decimated, and game over! In the later sessions, I forfeited the 3 row requirement and the game seemed to 'flow' more seamless.

2-When you play an action card as a reaction to either Terrain Maneuver control or Flanking Maneuver Superiority, do you must place one of your Force cards in either area(terrain/flanking) or not? If so, I assume your unit gets the ACTED counter after the reaction...

Thanks in advance, my friends!

Regards,

Jumval

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
G'day,

Rows - works just as in MNB - if you have forces in row 1, 2 and 3 and you lose all forces in row 2, then your row three forces become row 2.
You have lost "depth".
When you have no units left in the Breakthrough area - you have lost, because the enemy has broken through.
You do not need to have units in 3 rows, you could have all of your forces in the 1st row.
Or you could start with some in the first, one in the second and some in the 3rd, then after acting, you might have one in the 1st and some in the 2nd and none in the third - as with MNB you can re-organise (move forward/back)your forces, with MLB it isn't as easy as MNB.

Terrain/Flanking - if the action card requires a unit to act - then you move the Acting unit to the appropriate zone/sector and row in which their Act can effect the Enemy Force.
Some reaction cards - such as Minefield and CAS doesn't require a Force Card.
If the card says "Act" then the force card that is acting gets and Acted counter.

Does this help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valle
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi David,

Absolutely your reply helps!

Your comment about loosing depth is accurate, since that happened in some of my sessions: if you do not keep at least 2-3 units in second and third rows, you are presenting a thin 1st row to the opponent, and if those units get wipped out...game over! It answers my 1st question.

In regards to 2nd question, you answered as well.

Last, the point you made about reoganizing rows here in MLB being not as easier as in MNB is true: on MNB you can BOTH reorganize and reinforce in the same turn, before attacking your opponent; in MLB you EITHER prepare or reinforce, which means you have to wait 2 turns before attacking, and (as happened in one session) your timing is bad, your opponent has a good chance to attack you twice without retribution.

Kind of thinking in loud voice, but I feel MLB needs an expansion; nothing fancy but including some elements of air defense (both AAA and short range SAM) as well as some CAS units like helicopters and airplanes(like A-10, Su-25, Harrier, etc.) and why not, some foot infantry.

Thanks my friend!

Jumval
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to be of help!

I started work on an expansion to allow for AAA, CAS and Air Superiority..

I'll tidy my thoughts up and post them to the files section in the next few weeks.

If enough people like them - I'll approach DVG about the possibility of getting such an expansion published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.