Hide
14 Posts

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Polania seems quite strong in 3 players game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yongtae Park
msg tools
I have only played the game for 3 times though, the polania player won for all games.

If polania gets submerge ability and starts sucking the encounters that are nearby unselected faction's base, then the other players have not many things to do but only watching the polania dancing.

How do you think about this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Derr
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Get off my Avatar NERD!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played games against people who decided that encounters were very powerful and played a strategy of collecting them. They have always finished towards the bottom I think there's three things to this.

First, remember that it's only the characters (not the mechs) that can get encounters.

Second, he would have to be burning a lot of move actions just to grab one additional encounter. One move on to the lake, one move to the new lake, and another move to get off the lake. Without the speed ability, it'll take 5 turns (can't select the same action twice in a row) just to get 1 additional encounter. Even with the speed ability, it'll take at least 3 turns. I find it hard to believe that this is the most efficient use of his actions.

Third, a strategy that relies on encounters is not efficient. You're likely getting resources that aren't always needed, or actions that aren't focused towards getting stars out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ottevaere Wouter
Belgium
Vosselaar
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some thoughts from my humble opinion:

- to get the SUBMERGE ability, Polania needs to deploy a Mech. At the start of the game Polania has Forest (wood) and Farmland (food). To get a Mech, one needs metal. So if Polania deployed a Mech (and choose for the Submerge ability), that means that Polania has done a good job to get the right resources for deploying that Mech as soon as possible.

- to get on all the Encounter hexes, Polania needs to move a lot. And choosing to 'move', means denying other actions (and their profits). And moving can only each second turn (one can't do the same action twice - except Rusviet).

So if Polania is encountering on the whole game board without getting some competition, then Polania is playing well and the others... whistle

[a little bit ninja'd by
Richard Derr
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Get off my Avatar NERD!
mbmbmbmbmb
]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wout wrote:
- to get on all the Encounter hexes, Polania needs to move a lot. And choosing to 'move', means denying other actions (and their profits). And moving can only each second turn (one can't do the same action twice - except Rusviet).
Unless Polania visits the Factory, and takes a Factory card that allows a double movement. Then movement is possible each turn (by alternating between the standard Move action and the Factory action).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yongtae Park
msg tools
I agree that the polanias will need many turns for encounters however they still need much less turns for one encounter than other factions.

Also they are not only consuming the move actions only for the encounters. They can move to metal hex that allows them another mech (for speed usually), and they have bottom low action of the move section.

Anyway I think the most important thing for the polanias is the first encounter that they get. If they get a mech (almost freely by combining two options) or at least metals from the encounter, the other players will have hard game then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danwarr
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
akasia0328 wrote:
I have only played the game for 3 times though, the polania player won for all games.

If polania gets submerge ability and starts sucking the encounters that are nearby unselected faction's base, then the other players have not many things to do but only watching the polania dancing.

How do you think about this?

Did the same person play Polania all 3 times, or was it different each time? I do think their faction power and Submerge are very strong, but they have one of the weaker starting positions in the game given lack of access to early metal which makes them a bit reliant on getting a mech through encounters either by gaining metal or just having a mech deployed through effect.

At this point in the game's life, I think it is much too early to tell what faction is undeniably the strongest in a given match-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Lindvall
United States
Bismarck
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 5 times, 4 of which were 3 player games. Polonia didn't seem strong at all. One game they were 1 coin shy of winning, so they aren't unplayably bad by any means (no faction is). But honestly I'd rank them last. They're more dependent on the trade action than others and that's such an inefficient action compared to produce.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JumboCactaur wrote:
I've played 5 times, 4 of which were 3 player games. Polonia didn't seem strong at all. One game they were 1 coin shy of winning, so they aren't unplayably bad by any means (no faction is). But honestly I'd rank them last. They're more dependent on the trade action than others and that's such an inefficient action compared to produce.

My first game I got Polania with mechanical, I think.

I never used the trade option for resources (just pop).

I kinda dominated. Early factory. Lots of moving. Popped probably 4 or 5 or maybe a sixth encounter. TBH, the first encounter gave me my mech (submerge) and it went from there.

It depends on player mats. It depends on board state. If depends on encounter draws. I had enough metal coming in through encounters to not worry about trading...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Polonia to be the most difficult faction to win with. The lack of a mountain space is brutal early game, forcing you to either trade for metal or build a mine. You've got to get your character out for the encounters to take full advantage of their ability, but the movement consumes valuable turns that could otherwise be used engine building and resource collecting. Couple that with the fact they're right next door to the most aggressive faction in the game and you've got yourself a real challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Pereira
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just had my first game with 3 players.

Polania player ran away with it by doing exactly this.

His first encounter gave him a mech and 4 metal on his second move. Used this mech to get riverwalk and beeline for the factory while buliding his second mech with the metal he got from the first encounter. Second mech gave him speed.

Speed + factory card and he just cleaned the board of encounters, nothing the other players (Rusviet & Nordic) could do to stop him. Felt very runawayish specially by getting resources from encounters that let him enlist a early and benefit from the other players just trying to catch up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yongtae Park
msg tools

The 3 winners were all different person. I also think it is little bit early to tell which faction is stronger or weaker, however the polania faction is easy to know what to do. Easier than other factions. It might be why I felt polania strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danwarr
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thefreak wrote:

Speed + factory card and he just cleaned the board of encounters, nothing the other players (Rusviet & Nordic) could do to stop him.

Rusviet didn't rush the Township mech I'm guessing? I could see the Nords have a difficult time contesting, as they tend to shine a bit later in the game, but the RU should've at least had the ability to control the middle early.

akasia0328 wrote:

...however the polania faction is easy to know what to do. Easier than other factions.

I suppose this is true, though I personally feel like Saxony and Crimea are very straightforward as well and have less problems in establishing an early mech or mechs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crimea can use Wayfare + Speed to take a couple encounter tokens from Polonia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Pereira
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Danwarr wrote:
thefreak wrote:

Speed + factory card and he just cleaned the board of encounters, nothing the other players (Rusviet & Nordic) could do to stop him.

Rusviet didn't rush the Township mech I'm guessing? I could see the Nords have a difficult time contesting, as they tend to shine a bit later in the game, but the RU should've at least had the ability to control the middle early.

akasia0328 wrote:

...however the polania faction is easy to know what to do. Easier than other factions.

I suppose this is true, though I personally feel like Saxony and Crimea are very straightforward as well and have less problems in establishing an early mech or mechs.

Yeah Rusviet could have tried that but I don't know if it would have made a big difference. Do you know whats the minimum number of turns it would take them to reach the factory?

I guess it was just the luckiest card draw at play, 2 mechs turn 4 felt pretty brutal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.