Subject: Crunch Time + Alien Advisory= always wins? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Natalie Fabian

Louisville
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Eminent Domain with all the expansions for the first time last night, and it quickly became clear that if you have Crunch Time and Alien Advisory (with at least 3 alien symbols), you will win the game.

Scenario: 3 player game: Player A got a planet with an Alien tech symbol on his second survey . He then proceeds for the next several turns to survey or research for his role (he only follows or uses his action for colonizing/settling) digging for planets that have Alien symbols. At this point he is seeing approximately 6 planets per survey, and has researched enough that he can get Crunch Time. He then is able to get Alien Advisory and has 3 planets/permanents that have Alien symbols. At this point he has approximately 24 cards in his deck, and due to some of his planets having +1, is drawing 12 cards per turn.

As he is able to draw his deck completely, then shuffle the discard pile, he is taking 6-8 actions per turn due to Alien Advisory and Crunch Time. He is now, as his action, able to then discard about 6 cards, then colonize, and settle, a planet all in one turn. He then got Double Time.

At this point, I'll be honest, I got salty and scooped. His turns were taking about 8 minutes and we were already 2 hours in to a game. We were playing the longer game where you had to get rid of 2 piles, so I guess we could have stopped playing much earlier, but we didn't know of this combo. The only way that we could have stopped him is if the other player and I had ganged up on him and started griefing him with other tech cards.

Are we doing something wrong? It just seems like that unless you get one of those cards first, the player who gets both will always win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a thread a couple of weeks ago claiming that Alien symbols were overpowered due to the techs that make them useful.

For me, the same is true for anything else in the game. EmDo is no game without conflict, as much as it may seem this way (especially if you leave out Escalation). You need to keep track of what your opponents are doing nearly as much as you need to keep track of your deck and goals.

If the game went on for so long, you all had more than enough time to interfere with his combo (you could even have taken away Alien planets from him when it was clear what he was doing). Sure, if you are new to the game and do not know what the cards do, you stand no chance. But that's just how the game is. Learn to know the tech cards, and think of what is most useful for your opponents to have, then take it before they have the chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natalie Fabian

Louisville
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That isn't exactly a helpful response.

While I agree that there are ways we (myself and the other player) could have basically griefed him, that means that I, or the other player, would have to a) have the planets available to get the card that allows us to hurt him and b) switch to a strategy that may or may not work.

And my issue was not exactly with the Alien tech, but the combination of cards that allows for this repetitive loop. As far as we could tell, there are no other cards that allowed for that many extra actions. Maybe the game is designed to be unbalanced, but then it probably shouldn't be an expansion, as it doesn't fit in with the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright. I am not sure what you expect here. But I went over the cards again. The thing you played wrong is that you put aside cards you used during your action phase, not on the discard pile. If you draw new cards, these cannot be cards you played in the same phase.

Your opponent thus should have had a maximum of 3 actions (apart from Crunch Time) before taking double time. Apart from this, it is quite an achievement to get these many permanent Alien symbols, enough research symbols to make it to Crunch Time as well as enough Survey cards to use it efficiently, while all the time keeping his deck at 24 cards max AND still colonizing and surveying like crazy. If he managed to do all this, I say he earned the victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a side note: A game I played yesterday with three players reminded me of this post:

On of the players seemed to steam roll away with the scenario that gives you the three Alien symbol permanent cards. He had all in all five permanent Alien symbols, Alien Advisory (meaning he had a hand size of 12), Rosetta Fish with Research role, the 7 research Alien card (giving him one additional of each symbol) and a Trade translator. In the end, he lost with a difference of one point to my wife (I am so proud of her ), who concentrated on survey and warfare with Scorched Earth, just collecting high point planets. She did not even use her scenario ability for it and still managed (by keeping her deck slim and carefully setting up her roles) to score enough points in the end. (I by the way took too long to set up my asteroid heavy game play and failed at controlling my deck... but I learned from it, so all is well.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.