Hide
23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: It's Chicago '68 all over again!....not rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Two days into the RNC's 2016, and the streets are running red with blood, littered with the shattered bones and teeth of rioters and cops, and .... nope, none of it has happened yet.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/07/19/chaotic-protests-...

From reading the Fox story, sounds like democracy is still alive and kicking in the US of A.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Two days into the RNC's 2016, and the streets are running red with blood, littered with the shattered bones and teeth of rioters and cops, and .... nope, none of it has happened yet.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/07/19/chaotic-protests-...

From reading the Fox story, sounds like democracy is still alive and kicking in the US of A.

I have to give it up for Cleveland - everyone has been very respectful towards law enforcement (for the most part), and there really haven't been any serious issues. The city has done a really good job of showcasing itself as the best "Big Small City" in the country. We learned how to do it respectfully during the Cavs celebration last month.

Fox New Report wrote:
But the violence and destruction that many feared could erupt, amid an exceptional year of violence in the United States and overseas, has yet to occur.

Williams on Monday evening said the protests have so far been “peaceful” with just one arrest.

And I heard that the "arrest" was a woman who had a current outstanding warrant for some other crime done some time ago, and that it wasn't actually related to the RNC at all (apparently she was leading a protest rally with a microphone on a stage, a law enforcement officer supposedly recognized her, then apprehended her according to the outstanding warrant - or something like that, I don't know nor have I heard any details about it, other than it was for an outstanding pre-RNC warrant).

I guess when people around here say "We're not Detroit", they really mean it. We're definitely not Detroit.

I had a conversation with a reporter from Greenville, SC who is here for the convention on my train ride into the city this morning. As we were chatting, he told me that his days here in town so far have been great, everyone has been very nice, and it has been pleasant to see that no serious issues (rioting, looting, shooting, etc.) have occurred. He was very complimentary of our fine city.

Thanks Cleveland!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why didn't Colbert get arrested for criminal trespass?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:

Because that would have been a bigger story than the RNC for the entire week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:

Doesn't he already have "press credentials", and thus it was just some grandstanding/showboating during arena set-up and prep time? Based on the small video I saw, it looked like he did it during the set up time reserved for the "sound and lights" guys, and that there weren't very many people in the building.

If he has "press credentials", then I think it would have been really tacky, inappropriate, and probably illegal to have him arrested for his 2-minute tirade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Hope the DNC convention goes the same way. I saw the Chicago '68 riots on TV when I was a kid. Young people these days have no clue how bad cops can be, but I saw Chicago cops basically start the riot. Crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:

I should think the answer is obvious. Laws don't apply to Democrats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tylor Hobbs
msg tools
mbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:

All that'd do is martyr the guy. And encourage him to pull it off again in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
actuaryesquire wrote:

I should think the answer is obvious. Laws don't apply to Democrats.

Well, it's not like his private email server was hacked and national secrets were leaked or stuff like that. It was just disrupting a busy crowd that didn't care with a screechy voice, so, you know...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so done with comedians whose material is nothing but lefty agitprop.

Colbert seemed to want to get away from that when he took over for Letterman. But like the dog who returns to his vomit . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Colbert's Late Show really is kind of awful. Actually, it's not awful, because that would imply it was interesting. It's just... blah. Having someone of his talent doing costumed "viral" bits and asking Chris Hemsworth about his dog is like having Jonathan Swift write advertising copy for Snuggle fabric softener.

I mean, I guess he's getting paid, and he did a lot of great work, so golden watch or whatever. Still pretty disappointing. Compare this silly stunt with him vivisecting the Bush administration right to the guy's face. Just ain't right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
eaglebeak wrote:
I mean, I guess he's getting paid, and he did a lot of great work,

As a propagandist, you mean?

Quote:
Still pretty disappointing. Compare this silly stunt with him vivisecting the Bush administration right to the guy's face. Just ain't right.

Maybe he should just shut up and tell jokes. You know, like comedians used to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
eaglebeak wrote:
I mean, I guess he's getting paid, and he did a lot of great work,

As a propagandist, you mean?

Quote:
Still pretty disappointing. Compare this silly stunt with him vivisecting the Bush administration right to the guy's face. Just ain't right.

Maybe he should just shut up and tell jokes. You know, like comedians used to do.

You seem like a really fun person. We should hang out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eaglebeak wrote:
Colbert's Late Show really is kind of awful. Actually, it's not awful, because that would imply it was interesting. It's just... blah. Having someone of his talent doing costumed "viral" bits and asking Chris Hemsworth about his dog is like having Jonathan Swift write advertising copy for Snuggle fabric softener.

I mean, I guess he's getting paid, and he did a lot of great work, so golden watch or whatever. Still pretty disappointing. Compare this silly stunt with him vivisecting the Bush administration right to the guy's face. Just ain't right.

When we lost Craig Ferguson, we lost the best late night tv douche since johnny carson.

I've never seen anyone who could be so patriotic and so apolitical at the same time. I've never seen a late night host who gave the guests the freedom to relax and open up as human beings. It was amazing. Like getting to sit in on an intimate conversation between two celebrities when they weren't on duty.

And he was so fast. Steven Wright said he envied Ferguson's ability to adlib so freely and quickly.

I miss him so much.

I watched a couple shows with Colbert and decided I'd have more fun playing video games or going to bed. Similar for every other late night host except Samantha Bee. She's much more political but she's funny... really funny. But no interviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

When we lost Craig Ferguson, we lost the best late night tv douche since johnny carson.

I've never seen anyone who could be so patriotic and so apolitical at the same time. I've never seen a late night host who gave the guests the freedom to relax and open up as human beings. It was amazing. Like getting to sit in on an intimate conversation between two celebrities when they weren't on duty.

And he was so fast. Steven Wright said he envied Ferguson's ability to adlib so freely and quickly.

I miss him so much.

I watched a couple shows with Colbert and decided I'd have more fun playing video games or going to bed. Similar for every other late night host except Samantha Bee. She's much more political but she's funny... really funny. But no interviews.

I think the core problem is that Stephen Colbert (the character) was amazing, while Stephen Colbert (the actual human) is not terribly compelling. I mean, he seems like a very nice man who loves his family a whole lot. But that's a quality I want more in an optometrist than for the host of a talk show. Letterman got long in the tooth, but his absurdist dickishness back in his prime was good television. Colbert needs some of that edge.

Bee's show is fantastic, though. She's really carrying the flag now that the Daily/Nightly Show(s) have become lukewarm soup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
eaglebeak wrote:

Bee's show is fantastic, though. She's really carrying the flag now that the Daily/Nightly Show(s) have become lukewarm soup.

It's interesting how both her show and John Oliver's have very little in the way of interviews. They both work well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me nah play no 'ide and seek
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
eaglebeak wrote:

I miss him so much.

Seriously, losing the Colbert Report AND Craig Ferguson's show at the same time because they wouldn't just bump Craig up to the Late Night spot was a huge blow to late-night television.

I still regret that I didn't watch nearly enough Craig Ferguson when he was on. The man is brilliant, and I hope he finds something great to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico mcflico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

Maybe he should just shut up and tell jokes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T
United States
flag msg tools
chrisnd wrote:
actuaryesquire wrote:

Doesn't he already have "press credentials", and thus it was just some grandstanding/showboating during arena set-up and prep time? Based on the small video I saw, it looked like he did it during the set up time reserved for the "sound and lights" guys, and that there weren't very many people in the building.

If he has "press credentials", then I think it would have been really tacky, inappropriate, and probably illegal to have him arrested for his 2-minute tirade.

Hmmm...

- tacky
- inappropriate
- probably illegal

That hasn't stopped Trump and his goons before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
eaglebeak wrote:

It's interesting how both her show and John Oliver's have very little in the way of interviews. They both work well.

And even the Colbert Report's interviews were just an excuse to bounce the
Colbert persona off of someone else for a few minutes, for funsies. That was great stuff. 10 minutes of someone from 'Game Of Thrones' telling an anecdote about some encounter at a gas station is not exactly in my wheelhouse.

But, you know, kids, lawn, etc. To each their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

I usually switched channels during John Stewart/Colbert when the interviews started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
eaglebeak wrote:

Speaking of John Oliver, in return for his "smug British douchebag preaching to the colonials" routine, I suggest we send Larry the Cable Guy to the UK to have show where he tells them how insufferably uptight and backwards they are.

It's only fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
eaglebeak wrote:

Speaking of John Oliver, in return for his "smug British douchebag preaching to the colonials" routine, I suggest we send Larry the Cable Guy to the UK to have show where he tells them how insufferably uptight and backwards they are.

It's only fair.

It's a free market, somebody wants to give Larry a TV show in Britain, rock and roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.