Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Huskvarna
Sverige
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My two latest session reports got 1.33 gg resp 1.3 gg for the submissions. The one I got 1.33 for was short, and with pictures takes from BGG. But the other one I had 5 personal pictures and did put more effort into, 1.3 gg. If you submit a video from youtube that someone else have done, you get 1 gg. Or a picture 1 gg. Those things takes seconds to do. If you submit a game entry you get maybe 3 gg. That also take shorter time to do, then writing a session report. Not that big of a deal, but I think then you write a session report, or a review, you should get more gg then it is now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Fresh start Fresh bananas
badge
Ashwin in thoughtful mood
mb

What amount of GG do you think would be a fairer reflection of your time and effort?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering the geekmodders aren't paying out of their pocket and there is an infinite supply of geekgold, I'm always shocked that they don't simply default to the max every time for session reports or reviews. I mean, why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Monnat Jr
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
I've encountered the same thing. It's a bit demoralizing when your average shows that the majority of modders chose the minimum 1 GG as your reward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joakim589 wrote:
My two latest session reports got 1.33 gg resp 1.3 gg for the submissions. The one I got 1.33 for was short, and with pictures takes from BGG. But the other one I had 5 personal pictures and did put more effort into, 1.3 gg. If you submit a video from youtube that someone else have done, you get 1 gg. Or a picture 1 gg. Those things takes seconds to do. If you submit a game entry you get maybe 3 gg. That also take shorter time to do, then writing a session report. Not that big of a deal, but I think then you write a session report, or a review, you should get more gg then it is now.

Why do you care? You have 5200+ GG in the bank. Would an extra GG really make any difference to you?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Huskvarna
Sverige
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

What amount of GG do you think would be a fairer reflection of your time and effort?

At least 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Huskvarna
Sverige
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:
Why do you care? You have 5200+ GG in the bank. Would an extra GG really make any difference to you?!?

Like I wrote, "not big of a deal". But the gg is a confirmation that you have done something good. 1.3 gg is to say, this report/review etc wasn't good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Monnat Jr
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
joakim589 wrote:
herace wrote:

Like I wrote, "not big of a deal". But the gg is a confirmation that you have done something good. 1.3 gg is to say, this report/review etc wasn't good.

Yep, it's the community saying that your efforts are minimally acceptable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Huskvarna
Sverige
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Not much geekgold for session reports/reviews
GeorgeMo wrote:
I've encountered the same thing. It's a bit demoralizing when your average shows that the majority of modders chose the minimum 1 GG as your reward.

Session reports could go from 3-7 gg instead, but maybe have a minimum of number of words in them to be submitted, eg 150 words.

Reviews from 5-10 gg. But with minimum of 300 words(?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the idea was ever to make GG windfalls the key motivators for session reports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joakim589 wrote:
Session reports could go from 3-7 gg instead, but maybe have a minimum of number of words in them to be submitted, eg 150 words.

Reviews from 5-10 gg. But with minimum of 300 words(?).

Whatever the minimum is, it will always be demoralizing to receive it.

Perhaps more useful would be for BGG to establish the middle as average, say 3, and then require geekmodders to justify why they would want to give less than three if they choose 1 or 2 GG. Too short. Too flowery. Not enough pictures. Whatever. Some kind of explanation as to know why it deserved the minimum amount of gg possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Huskvarna
Sverige
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
I don't think the idea was ever to make GG windfalls the key motivators for session reports.

GG is not the key motivator but, again, it is a confirmation that you have done something good and have giving some time to put some new content to the site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Huskvarna
Sverige
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
[q="joakim589"]Whatever the minimum is, it will always be demoralizing to receive it.

I actually don't think so. Some times my session reports can be short, and I don't have time (or didn't get good pictures) so I used others pictures from bgg. Then the minimum is ok if it would be 3 gg. But 1.3 gg, that is too low for a 150+ words report, if you compare with submit a picture gets 1 gg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
Considering the geekmodders aren't paying out of their pocket

Having seen comments over time that support this, I think that lots of geekmodders don't realize this, and think they are paying out of their pocket.

I also think that many people "click through" as quickly as possible, and since 1 is closest, they click that to move on. One way to help might be to put the 5 gg reward on top.

To be fair to some images, they take a long time to set up, light correctly, edit in an image editing program, and upload. I've long wished for a sliding gg reward for images (.25 - 2.00?) the way that session reports and reviews have one. This would mean that it takes equal clicks to approve or decline, and if similar/poorly cropped/poorly lit/poorly focused images got .25gg instead of 1gg, it might be less tempting to upload them. By the same token, it would be nice to give good images more than the standard 1 gg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Monnat Jr
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
chearns wrote:
Considering the geekmodders aren't paying out of their pocket

Having seen comments over time that support this, I think that lots of geekmodders don't realize this, and think they are paying out of their pocket.

I also think that many people "click through" as quickly as possible, and since 1 is closest, they click that to move on. One way to help might be to put the 5 gg reward on top.

To be fair to some images, they take a long time to set up, light correctly, edit in an image editing program, and upload. I've long wished for a sliding gg reward for images (.25 - 2.00?) the way that session reports and reviews have one. This would mean that it takes equal clicks to approve or decline, and if similar/poorly cropped/poorly lit/poorly focused images got .25gg instead of 1gg, it might be less tempting to upload them. By the same token, it would be nice to give good images more than the standard 1 gg.

I agree with your analysis. I'll add that I think a significant percentage of GeekModders believe that the author gets the sum total of the GG awards and not the average of the GG awards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Huskvarna
Sverige
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
I've long wished for a sliding gg reward for images (.25 - 2.00?)

Yes! Good idea!

I have thought more about session gg. I think that not the geekmodders should decide the amount, but the admin.

Give 2 gg for a session report.
+1 gg if the report is longer then, let's say 200 words (comlicated because some are doing nice tables, not with many words, but a lot of work).
+1 gg if you have your own pictures.
+1 gg if it is the first session report for that game.

Then you can get from 2-5 gg for a session report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
joakim589 wrote:
I have thought more about session gg. I think that not the geekmodders should decide the amount, but the admin.

That would defeat the whole purpose of geekmodding - that the admins do not need to spend time doing it.

If you mean some automatic way, do you think it would not be quickly abused?

When I used to write BSG session reports, I used to get from 1.6 to 3.6gg for the same format and amount of effort put into it.

When I started geekmodding (and still modded articles), I first was stingy with the GG, but after a while became more generous. If the article is good enough to be accepted, it is worth 2gg or more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the OP. So I constantly geekmod articles in order to approve the good ones and give them a nice boost in GG average (I usually mark 3 to 5).

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Session reports (and reviews) get a token amount upon acceptance, and even that is far more than it's worth in many cases. A really good bit of writing may earn tips from other users who appreciate your efforts. I think that's as it should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think the ratio GG/effort is weak for session reports, I'd recommend you to create and upload files. It'll give you a different perspective .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Huskvarna
Sverige
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roolz wrote:
If you think the ratio GG/effort is weak for session reports, I'd recommend you to create and upload files. It'll give you a different perspective .

Yeah, a file with text in swedish = zero
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
joakim589 wrote:
Roolz wrote:

Yeah, a file with text in swedish = zero

No . Whatever the language (and the hours spent), you get about 1GG, if I remember correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Monnat Jr
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It usually takes 12-24 hours for my session reports written in English to pass GeekMod. How long does the average non-English item take? I saw some Letzeburgesch videos and thought those must take weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeorgeMo wrote:
It usually takes 12-24 hours for my session reports written in English to pass GeekMod. How long does the average non-English item take? I saw some Letzeburgesch videos and thought those must take weeks.

It should take just as long. Most geekmodders don't read the articles or videos before accepting them. It's about volume, not accuracy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Monnat Jr
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
GeorgeMo wrote:

It should take just as long. Most geekmodders don't read the articles or videos before accepting them. It's about volume, not accuracy.

I skip anything not in English or Japanese as I have no idea what they're talking about. People running through doing minimal effort and giving everything 1 GG may be the root of the OP's problem and counter to the intent of GeekModding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.