6 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Base Set : Simple Questions re a few cards... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Say
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
New to LOTR:LCG and I am still mastering the gist of some of the cards....and I want to make sure I get it right at the start otherwise I will be playing it wrong forever...

Passage Through Mirkwood Scenario Card 3a/b. So you pick a card randomly and get one of two scenarios...

i) 0 questing requirement and a when revealed text : Each player must search the encounter deck and discard pile for 1 SPIDER card of his choice and add it to the staging area. The players must find and defeat Ungoliants spawn to win the game.

In a single player game I am presuming the win condfition is therefore basically pick Ungloiants spawn out of the encounter/discard deck, place it in the staging area, engage it when you can, kill it and win. Is that it - when it says any Spider card why would anyone NOT pick Ungoliants spawn as the card? As I am writing it occurs to me that you may have to pick a different spider if you have already defeated Ungoliants Spawn - but then in doing so you automatically win the gamwe because the win condition has been met?

ii) 10 questing value and text 'Players cannot defeat this stage while Ungoliants Spawn is in play. If players defeat this stage they have won the game.'

So if you manage to gain 10 quest points and Ungloiants Spawn is not in the Staging Area nor Engaged with a player you win? You could have either killed it earlier or it just hasn't been drawn from the deck.

Appreciate these might be basic questions.

Many Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
i) Yes, you can and should pick Ungoliant's Spawn in such cases. If you have previously defeated her doesn't matter, because the game doesn't remember that. (There is a mechanism for remembering these things using the victory display, it is not used here. Would probably use wording like "If U.S. is in the victory display")

ii) Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TBJ_SS wrote:
i) 0 questing requirement and a when revealed text : Each player must search the encounter deck and discard pile for 1 SPIDER card of his choice and add it to the staging area. The players must find and defeat Ungoliants spawn to win the game.

In a single player game I am presuming the win condfition is therefore basically pick Ungloiants spawn out of the encounter/discard deck, place it in the staging area, engage it when you can, kill it and win. Is that it - when it says any Spider card why would anyone NOT pick Ungoliants spawn as the card? As I am writing it occurs to me that you may have to pick a different spider if you have already defeated Ungoliants Spawn - but then in doing so you automatically win the gamwe because the win condition has been met?

If you've already defeated Ungoliant's Spawn, once this quest card comes up you now have to defeat Ungoliant's Spawn again.

The choice of which spider(s) to choose is up to the players. The smart choice is usually Ungoliant's Spawn, but it's not a requirement.

Quote:
ii) 10 questing value and text 'Players cannot defeat this stage while Ungoliants Spawn is in play. If players defeat this stage they have won the game.'

So if you manage to gain 10 quest points and Ungloiants Spawn is not in the Staging Area nor Engaged with a player you win? You could have either killed it earlier or it just hasn't been drawn from the deck.

Right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
1) If there are multiple players, only one of them can pick Ungoliant's Spawn. Also, the Spawn has a rather unpleasant when revealed effect, so if you know it'd wreck you when you progress to stage 3, you might pick something else. However, if you do, you're stuck praying that the Spawn doesn't then get used as a shadow card (because finding it again if it did would be pretty hard).

2) That's correct - if the Spawn is still in the deck or in the discard pile (or the victory pile, if you were using player cards of some of the more recent packs) when you hit 10 progress, you win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmb
i) You are mostly correct, other than you will still have to fight Ungoliant's Spawn again if you defeated him previously. Also you are forced to choose another spider if he is already in play.

ii) that is exactly right. Just hope that the spawn doesn't come out during the rest of the quest!

Edit: ninjaninjaninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Say
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks to folks for taking the time to reply.

I am glad I checked because under point i) I had not anticipated that had I previously defeated U.S. that I would have to defeat it again as some of you have noted.

I guess the use of the verb 'find' would indicate a future action rather than a retrospective action so it makes sense but this highlights to me that I need to be far more careful in parsing every word for any nuances.

Appreciate the help and tactical advice from everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.