8 Posts

Jupiter Rescue» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Thrashed by the Creepers...Help! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gene Miller
msg tools
mb

Granted, only a few plays in but we are getting thrashed. We're lucky to get 10-14 colonists before everything comes crashing down on us (usually playing 3-4 players). Last game was with 3 players and we were fortunate to have all the 1 & 2 tiles arranged as inner tiles...with many, many early dice rolls going our way. We thought things were looking up, however, it didn't take long for things to quickly go downhill from there.

I guess the pattern we are seeing is that we can easily rescue the first group of 7...a few more even. But the colonists that coagulate at the center of the station take too long to move, and they prevent the robots from navigating around them (minus rocket boots, transporter, etc.).

I'm reading the posts, and it seems that other players are breezing through this game...so our strategy (or lack thereof) seems seriously flawed. Can anyone give us a few pointers which might provide some motivation to keep this on the table and not shelve it? We all would greatly appreciate it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Eight ball, corner pocket
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll help where I can. The first question I have is whether you are playing certain rules correctly. From the comment about 1s and 2s, you may not be. No worries - we played our first game wrong and got creamed.

So, pay attention to these two rules. They are in the book, but I overlooked them the first time through:

1. When supercreeps come in (on the 3s and 4s), they do NOT count as creeps when turning adjacent humans to creeps, or when coming up against the "add a creep to every tile that has a creep" card. Related to this:
2. Supercreeps are NOT ADJACENT TO ANYTHING. They do their own thing, which is bad enough, but you do not have to deal with all of a sudden having a bunch of interloping creeps in the middle of the humans when they get placed.

If you are playing these correctly, let me know and I can try to help with strategy, but this is a big one.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Miller
msg tools
mb

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm pretty sure we were playing the super creeps correctly. Went over the rules pretty meticulously and feel that we are playing everything the right way.

I think the main issues we are having are:
- moving robots efficiently enough throughout the space station to command colonists (from adjacent tiles) to continue to move towards the escape pod.
- getting "side-tracked" with stemming the flow of invasion/conversion before it gets to a critical state
- losing tiles as they become fully infested with creepers, thereby exposing inner tiles that are chock full of fresh colonists.
- losing cards or actions due to super creepers on the 3 & 4 tiles...this seems to really be a watershed moment where we fall behind the "creeper 8 ball"

I think the "main" issue is allocating our robots correctly. Is there a conventional strategy to spread them out enough to handle the elimination of creepers/super creepers while still being adjacent to enough colonists to maintain consistent command/movement?
We have tried to keep them close to the 3 & 4 tiles to minimize the loss of cards/actions however the randomness of the tile placement at the start of the game can seriously hinder that...even if you are willing to sacrifice a few early on to consolidate a defense strategy.

The 2nd "main" issue is that after rescuing some colonists, the inner bunch just seems to get bottle-necked- seriously hindering movement to any future escape pod locations. Generally that's where any rescue attempts tend to grind to a screeching halt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you try to use the action cards in combination? You can use some of the powers together to get the colonists following each other in a train towards the escape pod.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Miller
msg tools
mb
I know in one game we were able to use that action card.
It just seems that the inner tiles (full of colonists) get bottle-necked which limit evacuation and it prevents the robots from quickly dispersing around the station...unless you have the rocket boots or the teleport card.

Overall, it seems like progress in both these areas get bogged down after the first escape pod launches, especially when creepers come on the scene.

I know there's not a cut and dry strategy, but do you just ignore the creepers and put all your actions into moving colonists as fast as possible? The real challenge with that method is when the super creepers start to limit your actions...progress takes a nose-dive if we don't have our robots spread out to those areas to take them out (or a few heat seeking missile cards).

Probably what is the most frustrating is that the game seems very simple and straight-forward...meaning that it seems that there is a conventional strategy that exists, but we haven't stumbled on it as of yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick tips.

1) Play to your hand. If you have Grenadier, start attacking creeps. If you have Loud Speaker or Follower, evacuate colonists. This is how you get ahead on action points used. Make the most of your cards.

2) Conversion is bad. You cannot always stop it, but try to mitigate it where you can. Heat Seeking Missiles and Teleport are a must for conversion control.

3) Use the escape pod to plug holes. When tiles explode, the inner tiles become vulnerable to invasion. You can use the escape pod to plug the hole. Pilot or Module Control with other tiles are helpful cards.

4) Satellite super creeps are bad. The more robots you have the worse it is. Stop at nothing to wipe out these super creeps. Power station super creeps are not as bad. As the game goes on super creeps are easier to manage.

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Miller
msg tools
mb
Thanks for the tips, we will try to implement them in our next session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rook96 wrote:
Quick tips.
3) Use the escape pod to plug holes. When tiles explode, the inner tiles become vulnerable to invasion. You can use the escape pod to plug the hole. Pilot or Module Control with other tiles are helpful cards.

Never even thought to use the escape pod in this way. Good tip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.