Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is easy to find examples of games that use unique player powers and cards that break the rules like Cosmic has, but what other games use a similar alliance mechanic and allow players to win together without being on permanent teams?

The only example I can think of is another Eon game, Dune/Rex. And Munchkin, sort of, though you can't win the game together and you aren't fighting other players, so there is only one side to the alliance (also not a big fan of that game, but that's beside the point).

While game recommendations are welcome, I am asking more as a curiosity. I find it interesting that one part of Cosmic's design has become so widely adopted and the other, which I think of as equally important, to be relatively unpopular.

Cosmic Encounter
Dune/Rex
Munchkin
Illuminati
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if you've played Dune or Rex, but the alliances in that have a fair amount of weight. You can't just break them at will.

There are a number of games where there's always one loser and everyone else wins. Pairs and Cockroach Poker for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This is not my user name.
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Illuminati
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:

I thought about including that but couldn't remember much from the one time I played it.

Asmor wrote:
I don't know if you've played Dune or Rex, but the alliances in that have a fair amount of weight. You can't just break them at will.

There are a number of games where there's always one loser and everyone else wins. Pairs and Cockroach Poker for example.

I mentioned Dune / Rex, such great games. I hadn't thought of games with just a loser as being related, though that would make an interesting list, too (love Cockroach Poker, and been planning to get Pairs).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are quite a few stock-based games that encourage temporary alliances.

Some examples that I've enjoyed:

Chicago Express
American Rails
Mombasa

and even the 18xx series have this. It's a different kind of alliance, but there's definitely a shared economic incentive that results in some co-operating among opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides the usual informal temporary alliances, Eclipse allows the creation of formal alliances in-game with the possibility of winning (or losing) together. The difference is that once you join an alliance you can't pull a Brexit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This is not my user name.
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just about every multi-payer game has temporary "alliances". Players will naturally gang up on the leader. But that's not the same thing at all. In the end, most games still have only one winner. The fact that for part of the game A and B cooperated to stop C from winning doesn't make the game like Cosmic Encounter. That just makes it like the majority of multiplayer strategy games that have existed for a long, long time, like Risk.

Then there's - a trick-taking card game with teams that shift every round. In the end, there's still only one winner, but each round has a winning team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.