10 Posts

Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Encounter Order of Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kipp Parks
Canada
flag msg tools
This situation has come up several times and I am not sure how to handle it.

There are in fact two variations I will mention.

First off, I understand that the typical order to handle cards is in encounter number ascending order, and in the order that cards were drawn. When landing on an empty space that says 'Draw 3 cards' this is perfectly easy to do. Where the problem arises is when adventure cards are already on the space being encountered.

Two cases exist. Let's use a 'Draw 3 cards' space as an example.

Case 1.) Three cards are on the space, with all the same encounter number. Which order do they get encountered in? Do we need to keep track of what order they were originally drawn in for the whole game?

Case 2.) One card with encounter number 4 is on the space. When a character lands there, two cards get drawn to bring the total to 3 cards. Both drawn cards are also encounter number 4. Does the card that was already on the space get encountered before the two new cards? Or does it get encountered third since it wasn't actually drawn this turn?

I have tried numerous times to find the answer, hoping someone can solve this for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Wiese
Germany
35043 Marburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keeping track of the order the cards were originally drawn is nearly impossible I would say. We have already used the rule that in these cases the cards are encountered in alphabetical order. I am pretty sure this is not official, but I think I once read this as a suggestion and adopted this rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bailey
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
If they are enemies they combine there attack and attack as one unit. If they are items or followers there should be no issues there just take them if you are able and want to. If they are place I do not have an answer for that one but I have not had multiple places with the same encounter number come up before. How often has this come up for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Wiese
Germany
35043 Marburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes this question can be quite important, especially with event cards. (for example one teleports you to a different region and the other makes all players in the region suffer a penalty)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigb0420 wrote:
If they are enemies they combine there attack and attack as one unit. If they are items or followers there should be no issues there just take them if you are able and want to. If they are place I do not have an answer for that one but I have not had multiple places with the same encounter number come up before. How often has this come up for you?

I agree with this assessment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If encounter numbers are the same, I don't see why the player can't simply choose which order to encounter them in.

In a game this random, which favors the house... how about giving a little back to the player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pikarus wrote:
Case 1.) Three cards are on the space, with all the same encounter number. Which order do they get encountered in? Do we need to keep track of what order they were originally drawn in for the whole game?

Case 2.) One card with encounter number 4 is on the space. When a character lands there, two cards get drawn to bring the total to 3 cards. Both drawn cards are also encounter number 4. Does the card that was already on the space get encountered before the two new cards? Or does it get encountered third since it wasn't actually drawn this turn?

Strictly by the rules, you would have to encounter them in "order drawn".
Case 1: Yes, you would have to track that, easy enough by making a little stack and leaving the oldest on top.
Case 2: The card that was already there would need to be encountered first, as it was technically drawn before the others.

BlackSimon wrote:
We have already used the rule that in these cases the cards are encountered in alphabetical order. I am pretty sure this is not official

The Black Industries rules default to Alphabetical as the tie breaker (page 15, rule 15:2). I'm not sure about older versions.
It's possible they foresaw potential issues doing it the FFG way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kipp Parks
Canada
flag msg tools
BlackSimon wrote:
Sometimes this question can be quite important, especially with event cards. (for example one teleports you to a different region and the other makes all players in the region suffer a penalty)

Quite a lot actually, and it becomes a problem when the order of the places or strangers changes the outcome of the other cards (being toaded, teleported, losing or gaining objects, fate, gold or followers)

grarrrg wrote:
Pikarus wrote:

Strictly by the rules, you would have to encounter them in "order drawn".
Case 1: Yes, you would have to track that, easy enough by making a little stack and leaving the oldest on top.
Case 2: The card that was already there would need to be encountered first, as it was technically drawn before the others.

BlackSimon wrote:
We have already used the rule that in these cases the cards are encountered in alphabetical order. I am pretty sure this is not official

The Black Industries rules default to Alphabetical as the tie breaker (page 15, rule 15:2). I'm not sure about older versions.

Stack order is how we do it already, but it gets complicated; sleep tokens, pools of fortitude, gold on various cards etc..

However, this is just a matter of difficulty to organize the card stack (cirular arrangement can work though mildly annoying..

However, I am more interested in knowing the right way to do it and I feel this is the right answer. Thanks everyone for a hasty set of responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pikarus wrote:
BlackSimon wrote:

However, I am more interested in knowing the right way to do it and I feel this is the right answer. Thanks everyone for a hasty set of responses.

Until, perhaps, you realize that alphabetical sorting is not only language-dependent but locale-dependent. So... you're playing with a player from Sweden, one from Austria, and one from Poland using a Russian Talisman set. Even better, you've got a Chinese (traditional, not simplified) Talisman set (where there's no alphabet, per se).

How do you sort those?

Just sayin'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
you're playing with a player from Sweden, one from Austria, and one from Poland using a Russian Talisman set. Even better, you've got a Chinese (traditional, not simplified) Talisman set (where there's no alphabet, per se).

How do you sort those?

Well, if they are all playing the Russian set, then I'd say it would have to default to the language of the set they are using > Russian.
OR you could rule how Magic: The Gathering does, and any language-based fiddlyness is based on English (the 'home' language of the game), regardless of actual cards.

As for Chinese, despite there being no 'alphabet', they DO have a system of 'alphabetizing' things. They do have dictionaries, and a need to sort things into easily recognizable order after all.
So there is no 'alphabetizing' issue with a Chinese set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.