$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
49.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Myth» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Relative difficulty of different monster types' minions and captains rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Monster types chosen should definitely be taken into consideration when figuring out how difficult a quest (and tile) is likely to be when setting up a game of Myth. Also, keep in mind that adding more than one monster type and/or more than one lair can also greatly increase the difficulty of a quest/tile. Also, using a Darkness Deck other than the one that came with the base game can add some nasty surprises to the game. A monster type can be greatly different in its difficulty, depending on whether there is a boss (or even a mini-boss that affects them, like Yardu with the Soulless captains for the skeleton monsters -- who then affect the Shamblers).

===

Just rating monster types by their minions and captains only, and without taking into consideration bosses or different Darkness Decks (basing everything on the assumption of using the "Terror with 1000 Legs" deck that came with the base game), here is how I would rate the difficulty of what is available so far, and why (in order from easiest to most dangerous):

Grubbers and Muckers (orc types from the base game): although these monster move intelligently, and they have a higher defense than several other monster types, they are IMHO the easiest enemy because they have no ranged attack nor any really dangerous abilities. The Grubbers' "Strength in Numbers" ability doesn't normally come into play, anyway, since it only affects their Courage value. The Mucker captains' "Prone" ability is the biggest problem, but if you can keep the captains at a distance and use ranged and AoE attacks, it doesn't come into play (it only occurs if of the captains do damage, so it behooves the adventurers to take any captains out ASAP! (Also, once you defeat the Terror with 1000 Legs boss, you can obtain a title which will protect against becoming prone.)

Shamblers and Soulless (skeleton types): If not using Yardu or Bones (or the Bones deck), these monsters are not much more dangerous than the orc types. They are slow, use undead movement, and the ranged attack of certain minions is short. The resurrection ability (given by the captains to the minions) can be annoying, especially for potential treasure drops and the Soldier's "Riding the Edge" ability, but is not usually dangerous. The captains can be somewhat formidable and also attack at a good range, and can cause the Curse 1 status which reduces a hero's hand size by 1 until cleared.

Crawlers and Stalkers (insect/arachnid types from the base game): These base game monster types can be fairly dangerous although they use instinctive movement. They all have the possibility of causing the Poison status affect from successful attacks, which can slowly drain a hero's vitality away. In addition, some of the minions have a range of 3. They are fast, and the captains can "burrow" to move adjacent to a hero that would normally be blocked by Crawlers. The "Fear Aura" emitted by the captains requires the heroes to pass a Courage test before attacking a captain and/or any other figures that are adjacent to a captain, or the hero can only roll 1d0 for the attack. (This used to be a lot worse in the 1.0 rules, where the Fear Aura could stop a hero from attacking them at all!)

Tailless and Rath (rat types): The rat types are intelligent. Since the minions use spears and slingshots, they all essentially have ranged attacks, although the spear attackers are technically considered to be melee with a range of 2. The minions are fairly fast and can get dangerous quickly because 4 or more of them attacking the same hero get a bonus to hit. The Rath captains, although slower, have a long-ranged attack which can target 2 different heroes for 2 attacks each. In addition, the captains have a Shadowstep Fate-dice ability, which if triggered, can allow the Rath much more movement, so it can be difficult to get close enough to them to attack them while they use their long-range attacks on the heroes.

Sycline and Sycleech (symbiotic plants): At first these intelligent plant monsters don't seem much more (and perhaps less) formidable than the rat types, but they are tougher than they may seem. The Sycleech captains have a 2-range melee attack which causes 2 damage, have 5 vitality (unlike the 3 for the earlier listed captains), and they require each hero to pass a Courage test before the hero can act, and also negate Shadows. They also have the possibility (from Fate Dice results) of causing extra damage and/or dodging attacks. Plus, the Sycline minions get to re-roll any of their initial attacks that miss, and also have a chance of dodging attacks.

Iathi and Io (elemental robotic types): These intelligent enemies are very tough and very dangerous! They have fairly high defense and require two successes against the defense rating to score a hit. There are three quite different types of minions all with different, impressive, special abilities, plus different Fate Dice bonuses. The captains also have a special ability to do damage to adjacent heroes, plus the possibility of
causing the Frozen status when attacking (which reduces a hero's available action spaces).

===
Addendum:
NOTE: I also have the Infected minion card. These undead enemies are not very dangerous (but their defense is 5), but they have the ability to cause a "Necrotic" wound which causes "Infected" status in the hero affected who can cause adjacent heroes to be infected. This Infected status effect negates the affected hero's ability to generate dropped treasure from killing enemies. So, even if only one of these Infected monsters does only one damage to a hero, a chain reaction can occur which may result in little or no treasure being obtained until the status effect is cleared from all heroes.

EDIT: fixed a couple of typos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this Judy. I've played a ton with the Grubbers and Crawlers, then I decided to paint, wait for 2.0 now wait for Journeyman so I haven't progressed further. This is a great writeup to give me an idea of what I'm in for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Tieman
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
WANTED: Looking for someone to make me a papillon microbadge. (Its a dog.)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jude! Your Myth wisdom is always appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if I'm learning the game you think I should start with the grubbers? And then what, what would you say the progression should be? Are there any rules I should not play until I get comfortable with the system?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
So if I'm learning the game you think I should start with the grubbers? And then what, what would you say the progression should be? Are there any rules I should not play until I get comfortable with the system?

I suggest grubbers are a good start and running a short session of Slaughterfield (described in the rulebook) which gets rid of the Darkness Event deck draws and alters a couple rules to make it easy to learn the basics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the insight!

I think it would be really helpful, especially to new players like myself, to have a difficulty rating for all the different monster types (not just bosses). Once all the Journeyman stuff arrives, I'll have 14 different races of enemies to battle! It would be helpful to rate them from least to most difficult.

Of course we will have to play quite a few games to sort that out I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.