47.9% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
38 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Hot Deals

Subject: Humble Bundle - 6 Puzzle Book PDFs for $1 - Maze of Games PDF for $7 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
flag msg tools
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Selinker has put a bunch of puzzle book PDF's up for sale via the "pay what you want" site Humble Bundle. You can find the listing here.

7 books for $1
15 books for $7, including Mike's The Maze of Games
22 books for $15 plus an audio book for The Maze of Games read by Wil Wheaton

There's even a simple puzzle in the bundle description that you can solve to get this beauty:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Teoro
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Humble Bundle - 6 Puzzle Books for $1
Thanks for the heads up, Chris. I am still kicking myself for missing the Pathfinder bundle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo De Luca
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
cbrua wrote:
There's even a simple puzzle in the bundle description that you can solve to get this beauty:

"If you've spotted a puzzle in the description below"

I... I didn't spot it :S

Nevermind!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Blankenship
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
That's a moray!
mbmbmbmbmb
leo_rockway wrote:
cbrua wrote:

Nevermind!

Maze of Games is really cool (although I admit I haven't gotten far into it). I suggest not being a cheapskate and at least paying the $7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leo_rockway wrote:
Nevermind!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snoweel wrote:
Maze of Games is really cool (although I admit I haven't gotten far into it). I suggest not being a cheapskate and at least paying the $7.

I agree. Very entertaining book and definitely worth $7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snoweel wrote:
leo_rockway wrote:
cbrua wrote:

Nevermind!

Seriously. Maze of Games should be in the title of the post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Howell                (What's Right?) (What's Wrong?)        
United States
Canoga Park
California
flag msg tools
Brought to you by Zik Zak
badge
Brought to you by Zik Zak
mbmbmbmbmb
cbrua wrote:
Mike Selinker has put a bunch of puzzle book PDF's up for sale via the "pay what you want" site Humble Bundle. You can find the listing here.

6+ books for $1
13+ books for $7, including Mike's "The Maze of Games"
20+ books for $15

Thanks for the heads up. I solved the puzzle in the offer with little difficulty, but I am not sure that I want that many crossword puzzle books. Maybe if there were a wider variety of types of puzzles, I would jump on this, but still appreciate the notification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
Seriously. Maze of Games should be in the title of the post.

OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just want to jump in and say that Maze of Games is indeed pretty awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
badgeguy wrote:
but I am not sure that I want that many crossword puzzle books.

Yeah, I was really excited when I saw a "puzzle bundle" ... I'm a puzzle nut... but I don't like crossword puzzles, at all, and it looks like that's what almost all of this bundle is. I might get the Maze of Games in hard copy, if it ever comes out in softback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hah i got Maze of Games in hardcover with their KS (the first one I ever backed if I recall correctly) but didn't want to touch the pages so printed out the pdf it came with and have been working through it with the fiance on them. Definitely recommend it, and since worldbuilders is a fine cause, I too have to cheer on those giving at least $15!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Goodstein
United States
Sunrise
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks for this post... I've been eyeing Maze of Games for quite some time (though to be honest I wanted a hard copy of it, and can't really afford it these days... but will probably bite on the $15 level here)

Anyone have experience with it? I'll probably answer my own question by reading into it more after posting this... but how does this work... are they all pdf's? Do I have to print them out then? Or can I write on them digitally? (I have Adobe Acrobat Reader DC... not "Adobe Acrobat"... so I think that means I can't write on them... I seem to remember them selling a digital version of Maze of Games with some different application (maybe it was for the ipad?) that let you draw or type on it... is that part of this deal? or any other suggestions/info for Maze of Games as well as the rest that come with this? Thanks in advance.

Also, off topic... anyone who is interested in this... have you ever heard of "The Runes" puzzle? I got this thing years ago and thought it was amazing... I'll re-edit this with a link if anyone cares... it was a bunch of inter-weaving puzzles... mostly logic puzzles and that sort of thing, but you had to solve earlier puzzles to get code words for later puzzles and that sort of thing... thought it was pretty ingenious...

here's the link:
http://www.smart-kit.com/psp/runes-puzzle.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Portney
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing of most interest to me is The Theseus Guide to the Final Maze -- this will be the a companion PDF book to the Maze of Games, to help poor lost souls like myself who can't even solve the first puzzle in Maze of Games.

I'll probably toss $15 at this for just that reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Goodstein
United States
Sunrise
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2nd question (well, really I had more than one question in my last post... but I'm just excited to ask about it since I'm assuming like-minded puzzle gamers (not necessarily the same thing as board gamers) will be reading this post...

Anyone ever check out "Maze - Solve the World's Most Challenging Puzzle" by Christopher Manson? Or "The Egyptian Jukebox" by Nick Mantock? Neither are exactly pencil-puzzles... but both are incredibly cool. I solved The Egyptian Jukebox... can't get anything done with Maze (and as I recall Maze is still more or less unsolved to this day. The Eleventh Hour was another one (though somewhat more for kids, but still very neat) by Gramme Base.

Any other suggestions for those into these kinds of things?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Goodstein
United States
Sunrise
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fugazi2112 wrote:
The thing of most interest to me is The Theseus Guide to the Final Maze -- this will be the a companion PDF book to the Maze of Games, to help poor lost souls like myself who can't even solve the first puzzle in Maze of Games.

I'll probably toss $15 at this for just that reason.

Just keep in mind, from what I am reading, the Theseus Guide to the Final Maze is going to be a number of hints based on how much the bundle makes... so it may (or may not) be a "complete" set of hints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
I am seeing people talking about crossword puzzles, and am wondering: I am not a native English speaker, far of it, and don't even really enjoy word based games/puzzles in my own language. Would I enjoy these books ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Millikin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't seen anyone mention it, so I'm posting just in case. When you back at the $42 level for the hard copy of Maze of Games, you get a discount code that covers the cost of the book on the Penny Arcade Store, but you still have to pay shipping ($15 for me!!!). So you will pay $42 toward the Humble Bundle and then whatever your shipping cost comes to in the Penny Arcade Store. Kind of killed the deal for me, but that's okay, I don't regret it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
When bad things happen, I know you want to believe they are a joke, but sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the comments here, I went for the $7 level. I'm not seeing a compelling reason to go for $15.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joemomma wrote:
Anyone have experience with it? I'll probably answer my own question by reading into it more after posting this... but how does this work... are they all pdf's?

Yes

Quote:
Do I have to print them out then? Or can I write on them digitally?

It depends on your device. I'm pretty sure Adobe Reader for tablets supports writing annotations on pages.

Quote:
I seem to remember them selling a digital version of Maze of Games with some different application (maybe it was for the ipad?) that let you draw or type on it... is that part of this deal?

The different app is "Puzzazz". A Puzzazz version of Maze of Games is not included in the deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterboy wrote:
Based on the comments here, I went for the $7 level. I'm not seeing a compelling reason to go for $15.

Am I missing something obvious?

The Maze of Games hint book could be interesting, depending on how many "clues as puzzles" get put into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about getting this bundle, but wasn't sure how the fact that they are pdfs would work. I'm not really a tablet user. Would I have to print everything up? How do you guys use the pdfs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Goodstein
United States
Sunrise
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
I was thinking about getting this bundle, but wasn't sure how the fact that they are pdfs would work. I'm not really a tablet user. Would I have to print everything up? How do you guys use the pdfs?

I was wondering the same... though I do use an ipad as well, would still rather have the option to use them at my desktop too. I did discover I could use my mouse to draw/write on PDFs using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (which I believe is free)... but it's still not quite the same as using pen/pencil... not sure how I feel about using this method and how "comfortable" it will be... I'd love to hear the opinion of others... I really do want that Maze of Games though... I love the idea of meta-puzzles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Lj
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
shadow9d9 wrote:

I believe you can load up PDFs on to most e-readers (like Kindles) if you have one of those, but I'd research before buying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:

I printed them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.