Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonny Miner
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the game and am trying to learn the basic game rules.

1) If you're playing solo, does it make any difference which character you "control"? On page 15 of the basic rules book it says if your character dies to 'take control' of a different character. Aren't you already 'controlling' all the characters in a solo game?

2) At the top of page 14 it says that the civilian unit opted to retreat rather than fight the approaching zeds. Is this an option? I can't find a reference anywhere else to an option to retreat rather than fight. All the other examples I can find say a fight happens immediately when a zed enters the same space as another character or unit.

3) What if you draw a 'play immediately'-type fate card and nobody is on the listed track? Does the effect still take place? What if more than 1 character is on that track?

Thanks!

Fuzzy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first basic game over the weekend so I'm hardly an expert. I can only help with the first question right now (perhaps the second when I can see the manual once home).

When playing the Solo Basic Game, no it doesn't really matter. The reason is that there are only 5 characters you could choose from and you're going to have 4 of them in your game (with the possibility of the 5th coming in).

Remember that you choose one Hero character and then the rest are randomly selected until there is a total of 4 characters in play. So unless there is one specific character you want to make sure is in your game, it's not a big deal.

In a co-op game, you get to decide how to use the "Player Action" of your own character, and then as a group you discuss how to use any extra "Event Actions" you have. So in that respect you may wish to play a specific character and decide their fate. And in a co-op situation each player would choose one Hero they want, with random ones pulled filled out as needed.

As you progress up the game levels, more characters will become available. At that point you may wish to have more say over your Hero character, making sure a favourite joins you, given the rest will be random and you won't be able to safely predict who those might be.

Edit: In regards to your third question, I believe the rules say that if a card refers to something that isn't applicable, you can ignore it. Not sure if that helps or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hunt
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Elfuzzilito wrote:
Just got the game and am trying to learn the basic game rules.

1) If you're playing solo, does it make any difference which character you "control"? On page 15 of the basic rules book it says if your character dies to 'take control' of a different character. Aren't you already 'controlling' all the characters in a solo game?

2) At the top of page 14 it says that the civilian unit opted to retreat rather than fight the approaching zeds. Is this an option? I can't find a reference anywhere else to an option to retreat rather than fight. All the other examples I can find say a fight happens immediately when a zed enters the same space as another character or unit.

3) What if you draw a 'play immediately'-type fate card and nobody is on the listed track? Does the effect still take place? What if more than 1 character is on that track?

Thanks!

Fuzzy

1) You pick one hero then randomly select the other three heroes. While you are actually playing the game it really doesn't matter which one you are but it is kinda nice for thematic role playing reasons to say i'm Sheriff Hunt.

2) This is probably a typo and is suppose to say Villagers.

3) If a cards text does not apply to the current situation, ignore it. This is the general rule across most card driven board games as far as I can tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It's not a typo, the Event allows a player to choose to retreat before the attack occurs or fight a normal HtH combat

Exactly right.

Alan Emrich

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:
Quote:
It's not a typo, the Event allows a player to choose to retreat before the attack occurs or fight a normal HtH combat

Exactly right.

Alan Emrich

I tried to find the item in question the OP was referring too, but couldn't see it in the rulebook. I had assumed it was page 14 of the Basic Rulebook?

However it sounds like the rule in question (or the example) has to do with an Event card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Miner
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, page 14 of the basic game rule book. It doesn't mention that it only applies to an event card. Apparently that's the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elfuzzilito wrote:
Correct, page 14 of the basic game rule book. It doesn't mention that it only applies to an event card. Apparently that's the case.

I think the downloadable rules from the Victory Point website (under Game Resources tab) must be laid out differently than the printed rules. Page 14 in those is the continuation of combat and doesn't talk about retreating that I can see.

Quote:
iii. For Hand-to-Hand Combat:

- Compare the Zeds units’ Strength to the fighting Player unit’s Strength.
- Use how strong the Zeds are compared to the Player unit to determine the appropriate Initial
Column on the Hand-to-Hand Combat Table on your Player Aid.

3. Apply Column Shifts and Determine the Final Column:

Certain abilities and / or conditions shift the Initial Column (from the above step) a number of columns to the left
( <#), which is bad for you, or right (#> ), which is good for you. After applying the net shift, use that Final Column to
determine the Combat Result. For example, a combat with these shifts: <1, <1, and 1>, would have a net shift of <1
applied; the Final Column would be the > ) are indicated on Hero, Event, and Fate cards, while others are shown on various
markers. The effects of combat shifts are cumulative.

Terrain shifts (X> )are a special kind of shift that apply only when your unit is defending in Hand-to-Hand
combat, and you receive only the single best Terrain shift. Zeds never get Terrain shifts.

Named spaces automatically give defending Player units a Terrain shift:

•1> if a Player unit is defending in a named space (e.g., a Village space, the Campground, etc.) outside of Town.
•2> if a Player unit is defending in a Town space (e.g., the #0 spaces such as Downtown or Suburbia). As a rule,
you do not defend at Town Center; if the Zeds enter that space, you instantly lose.
Be sure to apply the net shift of all the markers and abilities plus the single best Terrain shift (when defending) to
each combat.

Player units are only considered to be defending when Zeds enter their space, regardless of how.

4. Determine the Combat Result: Roll two dice (z z):

a. Find the sum on the left side of the Combat Table.
b. Cross-index this sum with the Final Column to
determine the Combat Result.
i. For Gunfire Attacks: The numbers indicate how
many Hits are applied to the target unit.
ii. For Hand-to-Hand Combat: The number to the left is the Hits applied to the
Zeds units and the number to the right is the Hits applied to the Player unit. The
highlighted side indicates who lost.

5. Apply the Hits: First to the Zeds, and then to your unit. See Rule 6.2.

6. Apply Retreats: See Rule 6.4.

How Things Roll in Dawn of the Zeds: Higher
die rolls are always better for the Hero’s side
than low rolls. High is good! Low is bad…

Initial Column
Zeds x3: When the Zeds units’ Strength is at least three
times greater than the Player unit’s Strength.

Zeds x2: When the Zeds units’ Strength is at least two
times greater, but less than three times greater, than the
Player unit’s Strength.

Zeds Advantage: When the Zeds units’ Strength is greater
than, but less than two times greater than, the Player unit’s
Strength.

Equal To: The Zeds units’ Strength and the Player unit’s
Strength are the same.

Human Advantage: When the Player unit’s Strength is
greater than, but less than two times greater than, the Zeds
units’ Strength.

Human x2: When the Player unit’s Strength is at least
two times, but less than three times, greater than the Zeds
units’ Strength.

Human x3: When the Player unit’s Strength is at least
three times greater than the Zeds units’ Strength.

Or perhaps I am missing something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Miner
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, now I see it. It's at the top of page 13 in the PDF on the website, and it does make a reference to the " Cardio" event card. I was unfamiliar with that card when I was reading the manual and didn't realize they were referring to a special case when that card appears. My bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elfuzzilito wrote:
Ok, now I see it. It's at the top of page 13 in the PDF on the website, and it does make a reference to the " Cardio" event card. I was unfamiliar with that card when I was reading the manual and didn't realize they were referring to a special case when that card appears. My bad.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh okay yes I can see what you're referring to and that is totally an easy mistake to make.

It's good we cleared it up so anyone else searching the forums for questions can see the replies and follow along.

Did you get an satisfactory answer to your third question? Any new ones regarding the Basic game? I read the rules, as I played the turns for the Basic game so it took some time, but after a while things started to click. I know I had the same initial confusion picking characters, you did. And the combat table took a couple reads for me to click into place.

I lost my first game, but came close. Only had the end event card left (after the one I lost on). It was fun, I'm looking forward to trying it out again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Miner
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried the "long co-op or standard solo game" and lost pretty badly. I'm going to try the shorter version next.

I'm definitely getting a better handle on the game.

One more quick question: am I reading the foraging table correctly that for the basic game (no food), you will fail unless you roll a 6??? Hardly seems worth wasting an action if that's the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elfuzzilito wrote:
I tried the "long co-op or standard solo game" and lost pretty badly. I'm going to try the shorter version next.

One more quick question: am I reading the foraging table correctly that for the basic game (no food), you will fail unless you roll a 6??? Hardly seems worth wasting an action if that's the case.

Yeah you're reading that correctly. I felt the same way as I didn't have a need for supplies in the Basic game. I went to the mine and rolled there because you'd need some type of ammo on a success (although I did not have many successes myself when I played, damn you dice).

I suspect when I start playing with supplies foraging will feel more vital.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
Elfuzzilito wrote:

Remember though that the "Basic" game is a simpler version of the standard game, so things really start at Level 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Miner
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I played through the short version of the basic game last night and it went very smoothly. I lost on the last event card. It actually came down to a final roll of the dice! If those roller girls could have just rolled a 7 instead of the snake-eyes they gave me!!!! It was awesome. Going to try the level 1 game tonight. Looking forward to adding in more of the missing game systems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.