Popular Tags: [View All]
JR
Canada
East Sooke
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up Fields of Arle the minute I learned about it because I could tell it would appeal greatly to me from reading the rules and watching some videos of how it plays. I was right and after my first foray into the solitaire game I was very delighted with the purchase.

I am a fan of most of Uwe's games from the past 10 years or so and while I like much about them to begin with, his dedication to providing quality solitaire rules in the box is a BIG plus for me. I already own Glass Road and enjoy its solitaire play very much as well.

I do play with others, but keeping in mind the criteria of wanting the game to *also* support solitaire (and support it well), can anyone suggest any games that might suit my collection? Not necessarily strictly worker placement types games and maybe not even an agrarian theme, but this theme seems to work well for me, I suppose because I really like games with mechanisms that allow the development of customized engines and I like system optimizing. Race for the Galaxy is an example of a game I enjoy very much outside of that theme, as it has very nice engine-building mechanisms within it.

I already have almost all of the Uwe games that might make the list (Caverna, Agricola, Loyang, the two already mentioned, etc) so I'd be looking at recommendations outside of his opus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first two that come to mind are Snowdonia and Scythe. Oh, looking over at my game shelf you might also like Forge War. Forge War and Snowdonia are more about optimizing than engine building though. Scythe is a fascinating engine-building/optimization puzzle blended with limited combat and area control. The solo AI is incredibly well designed. Worth a look.

Glass Road is an incredible game!

Check out the 1-player guild and the People's Choice Top 100 Solo Games for more good solo game ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Fleet with the Arctic Bounty expansion makes for a decent little solo engine builder. It's definitely on the lighter/shorter side though (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pugnax555 wrote:
Fleet with the Arctic Bounty expansion makes for a decent little solo engine builder. It's definitely on the lighter/shorter side though (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

Great suggestion! I own that game and play it a bunch solo too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely +1 for Snowdonia.

I'm just getting started with Scythe, and haven't tried the Automa version yet, but my initial impression is that it's going to be a great solo experience.

-djm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael W.
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My number one solo game is Mage Knight. I really love Uwe's games but for me Mage Knight is over the top. You don't really built up an engine, but you build up your deck of cards. If you like Uwe's games you should like Mage Knight too because it's also a puzzle strategie game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Bloody Inn has reasonable solo rules if you are into a smaller footprint engine building game, and you are into the macabre theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerritjan Roubos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Imperial Settlers
There is a very nice solo-campaign here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1575242/solo-campaign
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
East Sooke
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. Lots of interesting sounding stuff for me to look into, and I've joined that guild. "Together, we game alone". Brilliant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. Lots of interesting sounding stuff for me to look into, and I've joined that guild. "Together, we game alone". Brilliant!

Welcome to the guild! Check out the Solitaire Games on Your Table monthly geeklist, there is a lot of action there and it is a great place to discover new games too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
Near Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You could check out Viticulture Essential Edition. Great game that can be played solo out of the box using the Automa deck.

I have never tried a solo game yet, but from what people tell, it is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
East Sooke
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
So Snowdonia has strong solitaire play and is themed about building railways in the mountains..?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
So Snowdonia has strong solitaire play and is themed about building railways in the mountains..?

It is! Great game for solo play. Two scenarios in the box, tons of others available.

There is a cube-pull AI (that is present in solo and multiplayer games) that makes this a great solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Snowdonia is good stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
FoA is one of my favorite solo games, so maybe we're on the same wavelength RE solo gaming. My criteria are: elegant, simple rules, deep strategy, puzzly/thinky. Here are some other ones that I like:

Agricola: ACBAS - You have this, so maybe you know already, but there is a great solo variant. Combined with the expansion buildings and the PnP fan expansion, this has become a favorite of mine for a 30 min solo puzzle.

Roads & Boats: my current favorite solo game. It has every feature I like: simple rules, spatial/network aspect, engine building, easy to learn but deep strategy and hard to master. There are a number of puzzle maps available (see BGG file section) - I'm currently working on "Small World S22".

La Granja: has a very nice official solo variant. Similar vibe to Loyang.

Viticulture + Tuscany: nice WP solo game. Like Loyang, the cards can swing the result quite a bit.

The Gallerist: my latest purchase. We played our first game last night (2p), and had a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to trying the solo variant, which is considered excellent.

Space Cadets: Away Missions: For something different, this is a dice-fest dungeon crawler coop, but with quite a satisfyingly puzzly aspect.

Speaking of dungeon crawlers, there's also Legends of Andor, which is really a puzzly euro.

Nippon: I haven't played this, but apparently there's a good solo variant. It's on my wishlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
East Sooke
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the solo ACBaS game, and it's pretty good! The game is a little too light for me generally, but as you say it plays fast so I don't mind it as a quick play. Mostly I own ACBaS for play with my wife, whom I am hoping to eventually turn on to Glass Road and then (with luck) Fields of Arle...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Quichotte
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmb
I also play solo very often and I am a Rosenberg fan too. Fields of Arle and Agricola + Farmers of the Moor are in my personal top 5, while Glass Road is in my top 10. For solo play I'd recommend:
- Lewis and Clark (top 10 multiplayer)
- Pandemic + On the Brink expansion (top 5 multiplayer), if you don't mind coops (others love In the Lab expansion too, but I haven't played it yet)
- this will come as a bit of a stretch. If you are willing to play a home made variant, I made this one: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/19140635#19140635. It's for Keyflower (another top 5 of mine) with both big expansions, The Farmers and The Merchants. The variant could work well enough with just the base game or with only one of the two expansions, I don't know, I haven't tried it this way. Actually, I'm sure it works, but I don't know how much of a downgrade would it be compared to the full blown base game + 2 expansions. With the two expansions, Keyflower is a fantastic multiplayer game IMO, easily worth the cash and with absolutely huge replayability. My solo variant may seem a bit clunky rules-wise, but I enjoy it tremendously - I can say that I like it at least as much as the multiplayer game! This, after having played it at least 20-25 times!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.