Subject: Is good enough, good enough? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
So, you have a game you enjoy, but then you hear of, or demo, or read a trusted reviewer's opinion, or are informed by a gaming buddy that a new game is very similar to that game but does it a bit better.

Does this make you dissatisfied with your current game and you go out and buy the new game?

or

Do you continue to enjoy the game you have and figure that you've already got a game that "does that"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it's a game I enjoy I would keep it and not buy the new game that's similar but I'd use the money to buy something else since there are so many wonderful games out there with different themes and gameplay to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A good game is a good game period. If I enjoy playing the game I own then what's the issue? Sure the game I don't have may do something a little better than the game I own, but what if I spend the money on the game I have never played get it home play it and then find out that yes it does one thing better but it turns out to do three things worse and I don't enjoy it. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, or as Spock once said to Stonn: "She is yours. In time you may find that having a thing is not so pleasing as wanting a thing. It is not logical, but it is often true."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, good is not good enough. There are too many good games out there, I want excellent games. The cream of the crop if you will, jam packed with awesomeness. A reviewer is not going to make that decision for me though, I will make that decision by playing them myself if I find it interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you already own a good game, I see no reason to "upgrade" to the newer "better" version.

Lookin' at you Fantasy Flight Games *glare*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm not sure the scenario makes much sense. Outside of revised editions or reboots I can't think of that many games which you could say were similar to each other without boiling it down to central mechanics like 'area control'. Problem is at that point it's largely down to how much you happen to like the genre - if you're not a huge fan of worker placement games then they're all pretty much the same; if you are then even the most subtle changes can be major differences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh J
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
It wouldn't make my opinion change about my own game, but it would make me interested to try the other game as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally, I like similar games anyway, so have no problem buying another, say, dudes on a map game, block game, lcg, cdg, civ game. And maybe if my desire to play the old one REALLY drops I'll get rid of it. But I don't mind collecting options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Bart
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's more fun to enjoy a reasonable collection of good to great games than to continually chase 'the best' (?) games. Hobby time is better spent on playing, than on researching, buying, selling, trading ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really get exposed much to games that might replace something I already own unless I am at least mildly dissatisfied with what I own.

Let's take Engine Building games. I already own Dominion. It is the best engine builder I've encountered to date. As I already own it, I don't bother reading reviews of other engine builders (why would I, I'm not looking for another one), and if I want to play an engine builder, I'll play Dominion, I won't go looking for a different game. I already don't play Dominion enough for my liking.

However, let's look at Resource Conversion games. I own Roads & Boats. It is a very good resource conversion game, the best I've played to date. However, it is a bit longer and more complex than I'd really like. So, I do read up on other resource conversion games to see if there is one that has what I like about Roads & Boats (multiple levels, more than just A turns into B turns into points), but in a shorter time frame and with fewer rules. In that case, if I find something better, which could happen, which I have more fun playing, I will sell off Roads & Boats and buy the other one.

Note, just hearing about the latest fad game from some Cultist will not get me to ditch a game that has stood the test of time. Cultists are particularly fickle and it seems that every week they've found a new game that is the best ever. For at least a week, anyhow, until they play the next fad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
eilif wrote:
So, you have a game you enjoy, but then you hear of, or demo, or read a trusted reviewer's opinion, or are informed by a gaming buddy that a new game is very similar to that game but does it a bit better.

I am a fifty-two year old, so I don't believe it until I see it. It may be good, but every new thing is stunning and wonderful when you first hear about it.

On side note, what is a "trusted reviewer"? Does such a creature exist?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
TracerBullet wrote:
If you already own a good game, I see no reason to "upgrade" to the newer "better" version.

Besides, how often to you try it and find out that it's 'flashy and new', but really doesn't do it better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Krause
United States
GRAND RAPIDS
Michigan
flag msg tools
I acquired Suburbia the same week The Castles of Mad King ludwig came out. For months after that everyone was telling me how much more they preferred Castles to Suburbia, and how funny it was that I spent 60 bucks on a game that was clearly inferior. Fast forward 1 year. Everybody is asking me to bring my copy of Suburbia to gaming and nobody is even playing Ludwig.

The moral of this story is, "Just because something is the new doesn't mean it's better." Play what you like, because you like it, not because there's something out there better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
TracerBullet wrote:

Besides, how often to you try it and find out that it's 'flashy and new', but really doesn't do it better.

Almost always, but I still play T&E, Through the Desert, 6 nimmt!, Can't Stop, Acquire...

Most new and flashy is, in my experience, shallow and disposable.

EDIT - Dang it, failed to recognize Guantanamo's sarcasm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just buy a game that's the same but slightly better than what I have. But I would strive to at least try it. Sometimes they will both have a place in my collection, or sometimes I will then acquire the new one and trade away my original game. It definitely doesn't make me like the original less, but if after trying the new game, I find that I enjoy it more and it actually does replace the original for me? Well, I'd rather know of the better game so I can make my own mind up, I wouldn't ignore it because I have the original though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Johnson
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
eilif wrote:

Does this make you dissatisfied with your current game and you go out and buy the new game?

or

Do you continue to enjoy the game you have and figure that you've already got a game that "does that"?

Bit of column A bit of column B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every now and then an improvement on a design comes out, but I'm not going to go chasing incremental improvements. If I like A and what it does is slightly improved by A', then A'', then A''', then A'''' that's great, but I'm not going to get in on every single possible iteration. Maybe down the road I'll finally spring for A''''''' and give A a rest, but jumping on to all those things even for one game, much less for many games, just seems tiresome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
Great insights folks.
My bent on this is that there are so many interesting and different games out there that, even if I've played a slightly newer/better example, I'm likely to stick with what I've got and instead look to add something further from what I already have to my game collection.

There's also a small financial angle. So many of the games I acquire are resale or super-sale finds that I'm likely to stick with what I already have simply based on cheapness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Third option: continue to enjoy the game you have and buy the new game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Third option: continue to enjoy the game you have and buy the new game.

Ditto.

I just bought Mystic Vale knowing that it is just the intro to card crafting that Edge of Darkness will expand upon. But I also intend to buy Edge of Darkness. Mystic Vale will still be relevant to play to introduce the mechanism, or for players who want a lighter experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.