Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Hovan
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It occurred to me early in a game of PBEM FITL (using Dropbox) that we have no way to play our Pivotal cards correctly. Well, I guess the person who is up can announce what they are doing and wait an agreed upon amount of time before acting.

The same question would apply to the same format of Liberty or Death.

How have you solved this problem? I do not see an easy way to do it. If I drop my Pivotal event on you after you have played, then my Pivotal event has become even more powerful than it already is.

I see no elegant solution. Therefore, I toss it out to the community here.

What say you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Gotta go slow, gotta go fast, gotta swing low when I walk past..."
badge
Turtle Cat (2/26/16) by Rachel Kremer of semicoop.com
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, there is no elegant solution but it's doable. In the games I've done, when ours were active, we tried to wait about a day between turns to see if anyone would speak up. Occasionally we just had to rewind a turn. Once one person used it, we all waited to see if the other PE trumps would happen before proceeding with the ultimate PE that is going to occur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hovan
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
143245 wrote:
yeah, there is no elegant solution but it's doable. In the games I've done, when ours were active, we tried to wait about a day between turns to see if anyone would speak up. Occasionally we just had to rewind a turn. Once one person used it, we all waited to see if the other PE trumps would happen before proceeding with the ultimate PE that is going to occur.

Did it seem to matter that the player of the PE got to see the results of the turn he trumped?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Carter
United States
Neptune
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the games I've been in, we've just used the honor system. If someone says that they were going to use a Pivotal Event, we just trust that they were going to use it and go back a turn if necessary. I haven't seen anyone come up with a better solution.

The only alternative I can see is if the first up faction purposefully points out to the playing with the PE that he can play one and ask if he will. But that just makes things take longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hovan
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plainscape wrote:
All the games I've been in, we've just used the honor system. If someone says that they were going to use a Pivotal Event, we just trust that they were going to use it and go back a turn if necessary. I haven't seen anyone come up with a better solution.

The only alternative I can see is if the first up faction purposefully points out to the playing with the PE that he can play one and ask if he will. But that just makes things take longer.

Yeah, every solution I could think of would add extensive time. Plus there would have to be an agreement on how long is enough for someone to say they are playing the PE or not. I like the honor system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To all:

In PBEMs where Pivotal Events might be in play, and as a matter of courtesy, we used the following: (1) if someone else had a Pivotal Event available for play, the Active player would ask whether or not that player (or players if more than one) planned to play the Pivotal Event to trump play on the current Event card; and (2) if the Active player planned to play their Pivotal Event, and if another player(s) could "trump it," would ask for confirmation on whether or not the other player(s) would "trump it" (and unlike the negotiation rule 1.5 would be bound by their choice). By handling the Pivotal Event play by e-mail, that should avoid some of these "rewind" issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.