Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know troll and toad used to do this but stopped, is there a booth that buys used games at gencon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Humpert
United States
Dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not familiar with any (7 year Gen Con veteran). Lots of minis and card buyers, but not aware of any game buyers.

You know about the auction and consignment store - right?

http://www.gencon.com/experience/2016auction

You can basically set your prices, drop off games, and pick up your pay out at the end of the con (or pick up the games that didn't sell, if you want them back).

There's also a Flea Market Geeklist going on now, if you want to sell them ahead of time and arrange meetups: Gen Con Flea Market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it's been a while since I sold anything. I am pretty sure it was troll and toad that were buying them a decade ago. I took some in a few times. Then one year I brought in a few and they had a much smaller booth that wasn't buying or really selling anything but cards and I had to carry them around.

I might try your ideas, I will be there Wed morning. The auction isn't that great. tops at 50 bucks, and they take 25 percent plus 3 bucks. So you're looking at 35ish dollars IF it sells top tier. Unless I read the rates wrong....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:
Yeah it's been a while since I sold anything. I am pretty sure it was troll and toad that were buying them a decade ago. I took some in a few times. Then one year I brought in a few and they had a much smaller booth that wasn't buying or really selling anything but cards and I had to carry them around.

I might try your ideas, I will be there Wed morning. The auction isn't that great. tops at 50 bucks, and they take 25 percent plus 3 bucks. So you're looking at 35ish dollars IF it sells top tier. Unless I read the rates wrong....

Here is the direct link to the website:

http://www.livegameauctions.com/

Even if they take a large percentage of the sale, its still far more than you would get selling to Troll and Toad or another reseller. They buy games at well below 1/2 their resale value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaphod wrote:

Here is the direct link to the website:

http://www.livegameauctions.com/

Even if they take a large percentage of the sale, its still far more than you would get selling to Troll and Toad or another reseller. They buy games at well below 1/2 their resale value.

I think I did read it wrong. I think the 50cap is for stuff selling in the store. I can't imagine they'd limit an auction, that's part of the fun when people get into a bidding war! I think now, I'd lose 15 percent and 2 bucks. Which isn't too bad.

Gen Con 2016
Pre-Registration On-Site
Auction Tag Cost $2.00 n/a
Store Tag Cost $1.00 n/a
Auction Commission 15%
Store Commission 10%
Max Store Item Amount $50.00
Bidder Card Cost $1.00
Tab Deposit $50.00
http://www.livegameauctions.com/PreRegSite/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the $50 limit is for the store. You can also specify to have the auction item go into the store with the minimum bid as the starting price (if it didn't sell at the regular auction).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Fountaine
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Caraher
United States
Greencastle
Indiana
flag msg tools
"The auction isn't that great. tops at 50 bucks, and they take 25 percent plus 3 bucks. So you're looking at 35ish dollars IF it sells top tier. Unless I read the rates wrong...."

I think you are indeed reading that incorrectly. The consignment shop has a $50 cap, auctions do not. For the auction, it's $2 to list and a 15% commission. For the store, it's $1 to list and a 10% commission. It looks like you added those numbers, but that's not how it works!

You can look at the selling prices from previous years - there were definitely games selling at auction for more than $50!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
caraher wrote:
"The auction isn't that great. tops at 50 bucks, and they take 25 percent plus 3 bucks. So you're looking at 35ish dollars IF it sells top tier. Unless I read the rates wrong...."

I think you are indeed reading that incorrectly. The consignment shop has a $50 cap, auctions do not. For the auction, it's $2 to list and a 15% commission. For the store, it's $1 to list and a 10% commission. It looks like you added those numbers, but that's not how it works!

You can look at the selling prices from previous years - there were definitely games selling at auction for more than $50!

Yeah after thinking about it, I thought an auction would be pretty lame if it only went to 50. Oooh I want that, fifty bucks! sold!

That chart could be better arranged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.