Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Dec. 1st

I've failed again.

I was in the Sheriff's Office, waiting for him, when I heard shooting coming from outside. I raced out the backdoor and saw three men with bandannas around their faces carrying money sacks and running away from the bank, one of them about to dart right past me!

I put almost my entire load of buckshot into him, and he didn't go down! I couldn't let him get away, so I smashed a jar of that strange ash right down at his feet. He fell then, but that ash made my skin tingle.

I grabbed the money sack from the downed outlaw and ran to the center of town. Eric was trying to stop the other two, and had one caught in that invisible field of his, but he didn't seem to be able to take either down.

The bandits were shooting at us from the bank, and then another trio came out, one going north while the other two headed east. I was able to bring down the northern one, but it took two blasts of my shotgun to do it! I've fought giant monsters that didn't take as much lead to kill as these outlaws!

Eric stopped one, but they just kept coming out of the bank, and occasionally we would hear shots inside the bank.

That's when the Sheriff and four men came into town. They looked awful, with bandages everywhere and covered in dried blood. Still, they didn't hestitate; they stormed that bank right away.

Only it was too late.

There had been three hostages trapped in the bank: a gambler named Joe Davis, a schoolmarm called Alison O'Shaunessy and Phil Harrison, a miner. The last bandit in there had shot every one of them in the head. As soon as the Sheriff and his posse came in, he surrendered with a smile.

I don't know how Sheriff Roberts managed to keep from shooting that murdering son of a coyote; for sure I couldn't have kept myself from pulling the trigger! He took him down to the jail and locked him in. Then he came back to talk with me and Eric.

When we met up I seen Eric had lost all of his mustache, with little wavy tentacles in the place of the hairs that used to be there. No one knows how that feels better than I do, and given the tingle it had given me I was afraid my smashing that jar was whut had done this to Eric, which made me feel worse than ever, if that were even possible.

Knowing how short I'd fallen o' what was needed, I wanted to slink away with my tail between my legs (that's just a metaphor), but the Sheriff thanked me for trying to help, even though I did little good.

Turns out the bandits belonged to a Mexican gang come north over the border, El Tejon's Desperados. They're infamous for planning out their heists and for having the constitution of wild oxes; that's why they're all so hard to kill.

If I weren't committed to bringing in Scafford, I'd be after this group's leader, Carlos Rodriguez de Salvo, like a shot. I'd wanted to talk to the Sheriff about the Scafford gang, but it didn't seem right to bring that up now, especially with how bad he looked.

Then Sheriff Roberts asked Eric and I if we'd be willing to stay and defend the town. I asked him if he thought the Badger was going to descend on it with his whole gang in order to free animal we captured. He said no, what he was afraid of was that the mine to the south was going ta let loose with a whole horde o' critters. He'd led a posse of a dozen men into that hole in the ground, and only he and four others had made it out. The beasts had been everywhere, he said, and they'd barely made it back over the bridge which was the only way out.

I asked him why he didn't just blow the bridge, and he said the chasm it was over had walls rough enough to climb; blowing it up wouldn't have stopped the things from coming. He said he needed to dynamite the whole cavern complex to seal them in, but dynamite was one thing Serafin was awful short on now, because a new mine had just appeared in the middle of Mt. La Terra, and since it was unclaimed, most of the miners in town had headed out to work it and taken most of the dynamite with them.

I didn't like the sound of a mine suddenly "appearing" one bit, but it was clear that this infested mine to the south was the big problem right now. So I offered to go with Eric and hold the bridge against any critters that might try to get out.

I hadn't talked this over with Eric and I wouldn't have blamed him for refusing to go, but he backed me right up. Sheriff Roberts argued it was suicide, but I told him Eric and I had been in tough spots before and always come through. It was the least I could do for this town, after what had just happened.

There was no time to waste, so Eric and I set out immediately. If I don't come back to make another entry, then know that I was doing my best to make up for the people I failed in the bank.

Dec. 2nd

I think that mine must lead straight down into the depths of Hell, given what was coming out of it. No sooner had Eric and I made it to that bridge than we heard all of this skittering and chittering. Eric went over the bridge to the other side of the chasm and then they came.

Two yellow-tailed serpent-men with wooden shields and clubs embedded with Dark Stone shards slithered down from the north, going right onto the bridge! Behind them were half a dozen of those Void Spiders.

Over to the west another six Void spiders were acoming, along with another of those giant lizardmen with the big guns that we found on the frozen plateau. While Eric was blazing away at the spiders just north of him the thing shot at him, but fortunately that red beam of burning light just clipped my partner.

I emptied my shotgun into the serpent-men, wounded one and sent the other tumbling off the bridge into the abyss. Eric shot the remaining serpent-man in the back of the head and then finished off those northern Void Spiders.

Unfortunately the western group went racing past Eric and onto my side of the gap, while the lizardman stopped right next to Eric. I lit the fuse on my barrel full of gunpowder and hefted it in my arms to throw at the spiders.

The Lizardmen shot at me this time and I ducked, but I still caught what happened next. It was a sight that will follow me to my grave.

The big lizard lashed out with his gun, using it as a club to give poor Eric an uppercut that sent him backflipping right into the chasm!

I screamed, knowing I'd just seen Eric die. I wanted to rip that creature apart with my bare hands, but I know I couldn't let those spiders get out of here, or a lot more people would die.

I threw the barrel into the center of their group and blew up four of them, while blowing a few legs off the other two. Unfortunately it didn't seem to slow them down none and they blazed east into the cavern there.

I turned back toward the lizardman and my heart just about stopped when I saw Eric clamber up next to it! He told me later he'd caught at the side of the chasm and managed to climb back up. I saw him gun down that lizardman and I just about cheered.

Then three of those tentacles came from west, ripping through the rock, while another horde of spiders came from the north, followed by four of those stranglers.

Eric and I went back to work, him shooting the spiders while I unloaded my shotgun on the tentacles. We joined together to block the bridge as we saw a two-headed giant rat run toward us from the west.

Then the Stranglers hit Eric and it was like they were in a frenzy! Eric went down under them and then up from the chasm came a Night Terror and three more Spiders, all of whom raced away into the southern cavern. I felt a sense of dread and my moustache tentacles tingled, but nothing happened.

The Stranglers and the giant rat ran past me and I had a choice to make. I could go after them or I could try to rouse Eric. It weren't no easy choice, but in the end I couldn't leave a man down.

I managed to wake up Eric, and he surprised me by bolting after the Stranglers, killing all three and locking that giant ran inside the invisible wall of his.

I knew two spiders had already gotten away, and I doubted I could catch the remaining three, but maybe I could still stop that Night Terror.

I raced past Eric, using all my grit to run as fast as I could. The giant beast was right at the entrance, but I brought my shotgun up and prayed with all my might that I could get him.

And I did! The Night Terror went down, but my lucky ring seemed to shine and the next thing I knew my right hand had melted and molded itself around my shotgun's trigger!

It was another warping of my body, but I couldn't spend no time on it then. I ran back to Eric's side and we took down that giant rat together.

I felt I'd made up for what had happened in town, at least as much as any man can. That was damn important to me, don't get me wrong, but so was what happened next.

Eric and I went checking all the bodies to make sure they was really dead. When I got to the serpent-man Eric had shot in the back of the head I found he had a pistol stuck under his leather belt, but not just any pistol: it had an S engraved into the handle. It was a Scafford pistol!

I don't know how that abomination got hold of it, but this was the first real solid sign I'd found in all these months that I was close to my quarry.

Eric wanted that pistol, and so I sold it to him. It's an odd picture he makes now, with an outlaw pistol in one hand and a Judge in the other. With the Scafford gun, his tentacle tongue, fingers and moustache, he could pass for a member of the gang himself! In fact maybe I could use him to infiltrate them!

No, what in tarnation am I thinking? It's far too dangerous to send Eric in alone. It's like Will taught me, you always have your partner watch your back. I gotta be careful I don't let my drive to git Scafford run away with me, but I'm so close! I know I am!

The journey back to town was easy, except for this leader of a mutant group who wanted us to pay a "toll" for passing through his lands. I'd a fought him had he been one of Scafford's, but there was no sign of the Colonel's S on any of his stuff, so Eric and I just paid him and moved along.

I'm turning in now, since I'm bone dead tired. Maybe Eric and I will be able to get Scafford into custody by Christmas; I can't think of a better present I could have than that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim de Groot
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, a sign of the Scafford gang! Be sure to bring your a-game, as those bastards are notoriously tough (maybe even worse then the Mexican gang).

Next up the hunt for the scafford gang?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's interesting to read these. It's so different from the game I try to play. I avoid corruption like the plague (I know the game can just saddle you with sudden corruption so I'm not blaming you guys) and probably wouldn't keep playing with corruption based mutations I couldn't cure. It would interfere with my idea of a heroic game.

But your game sounds like you're having fun so anything that works for you is good right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
ttsgosadow wrote:
Yes, a sign of the Scafford gang! Be sure to bring your a-game, as those bastards are notoriously tough (maybe even worse then the Mexican gang).

Next up the hunt for the scafford gang?

And we found that pistol at exactly at the right time! Given the amount of Gear cards we have in the deck, it amazed me to draw the Scafford pistol at the conclusion of this mission, but it turns out that was nothing compared to what happened later! I swear, through some terrific streak of luck, our last few missions have turned out like they were scripted by a Dungeon Master. I LOVE that!

Not quite hunting the Scafford gang yet, but we're getting very close! Stay tuned, especially since I just submitted another Session Report!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
carbon_dragon wrote:
It's interesting to read these. It's so different from the game I try to play. I avoid corruption like the plague (I know the game can just saddle you with sudden corruption so I'm not blaming you guys) and probably wouldn't keep playing with corruption based mutations I couldn't cure. It would interfere with my idea of a heroic game.

But your game sounds like you're having fun so anything that works for you is good right?

No so different as you think! Marshal Burroughs frankly isn't as wise in the ways of dark stone as my other character, Swift Eagle, who quickly bought a Tomb Chest, but he does have a horror of mutations, which is why he's generally tried to get them removed. I've attempted to express that facet of his character in the journal writings, but maybe I haven't done as good a job as I thought.

These last few games my character has had some bad luck, plus the diabolical lure of his extremely powerful Ring of Corruptiondevil! In the mission I was detailing here a Growing Dread card gave him enough Corruption to mutate and then he rolled the Tentacle Mustache mutation again! If not for the fact that he already had 2nd Resolve upgrade on the Marshal tree, Clyde would have died then and theregulp!

Ironically, the aftermath of the latest mission we played deals very heavily with mutation and attitudes toward it. I'll get the story posted here as soon as I reasonably can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.