Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randall Holbrook
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A couple CSA armies got stuck in this valley. USA AoC has the rail lines west of Chattanooga, the AoP controls rail lines on the east end by Lynchburg. The CSA has a depot at Knoxville, so is in supply for movement/rally etc., but are they able to take reinforcements if they can't trace a supply line to 9VP cities? (reasoning for question is rule 10.2.7 "...To do so, the Army must be able to trace a supply line to a supply source located in friendly territory. However, the Union supply line may not be traced by sea, or through the Chesapeake Bay. The Union supply line may be traced by river. Thus, the Union player cannot simply occupy Savannah and begin taking reinforcements there.")

2. Would the depot at Danville qualify as a supply conduit for the two armies? I am thinking it doesn't as rule 9.3.4 : "...it may not be traced part of the way by rail and then in part overland."

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Mann
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll jump in on question 2 since no one has answered. You are correct that the Knoxville depot cannot be a supply conduit as depicted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RandallHolbrook wrote:
A couple CSA armies got stuck in this valley. USA AoC has the rail lines west of Chattanooga, the AoP controls rail lines on the east end by Lynchburg. The CSA has a depot at Knoxville, so is in supply for movement/rally etc., but are they able to take reinforcements if they can't trace a supply line to 9VP cities? (reasoning for question is rule 10.2.7 "...To do so, the Army must be able to trace a supply line to a supply source located in friendly territory. However, the Union supply line may not be traced by sea, or through the Chesapeake Bay. The Union supply line may be traced by river. Thus, the Union player cannot simply occupy Savannah and begin taking reinforcements there.")

2. Would the depot at Danville qualify as a supply conduit for the two armies? I am thinking it doesn't as rule 9.3.4 : "...it may not be traced part of the way by rail and then in part overland."

Thanks!

I don't have rules in front of me but from what I remember:
On question 2 I concur it can't be used as a conduit because of the rule you cited.
On question 1 depends has Tennessee been conquered by the union yet? - if so then it is "neutral" territory until completely recaptured and no Rebel reinforcement would work as depicted. However if you ar still hanging on to that small chunk and Tennessee is not conquered by the Union, then it is friendly territory and a supply source (though you have to use up the supply depot to attack etc.) so you could take reinforcements there. The reinforcement rule about using rail lines etc. is when you are in enemy territory. If you sit on a depot in you own territory of a unconquered state then you are in a friendly supplied hex and can draw reinforcements. Makes if rough on the Union as they invade but also a reason to take the time to "conquer" as state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Holbrook
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks! Yes, the CSA armies have been pushed east by Grant along the Tennessee River, Knoxville is the last unconquered city in Tennessee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Turansky
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The CSA has a depot at Knoxville

A depot at Knoxville is a supply source located in friendly territory, for the Confederates. Reinforcements can indeed be placed wherever depot supply can be traced to friendly territory. Note that there is no requirement that militia be placed in supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have used a militia placement out of supply several times in games to annoy my Union opponent (usually cutting off a flank move by a 2 point stack just to establish or cut a supply line).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RandallHolbrook wrote:
Thanks! Yes, the CSA armies have been pushed east by Grant along the Tennessee River, Knoxville is the last unconquered city in Tennessee.

Ouch how did they manage to get Chattanooga? I invariable end up defending that area (Chattanooga) from late 1863 onward (it's one of my fort locations often).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Holbrook
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1st time playing, solitaire, and I get maybe an hour or two a week. So I forget what i was doing, where i was going, etc. I never got a fortress in New Orleans, taken but i fortified and manned Island #10, which has fought off two amphibious assaults. I was wrong when I said Knoxville was the last holdout in Tennessee, Memphis is a fortress as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.