Richard Bing
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
a thousand words are better
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears that there are at least three different versions of this system: Eastern Front, SMG, SDD. Could anyone shed some light on the differences and relative strengths/weaknesses of the different game lines?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess best way to break it down is as such:

1. Eastern Front aka Sergeants!- This is the original hex and counter system. I would call this the precursor of Sergeants Miniature Game. The game is easy to get into and the components are of high quality. If you like the standard Hex and counter style then this is your game.
STRENGTH: Eastern Front battles in a man to man setting with a good selection of troops and vehicles
Weakness: Quite static. A basic hex and counter game

2. Sergeants D-Day- Although this game is third in the Sergeants incarnations, I put this one in second because it is a step up from Sergeants! both in cost and gameplay. The game is certainly bigger than Sergeants! requiring a larger surface. The game has basically the same mechanics as it's big brother Sergeants Miniature Game but for a cheaper entry level. Its man to man just like Sergeants! although not on the Eastern Front. This game covers the liberation of Europe. It is a card driven game and is a minis game using measurements for movement but not in a conventional way. All the modifiers for the game are printed on the tiles making the game flow without any chart checking. There are expansions that allow you to make this game as large as you want to handle battle wise. This was an infantry only game until a short time ago. A limited but good range of vehicles should be being shipped very very soon. The game is a step up in cost from Sergeants! but is well made and worth the price. The minis are cardboard but man are they nice!
Strentgh: Bringing Sergents! to life.
-A cross between hex and counter and minis game.
-Lower price point than SMG
-Card driven game in a fresh new way
Weakness: No Eastern front (as of yet)
-Higher price point than Sergents!
-System takes a bit to get use to

3. Sergeants Miniatures Game - The Flagship of the series in my mind. I can see how the development of Sergeants! Eastern Front would lead to this one. It is SEF brought to life so to say. It is a card driven game just like Seargents D-Day but it has full blown minis. They are beautiful and you do need a large table to play. There were bumps and bruises along the way with the rules but man, its a fun, brutal game. It has tons of expansions and can get expensive it you really want to get big battles on the table but that is not necessary to have fun. To get into this one I do suggest the base game, Road to Carentan and an extra squad for each side. After that, you can pick and choose. Vehicles are also about to enter the battle for this system just like SDD. Again, this is a Western front game.
Strength: -Limitless for creating battles beyond the system
-Beautiful minis that pop on the table
-card driven system that creates a story to a point
-Almost a minis game without a 100 page rule book
Weakness: -Mechanics are different then a board or mini game wich may be a turn off to some
-Initial price point to get started
-Cost if you want big battles
-No Eastern Front

To add a bit to the SDD and SMG systems, the card driven mechanic is very innovative and handles everything from moving to hit determination and wounds/kills. Each soldier is unique and I do mean unique. You may find someone with the same soldier name but a totally different dog tag number and different card stats. You can add 3D terrain to SMG and Tactics Modules that cover both SMG and SDD.

SDD and SMG have been a part of my collection since their inceptions and I see no reason for them leaving. I gave Sergents! to a friend because I never saw myself going back to it. I like the minis feel. It gets me attached to my troops and always wanting to keep them safe. I like building my squad using a point system and adding things like grenades to take into the scenario and the stats for each soldier are a bit more dynamic that the old counters of Sergeants!.

In the end, its all what you prefer, the hex and counter or a minis-looking game that plays a bit different than any board game.

I hope this helps a bit Richard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bowker
United States
Washington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Sergeants! VS Sergeants! VS Sergeants
In reality there are only two versions, Sergeants D-Day and Sergeants Miniatures Game.

The older Sergeants games, Sergeants on the Eastern Front, Sergeants in the Desert and the other various expansions for that system are no longer available. They were board games that came with cardboard counters to represent each man. There were several zip lock bag versions of Sergeants games and then Sergeants on the Eastern Front and Repple Depple, which were boxed remakes of the zip lock games. From what I heard the boxed games didn't sell very well.

When SMG was announced I thought it was a continuation of the boxed games but found out differently.

Both SDD and SMG play very similarly. Both are card driven, with individual unique soldiers.

The difference between the two are the scale. SDD is a larger scale played on a smaller map. In SDD a soldier will move one square. In SMG they may move 4 inches.

SDD used cardboard standees to represent the soldiers while SMG comes with pre-painted 20mm miniatures.

Basically both of the current versions are very similar. It just depends on the scale of the battles.

With SMG you aren't going to be playing a huge battle with tons of troops unless they are either falling over each other or it is a very large map.

With SDD you can do larger maps and battlesbecause they take up less room on the table. Most people would not have the area for the equivalent map in SMG.

As I said, the systems are The same. Create a squad of a certain number of points. The cards for each squad member form the deck of cards you use to play. The person running the game, will use the story deck, based on the scenario chosen to create the action for the game. The player uses their cards to match the actions on the story deck for the each turn.

Both systems have various tactics modules and support weapons available. SMG has extra X Terrain that offers 3D buildings and terrain features.

In the basic game terrain does not block line of sight or line of fire. All of the modifiers for these actions are incorporated into the terrain tile itself and are listed on the board. It takes a little getting used to but does work very well.

The people that seem to do the best with playing the game seem to be those that use real world tactics to win as opposed to gamey ones.

I actually own all the versions, including the out of print ones. My favorite is SMG. I like the minis and the look of the X Terrain. That being said SDD is easy to set up because it takes up less space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Monson
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I have both SMG and SDD so I can fill you in on those. There are a few differences between SMG and SDD.

SMG is more of a miniatures game. It uses pre-painted 20mm miniatures and movement is done in inches. Facing matters in SMG, meaning that the base for the miniatures has a firing arc. SMG also has 3d terrain expansions.

SDD takes the Sergeants game system and takes it to a more Board game scale. It uses standees instead of miniatures and the standees are a smaller 10mm scale. Movement is done entirely in squares instead of inches and facing is not important. SDD introduces a hidden movement mechanic which uses a token with the soldiers dog tag on the bottom and the national symbol on the top. SDD costs less given the smaller scale and doesn't take up as much space. You also get more in the starter box with SDD, more tiles and soldiers.

SMG currently has Germany Vs US(day of days) and Germany VS UK (red devils).

I would say if you are unsure about the game and don't care about the scale SDD would be a good way to get into the system, as you get a squad of soldiers and more scenarios in the starter. That being said right now SMG has more variety with the British line and the expandable terrain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Bing
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
a thousand words are better
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How playable is each version out of the box?

In terms of needing expansions, errata, new rules editions, whatever?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Monson
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both SMG and SDD are playable out of the out of the box. I would say with SDD you get more playability before needing expansions. It comes with more soldiers, more map tiles, the equivalent to Day do days and road to carentan, and more scenarios. That being said if you like the miniatures aspect SMG is perfectly playable out of the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With either system, you should get the most up to date rules. Errata is best discussed here in the forums. The folks here are friendly and will help (or have discussed) the more nebulous parts of the games.

SMG is playable out of the the box, but the system really starts to shine with the expansions. With SDD, you basically get the Road to Catentan expansion and a couple of soldier expansions that you'd have to purchase for SMG for the to be "equal". The minis style aspects are what drew us to SMG and with its level of detail, it has become our favorite WWII themed game.

Maus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maus wrote:
With either system, you should get the most up to date rules. Errata is best discussed here in the forums. The folks here are friendly and will help (or have discussed) the more nebulous parts of the games.

SMG is playable out of the the box, but the system really starts to shine with the expansions. With SDD, you basically get the Road to Catentan expansion and a couple of soldier expansions that you'd have to purchase for SMG for the to be "equal". The minis style aspects are what drew us to SMG and with its level of detail, it has become our favorite WWII themed game.

Maus

While a bit pricier, I like the SMG minis better. Vehicles are coming out soon and the general look on the board with minis is IMHO stunning. The card board standees with DDS just doesn't grab me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.