Langlade and 1st Troupes de la Marine in my Tableau
Québec Militia in my hand

1st Turn Historique Phase:
a) British Provincial Fortress Artillery/Siege Train
b) British Leader Forbes -> Champlain
c) French Action Voyageur Militia
d) World Event Map of North America

1st Turn British Phase:
1) Forbes advances 2 space and assaults Carillon-Ticonderoga Fortress. I decide to commit Langlade along with 1st Troupes de la Marine.
Initiative roll = 2 (Map of North America). Forbes has the initiative and with the help of the artillery inflict 1 hit.
Langlade retaliates with 3 dice and 3 misses. Thus France loses the battle.
2) Braddock advances on Alleghenies

1st Turn French Phase:
1 Action point available but no leader to conduct an assault on the Champlain track. I put Québec militia in the tableau

2nd Turn Historique Phase:

4 cards drawn but no impact on Champlain track

2nd Turn British Phase:
1) Forbes enters Montréal.
France is defeated before the 7-years war erupts.

Score: -67

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. These 2 and 3 turn defeats happen occasionally with bad card draws, but to borrow from Xcom culture: That's States of Seige baby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
Something similar happened to me on my very first play of the game. I was deeply frustrated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gouyon-Rety
Canada
Laval
QC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very similar things happened to me on my first three plays... I know the SoS series is brutal and very random, but I'm starting to think I have a problem with the basic assumption of the game which seems to be that the historical results (i.e. France holding pretty well till 1758) are statistical outliers and can only be reproduced with tons of luck...

In my 4th game, I had better draws and rolls for battle and managed to stabilize all tracks and push back with a stellar Dieskau (Fame) helped by Vaudreuil and Bougainville (6 Action points!) until... my very success in stopping the British advances led to only 1 British leader left, forcing the sacking of my two best leaders (Bougainville and Dieskau, who had taken some losses in the last victory), then the world came crashing down with Forbes, Wolfe and Amherst appearing all at once, a British blockade blocking the arrival of new French leaders, Pitt pushing everybody past my fortresses, and before I knew it, Amherst was in Montreal with the NY Militia and crushed hapless Vaudreuil... Very frustrating again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gouyon-Rety
Canada
Laval
QC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Btw, I really dislike the way Forbes is portrayed as a Rating 2: sure he was efficient, but that was by being methodical, certainly not by being fast. I feel he would be much better portrayed by being a 1 who would negate any Wilderness box effect, or something like that, than a 2 who can basically blitz to Montreal in no time especially if he comes out early in the game (also, why is he part of the gunmetal pack rather than the gold pack?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.