5,403 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
34% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » NSW (Sydney)

Subject: Gaming Couples around the City rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron W
Australia
flag msg tools
Hey BGG!

Finally joined the forum since my wife and I have become mad-keen board gamers. We run a meetup group for Couples Without Kids and are looking for 30-something couples (ideally without kids.. they get in the way of serious, spontaneous gaming lol) to play some regular board games with. Our normal members are more into the bars, barbecues and the like (which we love too) but we need some more 'gamey' friends too!

Like I said, we're new into the hobby but we're loving games like:

Forbidden Island
Takenoko
Carcassone
Splendor
Munchkin
Castle Panic
Exploding Kittens
Cards Against Humanity

Happy to learn new games.

Reply if you're interested. We're based in waterloo, so would love to meet some other city-people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron W
Australia
flag msg tools
Extra points for people who like to drink bottles of wine *WHILE* playing boardgames LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
NINE LITTLE LETTERS
badge
FECK! ARSE! DRINK! GIRLS!
mbmbmbmbmb
You may find some possible candidates here... https://www.facebook.com/groups/SydneyTabletopGames/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teena H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anomander64 wrote:
You may find some possible candidates here... https://www.facebook.com/groups/SydneyTabletopGames/

Hello, thats my group! (yay) - its best to RSVP on the meetup link, the Facebook group is for updates and news mostly: www.meetup.com/Sydney-Tabletop-Games/

We don't play games like Cards against humanity or exploding kittens (CAH is really a game that goes too much against the core of our Code of Conduct), and exploding kittens isn't really a game our group plays or that appeals to the players I like to cultivate in the group.
The group is full of people from ~20-40 in age, and is aimed at adults only. We also do not play loud social deduction games like Avalon or Werewolf, and my aim is to get new players into more medium weight strategy games rather than just social games - there are PLENTY of other groups that cater to the more social aspect of gaming, and it has a tendency to 'take over' a group in noise and getting players stuck on them all night.

The other games you list are spot on though, we have many Takenoko fans, and we love playing it, we've added a copy to the games library at The Games Den, and also included the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teena H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaronoz wrote:
Extra points for people who like to drink bottles of wine *WHILE* playing boardgames LOL

Might I suggest the Inner West Gamers? They meet in a pub in Balmain
https://boardgamegeek.com/guild/234
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Lee
Australia
Leichhardt
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glompbot wrote:
Might I suggest the Inner West Gamers? They meet in a pub in Balmain
https://boardgamegeek.com/guild/234

You're more than welcome to join us. The next meet up is this coming Tuesday, 26 July. Things usually kick off from 5:30pm in the Living Room, which isto the left of the front bar and up a few stairs.

Some of us even have kids AND we still get to play games and have a drink at the same time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glompbot wrote:
We don't play games like Cards against humanity or exploding kittens..., and exploding kittens isn't really a game our group plays or that appeals to the players I like to cultivate in the group. ... We also do not play loud social deduction games like Avalon or Werewolf, and my aim is to get new players into more medium weight strategy games rather than just social games - there are PLENTY of other groups that cater to the more social aspect of gaming, and it has a tendency to 'take over' a group in noise and getting players stuck on them all night.

Wow, your group sounds awesome!

Quote:
loud social deduction games

A recent signing to my group (which like yours is targetted at medium-heavy Euros) amusingly referred to these as "mafia-yelling-style" games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron W
Australia
flag msg tools
Exploding Kittens
Cards Against Humanity

They're the games our usual friends like to play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaronoz wrote:
Exploding Kittens
Cards Against Humanity

Fair enough. At least you know where to look if you ever want to play something meatier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bronnyls
msg tools
game_boy wrote:

Wow, your group sounds awesome!

I can vouch for this. Sydney Tabletop Games is great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teena H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaronoz wrote:
Exploding Kittens
Cards Against Humanity

We play a lot of games in those categories though;
Spyfall
Codenames
Coup

As examples, if you do come along I'm sure you'll find new games to love & introduce your friends too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.