Subject: Similarity to Robinson Crusoe rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bheat bheat
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So obviously this game has a lot of similarities to Robinson Crusoe, do we think there is room for both in a collection? RC is one of my favorite games, but it seems like First Martians might just replace it. Or maybe there are enough unique elements to keep both?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll never get rid of RC, so as long as this provides a slightly different experience, I'm in. It's like loving ice cream. There's always room for two different flavors in my freezer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My interest in this title is dependent on how deeply Ignacy leverages the app to surpass what could be done with cards.

If the app is merely a means to reduce production costs, and doesn't add more variety, interconnectivity between events, or raise the bar in any manner, I'll likely pass. However, if the app is leveraged to do more than what could have been done with cards, color me intrigued.

If this game is purely a thematic shift, but effectively the same level of experience, I'm ok with Robinson.

However, even if the app only offers the same number of events as Robinson at launch, and the same level of interconnection between events, the medium still holds the advantage due to patchability. Nevermind expansion, he could push single "card" updates as freebies, now and again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Besaw
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
So c-c-c-c-old!
mbmbmbmb
FM is a campaign style game. The app saves info from your previous plays leading into the next game. It also has the possibility of telling a story more spontaneously, meaning it could interrupt the game flow to reveal a challenge or a plot point. I would have been fine if FM was not app assisted however I look forward to trying to survive this hybrid.

Side note. The theme plus the RC mechanisms are an insta buy for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he has already said that he will use the app to do stuff that would be complicated without the app (would use several decks, require multiple dice rolls and table look ups, be very fiddly).

You can do more complicated stuff like probabilities that depend on earlier outcomes that are not yet known to the player etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm typically not a big co-op fan, but Robinson Crusoe always intrigued me, I came close to acquiring it several times until I heard about First Martian. The addition of the app sounds great to me, I always love the idea of a more intelligent system, and less fiddly, managing the game state rather than a random deck of cards. Playing against a deck of cards is one of my biggest issues with Co-ops, and solo games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The fact that Robinson Crusoe is one of the few games that I will actually play solo says a lot about it since I usually don't care for solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Watney
United Kingdom
Welwyn Garden City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the possibility of a solid solo survival experience is a big draw for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, RC is great solo, great with 2, great with 3 and enjoyable with 4. Yes, the rules can be a bit tricky, but with Universal Head's game aid and the searchable comprehensive FAQ at hand, that shortens the learning curve.

If First Martians can give the same experience with some slightly clearer rules, that's a definite buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Wilson
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, this game is definitely on my radar...

I watched that martian movie not too long ago then stubled on the rumblings of Martians: A Story of Civilization...THEN I noticed First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet while reading a forum post. You can now see them both on the hotness list...

I've never had the opportunity to play Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island, but have always wanted to check it out. So I'm excited to see how this project progresses and how the app adds to the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, with another Martians game in the works that is also solo playable yet a very different style game, Martians: A Story of Civilization has me more intrigued. As much as I like RC, considering not only limited funds but time to play so many games, the prospect of a very different game is more alluring.

So it's trying to decide between knowing you're going to get a high quality and enhanced product with established mechanics and gameplay re-themed on a very similar beloved game I already have versus taking a chance on a completely new and unknown game that can add a different game type to your game collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bheat bheat
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah thats true, I didn't think about the campaign play. I played through the Voyage of the Beagle which is a campaign as well, but it was kind of a pain keeping track of things between plays. Although the trouble with campaigns is that it is difficult to just play a random adventure, not sure if i've seen information on what the composition of scenarios is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.