6 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Help with campaign squad building rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John S
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm starting my first campaign (Return to Hoth) and I could use some pointers. Any help would be appreciated! I'm deciding between 4 of the 5 following characters:

Verena: a definite. Looking forward to using her "when an enemy is defeated adjacent to you, use their weapon" ability, and trying to design the rest of my squad around her signature ability. She will tank. Probably going to give her melee weapons?

Diala: full support. Force throw to trigger verena, with force adept for tests, and battle meditation for focusing attackers. Not sure what kind of items to outfit her with, or even if it is worthwhile to. With force adept she would go for strength and perception (the eye one) attribute tests if needed

Loku: looking forward to trying out a long range sniper, with overwatching him before getting him in position. I really want him to work but think maybe he might not be that helpful. Any ideas though? Possibly pairing with Mak for the crate interaction combo

Jyn: damage. Diala force pushes enemies next to verena, and Jyn eliminates them before they activate. Giving her gunslinger, cheap shot, and get cocky. Alternative build for mobility if I didn't bring diala or mak

Mak: mobile objective crashing. With expertise and mobility abilities would race around the map interacting and doing some shooting. Benefits from diala's force push enemies if he sticks near diala and verena

What do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
The one weak spot is that there is no-one with good strength attribute test, but it can be offset by Diala giving focus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Allenberg
msg tools
I haven't played RtH yet but my understanding is that the story missions are less rushed (someone correct me if that's wrong) so building around mobility/speed may not be necessary. Of course, side missions haven't changed in that respect.

Also Loku and Mak are both snipers so it's probably one of them that you should drop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: I'm usually the Imperials in my campaign groups, so most of my hero views are from the Imperial side, and how have they been able to defeat my troops...

For a "sniper" role, definitely Loku over Mak. Give Loku a good weapon, and he can be a devastating sniper to Imperials, and can spot Imperials to make it easier for Verena to take down with Close and Personal. Our Rebel group was lucky enough to get the Tier-3 DXR-6 on their very first store with T3 weapons, and had enough credits to buy it for Loku. While healthy, he had an automatic 8 accuracy with rolling 2 red dice. He was easily taking out E-Webs and Probe Droids with a single shot, and took out 2/3 of General Weiss' HP in a single 2-attack activation. Key to him is getting a good weapon, since his starting rifle is just OK, not great... meaning he'll be able to shine more once Tier2-3 range weapons start coming out.

Jyn usually makes a better "mobile" hero for reaching objectives than Mak, since she has a few different abilities that grant extra free movement. Other than being that sneaky/mobile objective-driven hero, I have never really been that impressed with her. However, she probably would fit well with this specific group, and has the tech test lacking in the rest, and not sure if any of the other 3-dice tech heroes would be a better fit in this group, though if what people are saying about RtH being less rushed for the Rebels, then may be able to use Mak instead of Jyn in the "tech" spot.

Verena is an interesting hero... she's best with Melee, but doesn't have the 3-dice Strength test that the other melee heroes have... though she does roll 2-dice stat tests for all 3, making her actually good for missions where you don't know what test until you interact with an object. There is one easy Imperial counter to her, to use open groups with less figures with more HP, so she has less opportunities for CaP, or just keep moving Imperials out of reach from her. Her abilities are still a better version of Biv, with the strength stat being the only downside. My last campaign group had both Gaarkhan and Verena, so they had the Wookiee for the strength tests, but then both of them were fighting over melee weapons in the shop, and Garkhaan never replaced his starting weapon until the final shop before the core campaign finale.

I think this is the reason I like SWIA better than Descent, because instead of sticking to the typical RPGish Warrior/Scout/Healer/Mage archetypes, and typically going with one of each... the SWIA heroes all can bleed into multiple roles depending on what abilities you purchase for them and what other heroes you pair them with. There are endless combinations of Rebel Heroes to try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Uninvited Guest wrote:
I haven't played RtH yet but my understanding is that the story missions are less rushed (someone correct me if that's wrong) so building around mobility/speed may not be necessary. Of course, side missions haven't changed in that respect.

Also Loku and Mak are both snipers so it's probably one of them that you should drop.

I didn't know that about the Hoth levels! People have been saying "speed is the only thing that matters" sorta thing so I took it to heart. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bohde8781 wrote:

For a "sniper" role, definitely Loku over Mak. Give Loku a good weapon, and he can be a devastating sniper to Imperials, and can spot Imperials to make it easier for Verena to take down with Close and Personal.

Huh I was not expecting that response! Cool! Did they upgrade the recon-token efficiency, or the attacks themselves?

Jyn usually makes a better "mobile" hero for reaching objectives than Mak, since she has a few different abilities that grant extra free movement.
Quote:
Other than being that sneaky/mobile objective-driven hero, I have never really been that impressed with her.

Interesting. I've heard a lot of love for her. The combos between heroes really do make the difference then!

Quote:
Verena is an interesting hero... she's best with Melee, but doesn't have the 3-dice Strength test that the other melee heroes have... though she does roll 2-dice stat tests for all 3, making her actually good for missions where you don't know what test until you interact with an object.

I hadn't thought of that. Hoping, as a1bert mentioned, that Diala will fill the roll for dedicated strength tests.

Quote:
Garkhaan never replaced his starting weapon until the final shop before the core campaign finale.

wow bet you liked that though! devil

Quote:
I think this is the reason I like SWIA better than Descent, because instead of sticking to the typical RPGish Warrior/Scout/Healer/Mage archetypes, and typically going with one of each... the SWIA heroes all can bleed into multiple roles depending on what abilities you purchase for them and what other heroes you pair them with. There are endless combinations of Rebel Heroes to try!

I like it too! Makes it awfully hard to think through min/maxing though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.