Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So this game came out in 2010 and I have put off buying it for a number of years hoping that it might get a graphic design update in a second edition or such. I know there have been a number of threads in which others have expressed this sentiment as well but from what I have seen, most of the talk about a redesign has just been rumors and speculation. Nothing official.

As much as I'd love to see the board redone to something more along the lines of the new Runebound 3rd Edition board and would prefer waiting if that was in the works. I feel like at this point in time if a revised edition were to happen it most likely already would have so I am compelled to go ahead and finally buy a copy.

Since I haven't kept up with everything going on around this game, is there any thing important I should be aware of? I know there was some sort of kickstarter (expansion?) a year or so ago. Are there any other kickstarters coming up that would be a good jumping on point? Did the previous kickstarter or expansions that have come out change up the rules or are must haves or is the base game pretty much all that is needed to get started?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ace hawkster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, base games all you really need, the rest is just candy, I'm saving for the minion expansions currently as would love to get them to complete the collection. Would really like to get the second edition of the dragon expansion but there's a lot of talk of misprint Tec so not too sure if that's been resolved with any of the ones that are available from resellers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trakes wrote:
So this game came out in 2010 and I have put off buying it for a number of years hoping that it might get a graphic design update in a second edition or such. I know there have been a number of threads in which others have expressed this sentiment as well but from what I have seen, most of the talk about a redesign has just been rumors and speculation. Nothing official.

As much as I'd love to see the board redone to something more along the lines of the new Runebound 3rd Edition board and would prefer waiting if that was in the works. I feel like at this point in time if a revised edition were to happen it most likely already would have so I am compelled to go ahead and finally buy a copy.

Since I haven't kept up with everything going on around this game, is there any thing important I should be aware of? I know there was some sort of kickstarter (expansion?) a year or so ago. Are there any other kickstarters coming up that would be a good jumping on point? Did the previous kickstarter or expansions that have come out change up the rules or are must haves or is the base game pretty much all that is needed to get started?

Thanks!

EGG ran two Kickstarter projects in the last couple of years - the Minions Expansions (alternative sculpt for all the enemies and generals), and the Dragon Expansion. Neither are really essential to play the game, and you are actually better off just playing the base game for now, and *then* decide if you want to invest more in the game. And in terms of priority of expansions, you are better off getting the Hero expansions to increase the variety in play. More bang for the buck.

As for whether a Second Edition is forthcoming, the answer is "probably yes." The graphic design for both Minions and Dragon reflect an updated graphic design (but actually clash a bit with the First Edition), but EGG has not announced a Second Edition is actually happening yet, AFAIK. So if you are seriously interested in buying the game, you might as well buy it now, rather than wait for some indeterminate period of time for EGG to get around to announcing something for 2017 or beyond.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy now is my honest opinion. The board and the art are great! I love the nostalgic throwback to older fantasy and Elmore is an incredible artist.

The base game is great. You have a good amount of heros and the 4 generals are fantasic!

The one thing that I would highly recommend is the Quest deck. The quest deck that comes with the base game are these little cards that have some very basic quests that give you mostly basic bonuses (like kill one of each creature type and get 2 Hero Cards). There are some of the good ones in there, but not a lot of them.

The Quest deck is a regular sized deck with some really great quests that offer (IMO) a great deal of variety to the game. Some of the quests are still the basic ones, but some offer really cool side quests. Some of them are 'do this or suffer a penalty for not doing it' kind of quests that I also really like.

The main goal of the game is to kill the 4 generals making their ravaging paths toward the lone trembling Monarch City. The powerful adventurers are the only thing that can possibly stop them. Quests are a wonderful tool in this because they don't 'help' you accomplish this mission. In fact, if all players just focused on doing these quests, you would lose the game. But that is where the beauty lies: Do you work on the side to accomplish this quest for the benefit? Or do you press on with defending the realm? One that is in both the base game and the deck is getting a Unicorn Steed. If you do this quest, you'll always be able to move around like you are horseback and have some other advantages. Do you do it? Will evil thrive while you are not working on eradicating it?

After that, get the Hero packs. They just add more characters to your roster that you can be. I mainly play this game solo and with 4 other characters. I like to randomly pick 4 and try to make them work.

I like ALL the other expansions, but you can decide on those later. But just a wonderful game that took me a couple plays before I really discovered how much I loved it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a change of scenery, there is Defenders of the Last Stand.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy, I love this game - just the base set. It's so much fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Munoz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the biggest concern I would have about buying Defenders of the Realm now (as good as it is), is that there are rumblings of a Second Edition coming (see here). This is a very strong concern for me, of course, given my significant investment on the "First Edition". If this Second Edition is not backwards compatible, purchasing now might not be future-proof. I would wait until this is resolved or at least until things are more clear.

Some would say that you can get a year of fun buying now, and whether this is worth it or not is up to you. I would not go "all in" right now, though, getting all the expansions and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Beckler
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll cast another vote for getting the base game sooner than later, and once you've played that a bit, decide which expansions you may want. In my opinion, I think the Hero Expansions and Quest Deck are very worthwhile for the price.

Personally, I enjoy the art used by the current edition - I can understand some of the problems people have with some of the art & design elements, but it was never enough to deter me from enjoying this terrific game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
For a change of scenery, there is Defenders of the Last Stand.

Jorune

If the board and graphic design are your main concerns, I second Jorune's suggestion to check out Defenders of the Last Stand. The board looks amazing (one of the best and most thematic boards I've ever seen). However, if having a high fantasy theme is also important to you, then go with Defenders of the Realm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
The suggestions here are all sound regarding Defenders of the Realm. The base game can be picked up at a reasonable price now - first hand, second hand, or in BGG trade - and provides a *lot* of game play.

Jorune's suggestion of Defenders of the Last Stand is an excellent idea if you have big concerns about 2nd edition obsolescence for Defenders of the Realm. The core gameplay is very similar.

If you want a clean break between 2010/2011 components and the recent Kickstarters, this setup works well:

Base Game
Hero Expansions 1, 2, & 3 (has the old hero card graphic design)
Barbarian Expansion (has the old hero card graphic design)
Quests of the Realm Deck (the new large quest cards are really nice)

Eagle/Gryphon's actions indicate that they are aware of the amount of rage that would be generated if they obsoleted components, so at this point, I think they're trying to target 1st edition upgraders if there's ever a 2nd edition.

As a 2010/2011 purchaser from way back in the day, I wouldn't be offended if a 2nd edition provided a clean break (it's been 6 years for me); but I totally understand why recent Kickstarter backers would be outraged being sold 1st edition stuff at Max $$$$ only to have it obsoleted so soon. It would leave the impression among fans - whether this was intentional or not - that a redesign was being done piece meal with an eye towards selling through old inventory before making a new edition. Does this make the perception true? I don't know. Business conditions and the people working at companies change all the time, and sometimes new management looks at the same data a different way and arrive at different conclusions. Look at all the movie and television projects that get greenlit or cancelled all because the head of the studio changes or how some things get talked about for years before they get made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have problems with the graphic design of the original Defenders of the realm and you are fine with the Mad Max setting I would suggest to pick Defenders of the last stand.

BUT: It is more expensive than Defenders of the realm but maybe, because of the more thematical approach, Defenders of the last stand would fire Defenders of the realm for you anyway.

Tough decision. I have not playtested Defenders of the last stand enough to finally say that I would get rid of Defenders of the realm.

Defenders of the realm seems to be more punishing after playing the first scenario of Defenders of the last stand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of the replies and advice everyone. I really appreciate it. Though I enjoy both themes (Realms/Last Stand) and really like the graphic design of Last Stand a lot more, I've decided to go ahead and add Defenders of the Realm to my order. I'll have a much better chance getting the family to give Realms a try vs Last Stand and I can get a new copy at CoolStuff for $55 which seems like a good price compared to what it sales for at some places.

It looks to me like many people really enjoy this game and rather than fading away like many games, it's just gotten more and more support and expansions over the years so I'm fairly certain I am going to like it and get my money's worth of enjoyment out of it. If I do like it as much as I think I will then maybe it will not be that difficult to spend the money on what I would most likely consider an improved version of a game I really like. Again thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It looks to me like many people really enjoy this game and rather than fading away like many games, it's just gotten more and more support and expansions over the years so I'm fairly certain I am going to like it and get my money's worth of enjoyment out of it. If I do like it as much as I think I will then maybe it will not be that difficult to spend the money on what I would most likely consider an improved version of a game I really like. Again thanks!

This is an excellent attitude toward new editions that I wish more people shared. Welcome aboard and good hunting defending the realm!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh one other thing I wanted to ask about. I'm well aware of the character expansions and have seen them for sale many places but I had never heard about the "quest deck" before I created this thread. Looking around at the usual online vendors I didn't see any type of listing for a "quest deck". Is that something that's only available from EGG or has it gone out of print or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trakes wrote:
Oh one other thing I wanted to ask about. I'm well aware of the character expansions and have seen them for sale many places but I had never heard about the "quest deck" before I created this thread. Looking around at the usual online vendors I didn't see any type of listing for a "quest deck". Is that something that's only available from EGG or has it gone out of print or something?

You can definitely get it from EGG (if it happens to be OOP, that's likely just a temporary situation.). I don't know if anyone else carries it, but EGG definitely does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
trakes wrote:

Here is it on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Defenders-Realm-Quests-Deck/dp/B00UZL...

this Amazon listing is sold by EGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mike and Ray for the info. If I enjoy the game enough, I think I'll pickup the first character expansion and the quest deck together as the first add-on I will get.

The only issue now is that my order included a pre-order so I'm going to have to wait a month or so before I get it and can give it a try guess I should use that time to learn the rules and go over any errata. Again thanks for all of the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.