United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw Donald Trump Jr.'s interview on CNN about Ted Cruz's refusal to endorse his father, and I was surprised at this part of the exchange:

Quote:
Interviewer: "Do you even want the endorsement at this point?"

Don Trump Jr.: "I don't care. We don't need it. We got it de facto from the people that matter. Those are the voters, the people that my father has been speaking to directly: the hard-working people in this country who've been left in the dust, the only group that doesn't fit some sort of box to get special privileges. The people who built this country. Those are the people my father is talking to."

Who is he talking about when he refers to "the people who don't fit some sort of box"? What "special privileges"? This is identity politics, but of a very different kind, one explicitly directed against minorities and towards the largely white, Christian, red state voters historically tied to the party.

To me, it resonated with Tim Miller's prediction about the future of the Republican party in which he worried about "a party that’s driven by white grievances and by white — not racial politics, but a set of white identity politics.”

Is this the fate of the Republican Party? One that, rather than embracing the diverse, multicultural America we are doubtless becoming, insists on doubling down to preserve a white-only America that never even existed to begin with? Will the latent racism that plagues a part of their constituency only become more blatant as time goes on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
I just saw Donald Trump Jr.'s interview on CNN about Ted Cruz's refusal to endorse his father, and I was surprised at this part of the exchange:

Quote:

Don Trump Jr.: "I don't care. We don't need it. We got it de facto from the people that matter. Those are the voters, the people that my father has been speaking to directly: the hard-working people in this country who've been left in the dust, the only group that doesn't fit some sort of box to get special privileges. The people who built this country. Those are the people my father is talking to."

Who is he talking about when he refers to "the people who don't fit some sort of box"? What "special privileges"? This is identity politics, but of a very different kind, one explicitly directed against minorities and towards the largely white, Christian, red state voters historically tied to the party.

To me, it resonated with Tim Miller's prediction about the future of the Republican party in which he worried about "a party that’s driven by white grievances and by white — not racial politics, but a set of white identity politics.”

Is this the fate of the Republican Party? One that, rather than embracing the diverse, multicultural America we are doubtless becoming, insists on doubling down to preserve a white-only America that never even existed to begin with? Will the latent racism that plagues a part of their constituency only become more blatant as time goes on?
Given King's comments as well, yes I think it is.

It is (as some of our Conartists here have said) it is about a white "minority" that think s it has been marginalized and ignored in the rush to help the disadvantaged of colour. It is "Our" (the lefts) fault that they are not multimillionaires who own their own businesses because we only care about lGTG'ers, blacks, illegal immigrants, gays or whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:

Noted, blacks and minorities to you do not work hard ,Good to know !

BWHAHAHAH I fucking love it when you progressive nutters display some of your hidden racism accidentally.

I just fucking love that, thanks for the chuckles , nutter !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
It could be taken as racist, but it could also be taken as classism. No matter how far left you are, you would have to concede that the middle class in the US (and frankly, the rest of the world) has taken a severe beating in the 21st Century. And in America, the middle class has long been part of a mythos that the great middle class has been the engine that drove America to prosperity and greatness. So it could be who he was talking about. Also, the middle class cuts across racial, ethnic and religious lines, so it's an easy thing to raise them up for what ever reason.

Not sure which son is being quoted, but if it's the one who spoke at Tuesday's session I would be surprised. He impressed me as intelligent and knowledgeable. I didn't agree with his views very much, but I did think the wrong Trump family member got the nomination. Impressive guy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I mean, he's right. Dead brits and colonials have been -literally- left in the dust by society.

Dead, but not forgotten! Undead rights!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
cbazler wrote:
"The people who built this country. Those are the people my father is talking to."
Remind me what these rednecks "built" again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
fightcitymayor wrote:
cbazler wrote:
"The people who built this country. Those are the people my father is talking to."

That is total bullshit.

I'm redneck-ish and that photo is insulting. I mean, how in the hell does the woman on the right still have that many teeth? Where are the 8-10 toddlers running around with shit-packed diapers, or buck nekkid? Where's the meth lab?

Total bullshit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Republican party is becoming the party of class warfare in the good oldschool sense. It's been a long standing political tradition, before parties even, for the rich to pit the lower class masses against each other in order to retain power, and it works. Every wave of immigrants became the new 'enemy' Irish, Italian, Chinese, Africans (with emancipation) because the poor fight over the scraps and it's easy to blame the other guy fighting for scraps and not the dude up top supping at the table.

The Republicans are focusing on those who have swallowed that line completely. Democrats have plenty of rich folks using the system too, but they have evolved to a different sort of manipulation, potentially less destructive though time will out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate when larties become destrictive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
okiedokie wrote:

Larty on Dwayne!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hyper Bolus
msg tools
fightcitymayor wrote:

As long as we are posting racist memes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me nah play no 'ide and seek
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
cbazler wrote:

Noted, blacks and minorities to you do not work hard ,Good to know !

BWHAHAHAH I fucking love it when you progressive nutters display some of your hidden racism accidentally.

I just fucking love that, thanks for the chuckles , nutter !

If you can't see that Mr. Trump Jr. is using code words to say "white", then I don't think I can help you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
fightcitymayor wrote:
cbazler wrote:

This ain't racist.

This is funny!

And, on a serious vein, yeah, these are exactly the kind of people who colonized the west, built the railroads, mined the coal, grew the wheat, and raised the cattle. Scary, ain't it? All you effete "intellectual" snobs looking down on us out in the flyover states, and without us, y'all would be huddled in grass sheds chewing on roach legs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
okiedokie wrote:

Larty on Dwayne!

Larty on, Garth!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me nah play no 'ide and seek
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
cbazler wrote:

This ain't racist.

This is funny!

And, on a serious vein, yeah, these are exactly the kind of people who colonized the west, built the railroads, mined the coal, grew the wheat, and raised the cattle. Scary, ain't it? All you effete "intellectual" snobs looking down on us out in the flyover states, and without us, y'all would be huddled in grass sheds chewing on roach legs.

No, I'm pretty sure those are the people that came to the New World seeking land and fortune, found that all the good land in the East was already taken, and settled down in West Virginia. Out here in Nebraska, we're the sort of people that colonized the West.

Still, your point about effete coastal intellectuals stands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hyperbolus wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:

Tell me more, I have time.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
All you effete "intellectual" snobs looking down on us out in the flyover states, and without us, y'all would be huddled in grass sheds chewing on roach legs.

1. Hey, I mowed the shed last week. It's where I keep my collection of victims experiments food stock for winter.
2. Out here we call it a LOBSTAH ROLL, thank you very much.

Jesus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toku42 wrote:

If you can't see that Mr. Trump Jr. is using code words to say "white", then I don't think I can help you.

And, no matter what anyone affiliated with Trump says, your confirmation bias will hear, "I'm a racist!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
toku42 wrote:
Still, your point about effete coastal intellectuals stands.

Pretty well goes without saying, doesn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
hyperbolus wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:

Excuse me. Jews ain't traditionally white folks and our culture is Middle Eastern, not Western. We had a good bit to do with quite a lot of those things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
bbenston wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
All you effete "intellectual" snobs looking down on us out in the flyover states, and without us, y'all would be huddled in grass sheds chewing on roach legs.

1. Hey, I mowed the shed last week. It's where I keep my collection of victims experiments food stock for winter.
2. Out here we call it a LOBSTAH ROLL, thank you very much.

Jesus.

laughlaughlaugh

Half my family's from Massachusetts (can't get any more Yankee than that). We have a lot of laughs trading insults!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hyper Bolus
msg tools
Shadrach wrote:

Tell me more, I have time.

Posted by a white guy and thumbed by white guys, because white guilt. White bashing of course is perfectly fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Yeah, we white folk have real bbaaaadddddd............
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hyper Bolus
msg tools
whac3 wrote:

Excuse me. Jews ain't traditionally white folks and our culture is Middle Eastern, not Western. We had a good bit to do with quite a lot of those things.

Shhh, the Jews are being pulled in for this one. When there is blame to be doled out they will be notified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area / Currently I sponsor gaming groups in Monroe & Alexandria, LA.
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

cbazler wrote:

Quote:

Is this the fate of the Republican Party? One that, rather than embracing the diverse, multicultural America we are doubtless becoming, insists on doubling down to preserve a whites-only America that never even existed to begin with? Will the latent racism that plagues a part of their constituency only become more blatant as time goes on?

Yes indeed, and how!

> Excerpts from the July 19, 2016 Right Wing Watch news story by Brian Tashman entitled:

David Duke Inspired By Trump To Consider Run For Congress To Stop "Ethnic Cleansing" Of White People

On Saturday, white nationalist leader and Donald Trump booster David Duke promoted his potential run for Congress on “The Political Cesspool,” the “pro-White” radio program that once hosted Donald Trump Jr.

Duke said that if he decides to run for Congress in Louisiana, it will be to warn people that “European-Americans” are “headed toward an ethnic cleansing, and that’s the only way to put it, in the nation that our forefathers created” and to combat policies that are “destroying our people.”

He repeated his belief that Trump, who has notoriously shared the Twitter messages of white supremacists, including one with the handle @WhiteGenocideTM, has given white nationalists an opportunity to go “on the offensive.”

[q="David Duke"]I love what Trump’s doing. I think that Trump is a breath of fresh air. I don’t know exactly what he’s going to do when he’s in but I think it’s great what he’s doing. But I tell you something, we have got to continue to take this another step, we have got to continue to go on the offensive in this battle. As far as I’m concerned, I’m going to vote for Trump, I said I supported Trump, I’ve been aligned with Trump from very early in this campaign, as you have, but there’s no question in my mind that we need at least one guy in the United States Congress, whether in the House of Representatives or the Senate, at least one guy that will openly stand up for the rights and the heritage of European-Americans and I believe that the time is right.

Duke went on to say that he is proud of his past leadership role in the Ku Klux Klan: “I’m not ashamed of that. I was in a non-violent Klan organization. I always promoted nonviolence. I took a different path later on but I’m not ashamed of the fact that I stood up because at that time, as a young man, I realized that we were headed towards disaster.”

So, yes, indeed, it's ....

"Springtime for the Tea Party's GOP"
[Sung to the tune of the song "Springtime for Hitler" from Mel Brooks' 1968 classic movie comedy "The Producers"]

Republicans in Washington tell the same sad story_,
need a brand new order to restore their former glory_;
Who, oh, who would they_
choose to save the day_ ?

They looked around_
and then they found_
the folks to lead their way_ .

And_ now_ it's__ springtime_ for the Tea Par_-ty's GOP__ !
Racists_ are welcome_ to stay__ !
They're join-ing at a fast-er pace_;
Look out_, here comes_ the_ Master Race_!

Springtime_ for the Tea Par_-ty's GOP_ ;
Winter_ for Lincoln_ and Watts*__ ;
Springtime_ for the Tea Par-ty's GOP__ ;
Come on, Birthers_, show us what_ you've got_!

Tea Partier #1: "I was born Republican and that is why my name ain't Juan!"

Tea Partier #2: "Don't be stupid; be a smarty: Come and join the white folks party!"

Springtime_ for the Tea Par_-ty's GOP_!
Goosestep's_ Trump's new step_ today_;
Race-baiting's helped_ a-chieve his wins_;
Fascism's on_ the rise_ again_!

Springtime_ for the Tea Par_-ty's GOP:
Klansmen_ are marching_ once more__;
Springtime_ for the Tea Par_-ty's G_O_ P__
means_ that_
soon_ they'll be starting_ ---
They're bound to be starting_ ---

You know they'll_ be start-ing race wars___ !

"Well, the Democrats didn't elect David Duke to office and the Republicans didn't elect him to office, either. And the people of Louisiana spoke through their votes like I felt that they would. There shouldn't be room in either party for blatant racists. And I don't apologize for saying that. There are many Republicans, especially the ones I hang out with, who share my feelings as well." -- Former Oklahoma Republican U.S. Representative J.C. Watts on the August 4, 1999 edition of CNN's Crossfire disingenuously trying to gloss over the fact that David Duke had indeed been elected to office as a Louisiana State Representative in 1989 as a Republican. (In 1999, Duke was celebrating his 10th year in the Republican Party after having been elected chairman of the St. Tammany Parish GOP Executive Committee two years earlier in 1997. St. Tammany Parish was then and still is the most predominantly white and most affluent parish in Louisiana.)

Denouncing his son's affiliation with the GOP, J.C. Watt's dad is famous for once saying: "Asking a black man to vote for the Republican Party makes as much sense as asking a chicken to vote for Colonel Sanders."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.