5 Posts

The Resistance: Avalon» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First excalibur made the day for the bad guys rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Axel Rogue
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: I'm not a native speaker, please be nice with me if you see mistakes

At work, we use to play card games at lunch, but as all of them are 4-5 players, it doesn't work well when there are 7 or 8 people wanting to play. So i introduced the group to Avalon, and they really liked it. Now most of the people are experienced with the game.

For the fisrt time, we ended up being 9 to play today. I'm kind of the Game Master and the one deciding which character goes in. As I suspected the 6-3 repartition favors the good guys, I decided to help the evil guys a bit: No Percival/Morgana, and Mordred. But it didn't feel enough, so I decided to try the Excalibur variant. We had never played with it, and I had to check on the internet I remembered the rules corectly.

Table order is:
Mercedes [Merlin] First player
Arnaud [Evil]
Christian
Yvan [Evil]
Myself [Mordred]
Olivier
Ophélie
Julie
Blandine

M1: A lot of no-votes and it makes it to the hammer, that is to say, me. I refused the fourth team proposed by Yvan (fellow evil), because a good guy that can have the hammer will laways try to get it, and right now, I really want to look like I'm good. So I send a team, seemlingly random, composed of me and the next two players. Full success of course. I gave Excalibur to Ophélie, and she didn't use it.

M2: Olivier propose a team with him, me, Blandine and Christian, and to my surprise, it is accepted. One of my teammate more or less outed himself by a serie of strange votes. This casts a shadow of doubt upon the team, and Blandine, who has Excalibur, says she will use it. She understands too late she should have waited for our votes to be decided. And it also disapoints me, because I would have thrown a success in anyway, and a surprise Excalibur would have been really good for me. Anyway, she changes Christian vote, and it's a fail. I try to make her look suspicious, but she's one of the best in the group at defending herself, and I don't really succeed.

A this point, I begin to have a strong feeling Mercedes is Merlin, because she really helped outing my teammate, and doesn't trust the other one.

M3: Blandine sends a team composed of herself, Julie, Olivier and me. This time I throw the fail. Julie has the sword, but with the bad experience of M2, she doesn't want to risk it. 2-1 for the bad guys, we still stand a chance.

M4: We are at third proposition, by Christian. The last two guys to choose are evil, so if this rejected, it's a guaranteed win. He selects a good, with only me as evil. And then... team is accepted 5-4. And... I can't belive it, Arnaud (the outed teammate) approved it ! I make a mental note to strangle him after the game. Excalibut goes to Olivier. There's a long debate (after votes are decided) on whether he should use it or not. He argues there logically should only be 0 or 2 fails, so there is no risk in using it. I try to convince him to not sword, saying maybe evil has anticipated this thinking. He finally does it, and the quest pass.

M5: It's a tough time. With one teamate outed (Arnaud) and the other looking really suspicious (Yvan), it's up to me to save the day. I propose a team with Me and Merlin, as well as Olivier, who was proved goood in M4, and two other guys looking nice. I'm surprised it doesn't get the support I expected, and it's rejected. Olivier then makes an all good team, eliminating my two teammates, and saying he has a doubt between me and Mercedes (Merlin). Of course, he's right, but I'm feeling the defeat coming, and I don't like it. Votes are cast, and the team is approved 7-2 (or maybe 6-3 with two off-team supports, I don't recall exactly). WTF ?
And then I understand. THIS IS BRILLIANT !
Arnaud, which has been (in my opinion) playing pretty poorly since the begining accepted this all-Good team. The moment I understand, I regret not having done so myself. Because, now, this team looks suspicious, as at least one off-team evil guy supported it. Christian is having a hard time deciding wether to sword or not. I try to subtly encourage him, but I'm mostly watching Good loose the game all by themselves.
When he asks my opinion, I say that well, after all, Blandine is more or less responsible for the two previous fails (One with Excalibur, one for picking the wrong team), and if he's REALLY SURE there's a bad guy, she would be my guess. Two good guys strongly advise him not to do it, but he goes for the majority and turns Blandine's success into a fail.

This is an explosion of joy amongst the bad guys !

Conclusion:
-9 players dynamic is really different from 5-8, because Good has majority+1 and does not have to be perfectly sure about who the bad guys are. This can make it really tough for Evil, like it did today in M5: I looked pretty Good, but just in case, they could afford to not send me on a quest.
-Excalibur is extremly powerful. Today, it clearly won the game for Evil. If you think about it, only one true fail was thrown in !
-That move ! Accepting the all-Good team to make it look suspicious and induce an use of Excalibur. Whoa !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excalibur is super fun and we always play with it, but really, using it is extremely dangerous for the good side. The potential downside is much greater than the potential upside. Sure playing Excalibur on an evil player who played a fail is awesome, but I have seen dozens and dozens of games lost by good because of Excalibur.

The most standard way to lose the game due to bad Excalibur use is this:

Say round 1 is passed.

In round 2 at least one evil player is on the team, but plays a succes. Excalibur is used on the evil player, not only turning his succes into a fail but also "clearing" him of suspicion. Of course this is nonsense: he isn't anymore cleared than all of the others on the team, but there's psychology at work here.

In round 3 the same team is approved - because they all just played successes - and this time the evil player fails it.

So now it is 2-1 to evil side and not a single evil player is exposed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueSwan wrote:
In round 2 at least one evil player is on the team, but plays a succes. Excalibur is used on the evil player, not only turning his success into a fail but also "clearing" him of suspicion.

I would strongly suspect anyone who used Excalibur round 2 under those circumstances of being evil, and at the point where round 3 has failed I'd assume that was the most likely explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
BlueSwan wrote:
In round 2 at least one evil player is on the team, but plays a succes. Excalibur is used on the evil player, not only turning his success into a fail but also "clearing" him of suspicion.

I would strongly suspect anyone who used Excalibur round 2 under those circumstances of being evil, and at the point where round 3 has failed I'd assume that was the most likely explanation.

Exactly, which makes it even worse for the good guys. Remember, in this instance, it was infact a good guy who played excalibur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueSwan wrote:
Exactly, which makes it even worse for the good guys. Remember, in this instance, it was infact a good guy who played excalibur.

Ah, yes. In which case it's almost certainly game over, with the person who used Excalibur responsible for the loss. There are many ways for a single player to lose the game, as long as players learn from their mistakes that's fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.