Subject: Special Missions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Have completed 6 patrols and have not encountered a SM..is this normal or am I doing something wrong? I had played the game "boot camp" style before feeling confident enough to launch my first patrol...again,not one SM,
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lemieux
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had one full game, about 12 missions, without a single SM, I had another 11 mission game where I had 7 SM.

It really comes down to the luck of the roll I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Monnat Jr
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
In my game with 8 patrols, I had 0 SMs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Four full games under my belt so far ... zero special missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the replies..just wanted to insure I was playing correctly..
The roll of the dice again,huh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Webster
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Tech & BoardGaming Nerd
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it pretty much is all about the dice. Some back-of-the-napkin math gives the following:

Australia Pearl Harbor
Date Chc of SM Chc of SM
1941 33.3% 0.%
1h 1942 8.3% 0.%
2h 1942 13.9% 19.4%
1h 1942 8.3% 8.3%
2h 1943 30.6% 30.6%
1h 1944 22.2% 11.1%
2h 1944 27.8% 27.8%
1945 41.7% 41.7%

So for any patrol prior to 1945, you have at best a 1/3 chance of rolling a special mission on each assignment, and usually a fair bit less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Canning
msg tools
mb
"So for any patrol prior to 1945, you have at best a 1/3 chance of rolling a special mission on each assignment, and usually a fair bit less." Of course, if you take one of the special V boats (e.g., Nautilus) you have a 100% chance of a special mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Webster
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Tech & BoardGaming Nerd
mbmbmbmbmb
Mavs Fan wrote:
"So for any patrol prior to 1945, you have at best a 1/3 chance of rolling a special mission on each assignment, and usually a fair bit less." Of course, if you take one of the special V boats (e.g., Nautilus) you have a 100% chance of a special mission.

True, but still a 0% chance of rolling a special mission (the transport mission is automatically added)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Morgan
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I just picked this up and on my first play through raised a question associated to this.

Am I correct that if you get to a patrol box with a "M", you only treat it as a special mission if one of the mission suffixes was noted with the patrol area when you first rolled for that year/month? Otherwise, you treat it as a normal encounter box?

I guess this makes sense because that is the only way you would know in advance that you had to carry mines and less torpedoes, for instance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Morgan
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools

Thanks Frank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.