A Study in Emerald» Forums » Variants

Subject: Fully historical version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julian A
Poland
flag msg tools
The topic refers to the first edition.

Reading the rules we get to know, that the game's author was inspired by a book about 19th century anarchists, but thought, that the idea of "running around and blowng up royalties" may be unsavoury for some, so we got the Cthulic setting (which is absolutely great, don't get me wrong). But we are in the internet now and slaughtering high-born turned out to be quite a popular pastime (Guillotine) so I thought a fully-historical rendition of A Study in Emerald may find its followers.

The idea is to simply replace cards based on fictional creations with historical "counterparts" - people or events, which would fit the atmosphere of the 1890s and seem plausible in regards to game mechanics. It's only a rename without modifying the rules (change of names for a few of cards would possibly require corresponding changes in rule wordings, but that's it).

It started as a purely personal endeavour but I have stumbled upon some cards, which are not obvious to rename and thought to ask the BGG community for help:

So here we go:
Assumptions:
- Don't rename cards, that are already historical
- Try to find something/someone, that fits a card's mechanic
- We're looking for people from broad topic of anarchism/counterterrorism in 1880-1900, though the game is supposed to take part in the year 1890.
- Cards that come in more than one copy can get more than one translation, because the world is so diverse, examples below

Cards done so far:
- Infernal Machine -> Cavalry charge; Maxim gun (two cards with identical mechanics)
- Inspector Lestrade -> Scotland Yard Special Branch
- Nadar -> Orient Express; SS Belgravia
- Zombies -> Nationalist revolution
- Cthulhu -> epidemic outbreak
- Doctor Watson -> Lucy Parsons
- Mrs Hudson -> Florence Nightingale
- Sebastian Moran -> Propaganda of the deed
- Yog -Sothoth -> Purge
- Cultists -> Newspaper

Cards I'm not sure if are good
- Society of Leopold -> The Catholic Church (removes vampires and nationalist revolutionaries, who weren't rally liked by the church in the time)
- Mi-go -> Secret Hideout
- Terrors of the Night -> Blackmail

Cards that need ideas:
- Sherlock Holmes and Moriarty
- Irene Adler - a spy coutisane? Sadly Mata Hari was 15 y.o. in 1890...
- The Diogenes Club - I thought about adding random gentleman's clubs from London, but maybe it can be done better?
- Shoggoth - some famous assassins?
- Vampires - what IRL would convert an agent and make them indestructible?
Necronomicon should just be some Egyptian relics found in the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- Cthulhu -> epidemic outbreak
-> Spanish Flu (hit europe around 1915)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.