$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
25.2% of Goal | 30 Days Left

Support:

T Y
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This was my haul from a recent CSI spree. Other than Hidden Agenda, everything was at a deep discount. The impetus for buying anything at all was Bioshock at $10. From there, I saw that Rogue Agent and Panic Station were both $5. I know there are issues with both, but still.... Time N Space, also at $5, caught my eye. And it went from there. I didn't expect to hit $100 for free shipping, but even paying for shipping, it seemed like these were good deals. And it got to the point where adding more small games didn't add much at all to shipping, so in went Car Wars Arena and Machi Koro: Millionaire's Row at $3 and $4. The crazy thing is, I don't have Machi Koro yet!

To be sure, this wasn't exactly an impulse purchase; I've seen Rogue Agent and Panic Station show up as CSI daily deals before, so I've given thought before to them. And the overall amount I spent was only a bit more than, say, Agricola costs right now on Amazon. Of course, Agricola is one of my favorite games, and it's not clear that I'd play this gaggle of games more times combined than I would Agricola going forward from this point on.

There is, after all, a reason games go on clearance - they aren't as popular. In that sense, I just accumulated a bunch of, well, I don't want to call them junk, but let's say, less desirable games. On the other hand, I'm not immune to the physical charms of board games: the artwork, the craftsmanship, the imagination, etc. So this was a relatively cheap way to add to the collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need to feel guilty for collecting.

If it makes you happy and harms no one, OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Posa
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That looks eerily similar to my recent order!

I am a relatively new boardgamer, so I don't have the deep knowledge of some who have been involved for decades, but I thought it was a good way to get some games at deep discounts that I may or may not enjoy. At 90+% off, there's almost no way to go wrong. I don't have a huge budget for games, so big sales like this are a great way for me to get a chance to play a wide variety of games. Gameplay is subjective, so just because a lot of people dislike something doesn't mean I (or you) will also dislike it.

By the way, I played Time N Space yesterday, and it was fun! Worth $5, that's for sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Y
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha ha, thanks - I'm not feeling guilty. It's more of a space issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doggie bear wrote:

This was my haul from a recent CSI spree. Other than Hidden Agenda, everything was at a deep discount. The impetus for buying anything at all was Bioshock at $10. From there, I saw that Rogue Agent and Panic Station were both $5. I know there are issues with both, but still.... Time N Space, also at $5, caught my eye. And it went from there. I didn't expect to hit $100 for free shipping, but even paying for shipping, it seemed like these were good deals. And it got to the point where adding more small games didn't add much at all to shipping, so in went Car Wars Arena and Machi Koro: Millionaire's Row at $3 and $4. The crazy thing is, I don't have Machi Koro yet!

To be sure, this wasn't exactly an impulse purchase; I've seen Rogue Agent and Panic Station show up as CSI daily deals before, so I've given thought before to them. And the overall amount I spent was only a bit more than, say, Agricola costs right now on Amazon. Of course, Agricola is one of my favorite games, and it's not clear that I'd play this gaggle of games more times combined than I would Agricola going forward from this point on.

There is, after all, a reason games go on clearance - they aren't as popular. In that sense, I just accumulated a bunch of, well, I don't want to call them junk, but let's say, less desirable games. On the other hand, I'm not immune to the physical charms of board games: the artwork, the craftsmanship, the imagination, etc. So this was a relatively cheap way to add to the collection.

You can't tell if a smaller-press game is good or bad just because it's on clearance - it's usually just because it was overprinted. Plenty of great games have ended up selling for nothing. The problem with Millionaire's Row is that the newest edition of Machi Koro comes with it. I advise you to find somebody who has the old edition and either getting it from them or selling Millionaire's Row to them. If you lived in Chicago, I'd give you mine for a song (or maybe a short soft shoe.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually it is accumulate junk. Especially if you do it for the purpose of building a collection. Once you advance to the next stage of collecting and can figure out what you enjoy best and not be fully swayed by reviewers and deals you will start finding bargains amongst these clearance piles. However that takes some time and before doing that most people buy a lot of junk early on seeing how marked down the games are off MSRP. A lot of people also buy junk that doesn't match their preferences based on the words of reviewers. Eventually a lot of people move past this and can utilize reviewers to find games they like and also to find games that are great, but for some reason don't hit the mainstream and end up clearance eventually. For every Sons of Anarchy and Empires: Age of Discovery there are another dozen forgettable games though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be either, neither, or both. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's junk, cheap junk is still junk. My standard reply to, "hey, it's free!" is "so's tetanus."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of the gaming transformation. I once bought up Goodwill abstract games and others in hopes that I would like one. I found one I liked and the rest were crap.

Some games amass a huge collection of older titles and enjoy them. That's great! I do not, but I learned by doing.

Try new things and quit doing what brings no value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Find what works for you, trade/sell the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather pay $100 for a single good game that I'll enjoy instead of ten mediocre $10 games that I'm tepid about. Plus, the former takes up one-tenth as much precious storage space!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago wrote:
I'd rather pay $100 for a single good game that I'll enjoy instead of ten mediocre $10 games that I'm tepid about. Plus, the former takes up one-tenth as much precious storage space!

Same. But if it's a choice between 'no game' and 'one or two games for $10 each', I'd try just about anything at that price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean, it's really about you and who you play with. Do you guys like to try new stuff? Do you play games a lot (at least once a week if not more)? For me, the idea of trying new games makes buying them cheap very attractive, because I will play just about anything and love discovering new systems. But, I'd watch how your play decisions proceed. Do you find yourself NEVER considering certain games (many of which you picked up for $10 and then sat on your shelf to never be seen again)? Then realize that you might have too many lol. If I lived in a alternate reality surrounded constantly by people willing to play games all night every night, I could justify the size my collection has gotten to, but I don't, so it's easier for me to justify buying less and moving games I haven't played. But if you have the space and disposable income, who care? If it makes you happy, then thumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.Daddy.Slim
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If the game is cheap enough, it might be worth buying even if you know nothing about it. I just got Strain for $3.90 at a Thrift Store. It got almost no BGG reviews and the few that it had, were conflicting. To me its worth $4 just to try the game..

The biggest issue I have with it, is that the directions are crap, and there are no online tutorials, so it might take me a few times to figure the game out.

If I decide not to keep it, I'm out $3.90, at most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always found it funny how things that say 'You're saving X amount of money!' really don't save you $X because you end up spending $Y. Anyways, what's the point of increasing the size of your collection if it's just going to gather dust. I treat buying games like I treat buying anything. Do ALOT of research. Read/watch dozens of reviews to find out if it's right for me. I still make mistakes sometimes and end up selling or trading games but it has only made me even more wary of the games I buy. I don't want to buy a game that is just OK. I want something that is going to be AMAZING!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearance stuff is mostly junk honestly.

Except that one time I got Gates of Loyang on deep deep deep discount. Good times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked Space Dealer, so I think Time 'n' Space is a great buy at $5. And if you don't like the game, it's a good source for one-time minute sand timers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
I've become a bit more circumspect about the games I buy, but $5 games are pretty hard to pass up, especially if the shop has a customer hold feature. It's not just OLGS either, I'll buy virtually any interesting looking game at my local resale shop. Worst case scenario the games go off to my FLGS game auction where I'll probably get my $5 back in store credit.

For things like the MM deal of the day, if it's 10 bucks or more I'll at least read some BGG reviews to see if it seems like something I'd be interested in. I haven't bought much that was truly crap yet.

All this to say, I think OLGS deals are probably about as likely to be an opportunity to build a collection as they are a chance to collect junk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely went through that phase. I did find a few diamonds in the rough that I probably would have missed otherwise (Lords of Xidit, I'm lookin' at you!), but most of the games I bought on bargain basement clearouts have since been traded or sold out of my collection.

As someone else mentioned, the games aren't always bad. Sometimes they just made way too many (see: any thread about the piles of Mayday games at random Savers locations for 5.99). So you might luck out.

I'm now pretty firmly in the "I'd rather spend $100 on a game I know I'd play than $10 each on 10 games that might never make it off the shelf."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It works best if your treasure is most other people's trash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some good games don't sell well and end up on clearance sales. Miniature Market used to have some very good ones for $15 or less, such as Felinia, Asgard, Africana and The Swarm. In fact, The Swarm ended up with a similar price nearly everywhere, and it's a great game from Kramer & Kiesling, my favorite in the network-building category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to find most of my board games here on BGG auctions, but most recent exceptions were Alien Uprising and Mwahahaha!. Most of these titles have been positive since I won't buy a game until after I've researched it thoroughly (it has to be worth the space premium!).

Minis on the other hand, I am a clearance junkie. Most recently got some Battletech pods at $2-3 per figure. Didn't even know they had a Battletech game and great add to my "Little Green Men" force I'm building for skirmish gaming homebrew.

Personally I think a lot of the clearance items are more loss leaders vs. bad or junk. Look at how many people (myself included) go to a site to check out that one clearance priced item and end up ordering a cart of much more. It's like the online equivalent of grocery store impulse purchase aisles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Usually I find sale games with an average rating of 7 or more tend to be decent games that are overstock or loss leaders. Between a rating of 6 to 7 it's kind of variable. I check out reviews and the negative end of the ratings comments more and tend to buy only very deep discounted titles in that rating range.

I also tend to not place an order unless I can fill up my cart with mostly with items that were on my wishlist before the sale, buying stuff just because it's on sale yields a lot of crap games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett X
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that if you are new to gaming it's a good way to find out how your tastes run. You'll never know until you try. Not every game is for everybody. Some of my favorite games on here are rated around the 6 mark by the general community, whereas after playing Keyflower which was in the top 10 when I bought it, I couldn't get rid of it fast enough!

Experiment, find out what you like, then this S
matthean wrote:
Find what works for you, trade/sell the rest.

What does everybody do with the games that don't trade or sell? Throwing them out seems like a waste...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one that I'm even halfway interested in from that picture is whatever's in the Trader Joe's bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.