Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I was very impressed with the box! I really like the box. Though it's a shame I'll likely have to ditch it in order to find something else that will also fit the expansion packs, dice, and player mats. Ah, "first world" problems!

The rest of the components are nice. Love the dice. The printing on the cards is very good and colorful. The cards are thin, but sturdy. I like that as the decks won't be so tall. But there's one more comment about the components... was it only me who got the wrong impression? ... I was under the impression that the player mats were printed on card stock. Instead, the mats are printed on glossy paper and folded for storage. The creases prevent the mats from laying flat.

Yeah, I realized during the campaign that the box was small, so I naturally assumed that the [what I thought to be] flat (full-sized) player mats would be stored/carried separately (a cardboard-stiffened large envelope would've sufficed for that). I never thought they would be folded with sharp creases as the result.

Otherwise, I look forward to getting it to the table... Looks like fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dong
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm putting the cards, rules, and 3 player mats in the box and storing the dice and 4-6 player pack separately.

I'll probably end up laminating the 3 'extra' player mats or at the very least putting them in sheet protectors.

John - Do you have any extra 'empty' game boxes (true extras or left overs from the used for replacement parts sets) that you would be interested in selling? I'll buy one to store the stuff that doesn't fit in the original box (mainly the beautiful dice).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Were they "folded with sharp creases" making them completely useless or just requiring extra effort to make them flat and usable?

Some pictures would be great.

Wonder what the status of the Canadian orders is......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmair62 wrote:
Wonder what the status of the Canadian orders is......
Same here, so far it seems that neither side is willing to interrupt postal service and that currently there is no strike/lockout in sight.

I also don't see the difference between the game sitting in a postal facility somewhere or not being shipped, so unless the thought is to use a different carrier why not just send them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

rmair62 wrote:
Were they "folded with sharp creases" making them completely useless or just requiring extra effort to make them flat and usable?

Some pictures would be great.

I'll take and post some pix if needed, but perhaps this description will do, instead:

The mats are printed on heavy glossy paper. And yes, the creases are sharp. Though the mats are not completely useless. With effort, the creases can be flattened enough, to be usable. But as there's no way to get the mats completely flat, you'll have to deal with minor rises in your mat along each crease.

If you've seen any of the good paper maps that a lot of wargames come with, you'll know what I'm talking about. Many wargamers will use a sheet of Plexiglas to lay over the top of the map, to keep it all nice and flat.

Such a solution though, isn't good for playing with cards as it's "almost impossible" to pick cards up off Plexiglas!

Please keep in mind that I haven't actually played with the mats yet, so it may not be an issue at all! I'm merely reporting on the condition of the mats as they come in the box, which is not what I was expecting as I described in my OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wrot!
United States
Alhanbra
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Barry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wrot!
United States
Alhanbra
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisemsd wrote:
John - Do you have any extra 'empty' game boxes (true extras or left overs from the used for replacement parts sets) that you would be interested in selling? I'll buy one to store the stuff that doesn't fit in the original box (mainly the beautiful dice).

Sadly no. I have exactly zero extra game boxes. ; /
Thanks for asking though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wrot!
United States
Alhanbra
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
rmair62 wrote:

A simple Reverse crease lays them flat. They might have a touch of bump, but nothing that makes the cards fly off. You technically don't need them anyway. They're on the list of "I put it in there because it seemed like it belonged even though its optional." I tend to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Riley
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

I was very impressed with the box! I really like the box. Though it's a shame I'll likely have to ditch it in order to find something else that will also fit the expansion packs, dice, and player mats. Ah, "first world" problems!

Pretty my thoughts as well.

The box looks really nice however since I got all of the expansions and extra players mats, I will probably resort to making my own storage solution as the play mats dont really fit in the section unless they are at an angle and I have too much stuff to put in there to make that work

My players mats are under a stack of books at the moment in order to help flatten them out. I tried to start a game this morning as a test run but didnt get too far. The mats popped up enough that cards might slide and I noticed all of the cards were printed upside down.

I completely reserve judgement until I have finished a game though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wrot!
United States
Alhanbra
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
az933k wrote:
I noticed all of the cards were printed upside down.

That's so that when they flip down into the Gene Stream from the deck the flip organically. : )

az933k wrote:
I completely reserve judgement until I have finished a game though

I respect that. That's cool, especially since not everyone does. It's hard to resist. : )

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.