BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Art and Graphic Design

Subject: Which Card Layout Do You Prefer? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Bishop
United States
California
flag msg tools
So I am producing a card game that (for the sake of speed) let us say it has almost identical mechanics as Pokemon Cards.

You are a necromancer, you summon undead minions to fight for you, the minions do not attack and defend (like in Magic the Gathering) instead the minions all use abilities which you have to pay for (like in Pokemon Cards). Every minion will have four abilities which makes things pretty tight.

I have one layout which is a pretty obvious rip off of Magic the Gathering for now just at this very early mock-up stage just to feel out the dimensions. And I have one layout in which the minion illustration is to the right and the abilities are on the left, so that when the player is fanning out their cards they can see the abilities more easily and it gives a different perspective on the minion illustration. Let me know your thoughts on each direction please.

(These do not reflect the final product, I will be putting them in the hands of a professional graphic designer once a direction is picked to completely overhaul them).

Thank you for your time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Admiral L Squared
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Trigirl being this lock consensus good read for so many people, I find it really bizarre that she's alive. There's a threshold where if she's still alive she should probably be murdalated. -Dangerface
badge
Born to be a king, I ask one thing in return: a front seat to watch Earth burn.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the bottom, but that font really needs to be more readable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Bushey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also would find the second easier to use
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Bishop
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thank you for the feedback!

The readability is partly due to me reducing the image quality to make the image file size smaller. But yeah the graphic designer will decide the final font further down the line
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Monnat Jr
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
I third the motion for the 2nd card. My only concern would be fitting all of your art in that aspect ratio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Oborn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Top is standard design for cards. It has a lot of blank space which is no good. Bottom looks good, especially if the artwork is longer. If you have wide artwork, might cause a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bottom one is interesting. Just change the font.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davin Nisser
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
The second. I agree that the font should be more readable, at least for the rules text. You might try eliminating the box around the illustration and fading the background to white in that area. It might look more uniform and would give you more room for rules text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
count me with everyone else
the 2nd one is great. Its different from your standard card but didn't loose anything in info, style, or ease of use. The art being portray may take some work to really take advantage of but you could get some very dynamic art working quite well. Also it favors the quick read if your holding the card in a normal splay hand.
You may want to have the action cost symbols above the action rather than on the side to get more horizontal space for the words, or maybe in line with the action's title.
also +1 to having the font legible but it kinda seems like that detail was just lost in uploading or something, but still the more 'normal' the font the better.

That is a very refreshing change and I wish you the best of luck on it as I really hope it catches on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Bishop
United States
California
flag msg tools

Thank you for all the great feedback.

Almost all of the creatures will be humanoid, so I think the tall thin art box will work well in the long run. And I like the advice about losing the box borders so free up a little space. I feel much more confident with the direction now, thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HaNd_SoLo wrote:
The second. I agree that the font should be more readable, at least for the rules text. You might try eliminating the box around the illustration and fading the background to white in that area. It might look more uniform and would give you more room for rules text.

Could make the image fill the whole card; with the right-side at full saturation and fading to the left. The text could then "float" on that (e.g. a dark-color font with a white edging to offset it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hibbert
msg tools
I also prefer the bottom and agree that the typeface needs to be changed.

Any reason why the abilities aren't ordered by their cost?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Bishop
United States
California
flag msg tools
The abilities are generally ordered as:

Physical Attack
Magical Attack
Buff
Debuff

Which makes a little more sense in the larger context of the game.
Although in the second mock-up I actually messed that order up while quickly copy-and-pasting the pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.