Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
von gRaven
Germany
Lübeck
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey everyone

I need your help. I am a lucky guy because my girlfriend plays my games with me and our friends and is mostly really interested in them. She would play Mage Knight again with me or Alien Legandary Encounters or...

But her favorite game by far is Yahtzee or the German "Kniffel". I mean it is nice to play it sometimes in the evening with zero setup time and just a few minutes play time. But I am tired of it, it has been some hard evenings in the last time. She can't even stop this game.

Therefore we need or ME needs a new game which might be a fit for this "it is late and we are tired but just a small round of..." kind of game.

So which light (ultra light?) games come to your mind with nearly no setup time? I guess she also likes the moment when she lifts the cup to see what's the roll. So that kind of tension would be nice, too.

I considered Splendor but I am not quite sure about that by now. But I personally like games with nice artwork and material even if it is just a "small" game.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Pickomino (Heckmeck am Bratwurmeck)
Qwixx
maybe even King of Tokyo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie Dice - ultra light game. You roll the dice a few times and see who busts first
+1 to king of tokyo (but with more than the 2 of you)
that is if you want to stick with dice chucking....do you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elder Sign, not the lightest set up, but pretty yatzeeish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David T
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Flip Cityhas a push your luck element, is very light, little set up and can be played quickly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Phillips
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll through the ages is Yahtzee with a Civ theme. It's pretty light, but has real strategic choices to make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

A bit off topic, but have you considered Elder Sign as the middle ground for both of you ?

The main driving aspect of this game is the Yahtzee dice rolling mechanism, but it adds a bit more rules/complexity and a lot of theme. It's not a super short game though and while it does look like a complex game at first glance, it's actually really light. If you like the game, do yourself a favour and get the Gates of Arkham expansions -- the game becomes much better on all levels.

The game has been featured on ►TableTop.

Back to your question, here are some light and (relatively) short games:

Dungeon Roll

Dice !

Jaipur

Las Vegas

Dice !

Machi Koro

Dice !

Pandemic: The Cure

Dice !

Tiny Epic Galaxies

Dice !

Zombie Dice

Dice !

Catan Dice Game

Dice !

Roll Through the Ages: The Iron Age

Dice !

Pandemic: The Cure is probably the "heaviest" game on this list, but it's cooperative, which can be nice in this situation, so I added it anyway.

There are 2 alternatives to Zombie Dice: Martian Dice and Cthulhu Dice. Or you could consider one of Zombie Dice's rethemed versions (check the game's BGG page).

Good luck and have fun !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manisha DS
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll For It! is ultra light, quick to play but still retains the excitement of getting the numbers you need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Kitchener
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saint Malo

Components consist of dice, wipe-away boards and dry erase markers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew someone would quickly suggest King of Tokyo - but to me that doesn't really have much in common with Yahtzee.

It sounds like your girlfriend likes the simple risk management push-your-luck element in Yahtzee, so for a similar game experience with virtually zero setup time, I recommend Lost Cities. Scoring at the end of the game can be a little tedious, but there are plenty of apps for that.

Jaipur has already been suggested; although different, it just feels similar to Lost Cities. I find it a bit less abstract, but setup takes 2-3 minutes - clearly not much, but enough to make a few complaint.

Edit: I should know my gaming terms, as indicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
More entertaining than it appears to be: Farkle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some more dicegame suggestions:
Shanghaien is a quiet fun 2 player dice game with some interesting majority scoring where you compete for cards you score.
And Blueprints is one where you build with your dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit of a sucker for dice games. Here's my thoughts on a few:

Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age - Nearly no setup, quick to play, and plenty of strategic opportunity. Highly recommended.

Roll Through the Ages: The Iron Age - Also decent, but I feel it tries to be a bit more than it should. Not a bad game, but start with Bronze Age.

Catan Dice Game - Vastly simpler than Roll Through the Ages, but fun now and then. Probably on par with Yahtzee as far as complexity (maybe even a bit simpler with less math going on).

Pandemic: The Cure - A streamlined, dice-based version of Pandemic. Very quick to set up. I think I like this better than original Pandemic (though I don't have any of the expansions for the original to compare with).

Dungeon Roll - Fun, quick, and nearly zero setup time if you store the treasure tokens in a small bag you can draw from, eliminating the need to separate them from the experience tokens whenever you want to play. Not a whole lot of tension, though; usually it's fairly obvious when you should push on to another floor, or when it's time to pack it in. If you buy the expansion cards, you'll have a lot of different heroes to spice up the game with different powers, though.

Tiny Epic Galaxies - A nice little simplified 4X type of game. I don't know that I would call it a "dice game", but the dice will determine what actions you have available on your turn, kind of like Roll Through the Ages. There's some piece movement and light worker placement on top of that, though. The lack of variable player powers is slightly disappointing, but it does have a nice solo game.

If she's into head-to-head stuff, you might check out the Dicemasters series of games. It's a bit like Magic the Gathering, but with dice instead of card-play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice Town uses similar mechanisms as Yahtzee, but it has a nifty 'old american west' theme. It plays well with two or up to five, and has little set-up time. It has an expansion but that expansion is not necessary to enjoy the game fully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Martian Dice
+1 Pickomino
TransAmerica or Trans Europa
+1 Machi Koro
Can't Stop
The Boss
Liar's Dice (Perudo)
Santorini
Backgammon
Quoridor

Cardline: Globetrotter or Timeline: Inventions

Battle Line - takes about 45 minutes, so maybe too long?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
I really like Nations: The Dice Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre C
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I know you're sick of Yahtzee, but you might want to take a look at Yahtzee Free for All. A slightly different mechanic which may make it more interesting when it's not just the two of you playing. You can also grab some cups and play Liar's Dice with it.

Another one that comes to mind and has played well recently for me is 6 Nimmt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gRafus wrote:
But her favorite game by far is Yahtzee

Skyline

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett B
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Machi Koro

-1 King of Tokyo... it's a fine game, but if you're sick of Yahtzee it's not the right antidote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dennis, your first respondent, had the answer: Qwixx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Watkins
Wales
Hengoed
flag msg tools
mbmb
+1 Roll For It!

Can't Stop - a nice simple push your luck dice roller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indian Chief is a playing card game with similar scoring to Yahtzee (you must score one unused category each round) but I think it has more interesting decisions as you're always holding some cards from one round to the next. You have 8 cards and must play 1-7 of them each round, then number of card you play is the category you score in - e.g. if you play 4 cards you score 25 points if they add up to 25 (or zero if they don't)

Other games we play for a quick 2 player game (none of these are anything like Yahtzee):

Cribbage
Connect Four
Pentago
Mancala (Kalaha)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
She would likeliy enjoy Favor of the Pharaoh, how 'bout you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Kennedy
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been one of my wife's favorites too. There are some variants that you can introduce such as a Challenge Yahtzee. Something that might keep it a little fresh. Similarly, Doodle Dice can at least put a new face on your dice rolling.

The thing I have come to understand is that sometimes, you just don't want to think or do any "work" to play a game. Even though you can pull out a Mage Knight every now and then, sometimes you just need to grab a small bunch of dice, or a deck of cards and go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit in the same situation.
Since I HATE the basic and unthemed Kniffel down to the core, for me / us Reiner Knizia's Decathlon did the trick.
The rules are free and it's basically Kniffel with built in strategy and a nice sports theme.

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.